Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #1
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Ruthenium Sparkplugs - Opinions?

I have seen that NGK makes ruthenium tipped spark plugs now. Supposedly even better than iridium tipped plugs.

Supposed to give better cold starting and throttle response.

The part for the LT1 has a double fine electrode which to me looks like they may actually help as it may expose more of the air/fuel mixture to the spark.

Any one try these out or have any experience with them?
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Stick to Iridium.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:45 PM   #3
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
From what I have seen, people just say the car runs smoother, which could be a placebo.

I wouldn't expect anything quantifiable when it comes to power gain.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:50 PM   #4
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
I definitely wouldn’t go through the a** pounding of changing spark plugs just to find out...
Old 06-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Stick with stock. GM chose a plug that fit with their engine needs and it will perform well.

I've been down the avenue of swapping to different types and such, and it just doesn't have ANY positive aspect on newer cars (unless you have a specific need to switch the plug due to bolt-on's or a tune). In fact, I've found that overall plug life got worse when changing to "better" plugs and the engines never ran any better.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #6
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE View Post
I definitely wouldn’t go through the a** pounding of changing spark plugs just to find out...
What? I mean, I wouldn't change the plugs for no reason(other than Tinkeritus), but it's nowhere close to a butt pounding.

Ever see anyone change spark plugs on a rotary before? Now that's some effort.

Or better yet, Subaru's...

Past:

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 06-06-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
UnknownJinX

Found a somewhat helpful reading for real world usage of these plugs.

https://m.facebook.com/adamtuned/pos...?locale2=pt_BR

Past:
Old 06-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #8
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
What? I mean, I wouldn't change the plugs for no reason(other than Tinkeritus), but it's nowhere close to a butt pounding.

Ever see anyone change spark plugs on a rotary before? Now that's some effort.

Or better yet, Subaru's...

I was not a fan. But maybe because I did my after I did my headers and relocated the wiring harness over the passenger front plugs. Removed the coolant tank for better access. Also lost an old plug to the Camaro gods somewhere deep in the motor mount.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #9
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Ruthenium sounds like some type of material from Runescape
Old 06-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Found a somewhat helpful reading for real world usage of these plugs.

https://m.facebook.com/adamtuned/pos...?locale2=pt_BR
They basically said that the Ruthenium and Iridium plugs run the same. They did test Ruthenium plugs that were one step colder in terms of when they ignite and showed that it did reduce knock in lower octane fuels. What I -didn't- see anything about is whether they also tested one step colder Iridium plugs in the same situation.

Since a colder plug removes heat more quickly and reduces pre-det / knock, it would seem that colder Iridium would garner identical results and at a lower cost than the Ruthenium.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:06 PM   #11
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE View Post
I was not a fan. But maybe because I did my after I did my headers and relocated the wiring harness over the passenger front plugs. Removed the coolant tank for better access. Also lost an old plug to the Camaro gods somewhere deep in the motor mount.
Yeah I saw you have to remove the coolant reservoir so that can be a bit of work. Still miles better than what Subaru guys have to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
They basically said that the Ruthenium and Iridium plugs run the same. They did test Ruthenium plugs that were one step colder in terms of when they ignite and showed that it did reduce knock in lower octane fuels. What I -didn't- see anything about is whether they also tested one step colder Iridium plugs in the same situation.

Since a colder plug removes heat more quickly and reduces pre-det / knock, it would seem that colder Iridium would garner identical results and at a lower cost than the Ruthenium.
I think they tested the Californian 91 fuel with the Ruthenium spark plugs of the same heat range as the Iridium plugs, but yeah the post isn't 100% clear on that. That, and the Fiesta ST seem to be the only cases where they saw a gain in power, or rather, a conservation in the original power as those cars don't pull timing as much.

Also, wouldn't run colder plugs on a stock or mildly modded car if you are daily driving it. It could foul the spark plugs.

It seems like most people online who notice a difference are either due for a spark plug change anyway(so even new Iridium spark plugs could also have made the same improvements), or are turbocharged(which are harsher on the spark plugs to start with).

So with a stock NA car, I doubt there is much benefit as Iridium spark plugs are already good for 100k miles or so, and there are concerns with spark plugs fusing with the aluminum heads if the spark plugs are left in for too long. With the FI cars, there could be some benefit from the Ruthenium plugs as they don't tend to last as long(I think the FI Camaro's need spark plugs at 60k miles instead of 100k miles).

Even on the NGK website, the performance difference between Iridium and Ruthenium is very small. They quote a 0.2 second advantage with Ruthenium over Iridium over a period of 23 seconds, so with our cars that can do 0-60 in mid to low 4 seconds, the ambient temperature can probably cause more fluctuation than Ruthenium spark plugs ever could.

So... Yeah, I wouldn't try them unless I am due for a spark plug change anyway.

Past:
Old 06-07-2021, 03:09 PM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
I think they tested the Californian 91 fuel with the Ruthenium spark plugs of the same heat range as the Iridium plugs, but yeah the post isn't 100% clear on that. That, and the Fiesta ST seem to be the only cases where they saw a gain in power, or rather, a conservation in the original power as those cars don't pull timing as much.

Also, wouldn't run colder plugs on a stock or mildly modded car if you are daily driving it. It could foul the spark plugs.

It seems like most people online who notice a difference are either due for a spark plug change anyway(so even new Iridium spark plugs could also have made the same improvements), or are turbocharged(which are harsher on the spark plugs to start with).

So with a stock NA car, I doubt there is much benefit as Iridium spark plugs are already good for 100k miles or so, and there are concerns with spark plugs fusing with the aluminum heads if the spark plugs are left in for too long. With the FI cars, there could be some benefit from the Ruthenium plugs as they don't tend to last as long.

Even on the NGK website, the performance difference between Iridium and Ruthenium is very small. They quote a 0.2 second advantage with Ruthenium over Iridium over a period of 23 seconds, so with our cars that can do 0-60 in mid to low 4 seconds, the ambient temperature can probably cause more fluctuation than Ruthenium spark plugs ever could.
Yes, the specific use case was for people that couldn't get better than 91. The Premium Fuel in our cars, for example, is specifically to avoid knock. If you drop the octane, the risk of knock will go up. That would be a situation where a colder plug could help, but it wasn't clear if they did any sort of test with a colder Iridium...
Old 06-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #13
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I imagine these would be the same at the beginning of their life as iridium, then as you reach 75k miles and beyond, the difference gap widens a bit with these outperforming the iridium. With these plugs basically being one-and-done for the life of the car.

I'd expect these to become standard in many vehicles assuming ngk can make enough of them as they turn them into something you'd only need to service if the car was failing in some other way (bad injector causing plug fouling or overheating or bad gas)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
it may expose more of the air/fuel mixture to the spark.
Maybe. And will that result in any measurable performance difference?
The igniter on my weber grill has been sparking to what's left of the rusted plates for 20 years. The gas always seems to find the spark.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote