Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #155
Mike502

Drives: 2016 C7 conv 7 speed. Black/black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
Yeahh... not the same. Nice try tho.

I agree that Ford should have made them standard, but I think it was also 100% OK that they didn't since those versions of the GT350 trim are not intended for track use and we're aimed at a demographic that was not going to track them.
Then why did ford put the coolers on ALL 17 350's ?
Because they truly f--ked up.
The 16 SS has all required coolers and catch can + brake cooling parts. How many of them are going to the track ? It's nice if you decide to do some spirited driving you have the capability to do so.
I also cancelled my order back in December and have never regretted it .....$67K no thanks. 12.5 didn't excite me either .....and the SS just hit the showroom. Great timing for sure and one of the first to hit the showroom and below MSRP + GM card. $23K difference from the 350.
There's a lot of used performance cars you can buy for $67K. I seldom buy new.

Last edited by Mike502; 03-04-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Mike502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #156
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike502 View Post
The 16 SS has all required coolers. How many of them are going to the track ? It's nice if you decide to do some spirited driving you have the capability to do so.
I also cancelled my order back in December and have never regretted it.
Holy cow. Manufacturers constantly make prior optional equipment standard on subsequent model years. EVERY manufacturer does that.

It was probably in Ford's best interest to just add them because people want to track the non-track cars. People were too dense to understand that the Track Pack cars were the one's ready for track use, and that the tech pack and base model cars were not due to no coolers being needed for street use. It's as if people didn't understand what the coolers were for. A learning experience on the buyer's part.

Ford is responding to the consumer, it's a good thing.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #157
Zeke.Malvo

Quote:
The 16 SS has all required coolers and catch can + brake cooling parts. How many of them are going to the track ? It's nice if you decide to do some spirited driving you have the capability to do so.
I also cancelled my order back in December and have never regretted it .....$67K no thanks. 12.5 didn't excite me either .....and the SS just hit the showroom. Great timing for sure and one of the first to hit the showroom and below MSRP + GM card. $23K difference from the 350.
There's a lot of used performance cars in the $67K market.
Also, you don't need coolers for spirited driving, but you do need them for track use.

I traded my old '03 Cobra for a Hyundai Sonata straight up and have not regretted it one bit either. I'm not sure how that's relevant, but I guess we both feel we make good decisions. Congrats, I think..?
Old 03-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #158
Mike502

Quote:
Holy cow. Manufacturers constantly make prior optional equipment standard on subsequent model years. EVERY manufacturer does that.

It was probably in Ford's best interest to just add them because people want to track the non-track cars. People were too dense to understand that the Track Pack cars were the one's ready for track use, and that the tech pack and base model cars were not due to no coolers being needed for street use. It's as if people didn't understand what the coolers were for. A learning experience on the buyer's part.

I'm not so sure the base or tech 350 can handle hard street driving @ red line in the summer months. It can't handle parade laps 6/10ths @ track events .That's what I've read.
I don't think 72% of the people buying the base and tech cars were dense. That's 3200 cars we are talking about. It's a nitch market for car enthusiast. If anyone is dense its ford marketing.

Last edited by Mike502; 03-04-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Mike502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #159
Zeke.Malvo

Quote:
I'm not so sure the base 350 can handle hard street driving @ red line in the summer months. It can't handle parade laps @ track events .That's what I've read.
That's just speculation at this time. We won't know until someone posts temp results for street driving. I'm leaning towards it being just fine, time will tell.

Either way, same difference to me. I wouldn't bother with a base or tech pack GT350.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #160
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Not true, I was at the GT350 track day under Fords invite at Sebring a few months ago, the instructors all said "The GT350 is the most track-capable Mustang ever". About fifty times, never once did they just say the R...heck, most cars there were't even R's...

I like the car a lot, sounded evil, but money can be better spent for that capability so I pulled my GT350 TP order awhile back and gave my slot (MSRP too) to my friend.
We'll just have to take your word for it. As for official Ford marketing, that description has only ever been given to the GT350R. What is all this "pulled my order" and "gave my slot" stuff?
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #161
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:

What you posted is completely and totally true. But even the "informed" customer is going to blame the OEM. I would side with the customer, this is a big dollar item sold as a road going race car. It should be able to take some abuse.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #162
Zeke.Malvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
What you posted is completely and totally true. But even the "informed" customer is going to blame the OEM. I would side with the customer, this is a big dollar item sold as a road going race car. It should be able to take some abuse.
I agree it should have too, but this was probably one of the battles the bean counters won in order to sneak it under $50k. But they did make it optional if you wanted to track the car, it was readily available if that was your intention with the car.

I think the people complaining, for the most part, are the ones who wanted a track pack car but didn't want to wait and settled on the tech pack car since it was already in the pipeline.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #163
Mike502

You could get the track pack but no tech option. Now for 17 all cars are track pack with the tech option. For 16 it was either one or the other. The track pack Recaros are very tight compared to a 13 boss 302 that I owned. Tech option had leather seats that would fit more people. That was another factor why 72% of cars were tech cars.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #164
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
I agree it should have too, but this was probably one of the battles the bean counters won in order to sneak it under $50k. But they did make it optional if you wanted to track the car, it was readily available if that was your intention with the car.

I think the people complaining, for the most part, are the ones who wanted a track pack car but didn't want to wait and settled on the tech pack car since it was already in the pipeline.
I can see not having coolers on the base to keep it under $50000 and knowing most won't get a base. But to take it away on the tech don't make sense since this is well over $50k and we have seen most buy this option.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #165
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

Most here recognized the limitations of the base and tech cars right away. I think examples like this Car and Driver are where the unrealistic expectations came from. The non-track, track car base MSRP was always referenced by Ford and the media when discussing the TP and R. Still, I don't know how base and tech buyers misunderstood. IMO, Ford was clear but it does put an asterisk next to those cars.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #166
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
We'll just have to take your word for it. As for official Ford marketing, that description has only ever been given to the GT350R. What is all this "pulled my order" and "gave my slot" stuff?
My dealer was giving me the car at MSRP, no BS markups. After I changed my mind my friend took over the order. Dealer gave me my deposit back, and took one from him and kept their word on price for him.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #167
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
curious do you think the 350 will hold its value far longer than the New 2016 SS?
the GT350 you can't even look at them now they are all above MSRP but to me they aren't gonna drop much as the years roll by...... Im mostly excited for 2017 1LE
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #168
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
curious do you think the 350 will hold its value far longer than the New 2016 SS?
the GT350 you can't even look at them now they are all above MSRP but to me they aren't gonna drop much as the years roll by...... Im mostly excited for 2017 1LE
It's a special model with Shelby on it.. Yes.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote