#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #113
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE View Post
Note what it says about 1LE. Appreciate link. Printed and in my file.

Chris.
There's no reason for it to exclude the 1LE as it's identical in every way except tires, wheels, body mounts, DSSV, and aero (And a few other parts). The only reason I could see there being a reason is they're expecting 1LEs to be tracked HARD and therefore a more extreme track oil like the 15w50 would be better. Likely the 0w40 works for most tracking situations but if you're only after a track oil then a more serious track oil will have more benefits. I would run it no problem on a 1LE if I owned it.

This may be a good question to run by Al O.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #114
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Taking mine in today for the 1500 mile service. :-)

I drove it like crazy to get the 500 and then the 1500 miles. Going to head to the Firm in Starke Florida for an open track day now that ill be all set.
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #115
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
This should answer the question as to which engines are being upgraded to the new Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40.

See the section circled in red. It's from page 2 of the new oil's FAQ sheet.
Notice this circled area doesn't include LT5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim202 View Post
OK, coming from a guy who is a mechanical dumbarse......If I get this oil put into the car, and on a track day the engine goes 'poof', will it still be covered? I ask because a dealer/GM could say that I didn't put the recommended oil that the Owners Manual/HP Supplement said to put in, so they will not cover it.
Yes, as mentioned you are now covered. Per Al in the link posted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303MattB View Post
OK, that screen shot about the 0w-40 DEXTOS 2 for the Camaro LT4 looks to be a mobile oil document. Is there a GM document that states that? I do see that the ZL1 has it listed in the High Performance owners supplement for track use. But, it also says the 15W-50 for the 1LE for track use. So, not sure if my 1LE would be OK on the track with the 0w-40. If I run 15W-50 on the track, I'm not sure 0W-40 for the street is worth it.

I get that people like it, and as a rule I try to use the lowest W number and a high end number so it sounds great. But, trying to follow GM's direction for a while anyway. If anyone has a link or can reference a GM publication that would be great.
Link below straight from GM Camaro Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexslayer View Post
I spoke with my dealer - he said Mobil 1 ESP 0w40 Dexos 2 is a replacement for the street NOT the track. I should still use the recommended track oil. If anyone has heard otherwise please let me know.
Only the ZL1 1LE and the ZR1 are excluded from this due to G-forces they can produce.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1104
Size:  51.6 KB
...............................................^^^^This RPO # is ZL1 1LE package only. Does not apply to SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
There's no reason for it to exclude the 1LE as it's identical in every way except tires, wheels, body mounts, DSSV, and aero (And a few other parts). The only reason I could see there being a reason is they're expecting 1LEs to be tracked HARD and therefore a more extreme track oil like the 15w50 would be better. Likely the 0w40 works for most tracking situations but if you're only after a track oil then a more serious track oil will have more benefits. I would run it no problem on a 1LE if I owned it.

This may be a good question to run by Al O.
Awesome Thread!!!

...and once again you are exactly correct... Al just answered this question last week.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535476

Bottom line is, use this oil all the time unless you have a ZL1 1LE or ZR1 in which case you would still use this oil until you hit the road track.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #116
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
It's important to understand that the anti wear additive profile in low ash oils are reduced. Low ash oils are engineered primarily to protect your exhaust emissions system (cats) from premature wear and clogging. Low ash will also better protect your motor from the varnishing and coking effects of GDI.

The tradeoff is that a higher ash content (having a higher level of anti wear components) will better protect the moving internal components of your engine. The unfortunate byproduct in the long term is gooped up cats and intake, varnished bricks and coked intake valves and guides.

Personally, I would not run a 0W/5W-40 on the track, for the same reason that I would not run DOT3 in my brakes. Better performance and protection from 15W-50 and DOT4 at higher temperatures. I don't want to boil my brake fluid and I want all of the viscosity and wear additives that I can get when my oil temps exceed 250+.

To keep my Camaro happy, I will run Dexos 2 0W/5W-40 and DOT3 on the street and change oil a little more frequently. Understanding that low ash oil has a lower level of anti wear components that will degrade a bit more quickly with GDI/FI.

On the track to help me and my Camaro live a safe and happy life; 15W-50 and DOT4.

The best of both worlds.

Just my $0.02. Opinions will vary.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:42 AM   #117
Snakebt6

You can change the brake fluid and leave the DOT4 in it right?

I did the oil and differential at 1500 miles yesterday. I was going to do the brake fluid at my next oil change and leave it in as a permanent replacement to the stock fluid.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #118
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebt6 View Post
You can change the brake fluid and leave the DOT4 in it right?

I did the oil and differential at 1500 miles yesterday. I was going to do the brake fluid at my next oil change and leave it in as a permanent replacement to the stock fluid.
Don’t leave it too long
Dot4 will build more water than dot3
I’d say : dot 3 daily use
Dot 4 only for track then return dot3 or change dot4 regularly;-)
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #119
Snakebt6

Appreciated.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #120
ARS1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE - Hyper Blue
I had both my 1LE and the wife's ZL1 changed at 500. She's getting close to the 1500 but I'm only just over 600 so far... Need this rain to pass!!!
'18 Jeep JL Rubicon - Blue - Wife's Ride
'17 F250 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ult. Shadow Black -Kelderman 6"-8" Air Lift -Big Truck
ARS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #121
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
This..
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=18
2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

Last edited by mspeed1LE; 08-17-2018 at 03:31 PM.
mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #122
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
What are we looking for when scrolling down?

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:41 AM   #123
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
There is no next post........ I’m only seeing what you posted.

I must be loosing my mind.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #124
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
There is no next post........ I’m only seeing what you posted.

I must be loosing my mind.
Yeah you have to click to view the whole entire thread and then you can see what he's talking about but honestly it's not important, from what I can tell it's a joke about the cops pulling him over at the dealership and that's it. Nothing to do with the oil or service, etc.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #125
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
All of this literature regarding the 0w40 is for US cars only. There is nothing that corresponds to cars shipped to Canada. My dealer is also telling me there is a possibility that I will not be coevered under warranty if I use anything other than what is recommended in their service manual.
He is going above and beyond and contacting anyone he knows at GM CANADA to get a definite answer, but if anyone out there can show me literature that includes CANADAIAN BOUND ZL1s...I have no choice but use the 5w40.

The TRACK PREPARATION GUIDE is not even available in Canada.

So confused why the difference between US and CAN cars....exact same car!

HELP! HELP! HELP!
DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #126
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
Sorry guys. I messed up that post above. Fixed now.
2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote