The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-03-2023, 04:30 PM   #1
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Anyone Familiar w/ Honda/Acura Brakes?

I am looking for some input from anyone that knows the specifics of the rear brakes I'm working on...

Specific vehicle is a 2017 RDX AWD but I suspect that this brake setup is on not only other years, but on other vehicles as well...

The rear brakes consist of parking brake shoes that sit inside of the brake rotor with brake pads for vehicle stopping. The rotor does "double duty" in this case acting as the rotor for the vehicle brakes (friction brakes) and the drum for the parking brake.

My question is this... The internal / parking brake portion is super clean overall at 80k miles. I have absolutely no guess as to how to identify when it's appropriate to change the shoes. Is this a "do it every time you replace the rear brakes" thing, every other time, or something else?

TIA!
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 04:46 PM   #2
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
In an automatic do you ever engage the park brake? Do you use it to slow the vehicle down? If you drive it like most people the park brake shoes will last the life of the vehicle.
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 06:47 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwL_Wildcat View Post
In an automatic do you ever engage the park brake? Do you use it to slow the vehicle down? If you drive it like most people the park brake shoes will last the life of the vehicle.
I completely follow you, but my question is partially rooted in wanting to be sure that this specific brake is a parking brake ONLY and not used in any way as part of the friction braking system of the car.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:10 AM   #4
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I completely follow you, but my question is partially rooted in wanting to be sure that this specific brake is a parking brake ONLY and not used in any way as part of the friction braking system of the car.
If you still have it apart, measure the lining thickness with a caliper and write it down somewhere safe. Next time you do rear brakes measure them again and compare notes.
When we had kids at home we had a MDX. We put somewhere around 190,000 km on it (120,000 miles) before we traded it in. I did the brakes pads atleast once all the way around but never touched the shoes, they were like new.
If you are super worried go into the Honda/Acura parts department with your caliper and measure the thickness on a set of OEM shoes for a reference point.
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 08:21 AM   #5
stealth1ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
If it has shoes in a drum as well as pads on a disc, the shoes are only for the parking brake and therefore should last indefinitely as they’re not being used up slowing the car. Around here it’s usually rust that causes the lining to delaminate from the backing long before they wear out. So when the rotors are off, check the linings for becoming loose at the edges and replace as required
stealth1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 10:16 AM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1ss View Post
If it has shoes in a drum as well as pads on a disc, the shoes are only for the parking brake and therefore should last indefinitely as they’re not being used up slowing the car. Around here it’s usually rust that causes the lining to delaminate from the backing long before they wear out. So when the rotors are off, check the linings for becoming loose at the edges and replace as required
Thanks... That lines up with what I saw and such... As mentioned, shoes and the inner part of the rotor were "super clean". No dust, no rust, no anything. I knew it was "just" a parking brake, but I was surprised that it showed no signs of anything even though it has lived its entire life in the rust belt.

I left the shoes completely alone and replaced the rotor and pads only. Zero issues.
Old 11-30-2023, 02:09 AM   #7
cecilholder

Drives: CRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1ss View Post
If it has shoes in a drum as well as pads on a disc, the shoes are only for the parking brake and therefore should last indefinitely as they’re not being used up slowing the car. Around here it’s usually rust that causes the lining to delaminate from the backing long before they wear out. So when the rotors are off, check the dinosaur game linings for becoming loose at the edges and replace as required
You're absolutely right. On a vehicle with both rear drum brakes for the parking brake and rear disc brakes for the service brakes, the drum brake shoes are indeed only actuated for the parking brake function. As such, the drum brake shoes should last a very long time and not wear out from friction like the disc brake pads, since they are not used for normal braking events.
cecilholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 08:26 PM   #8
sds

Drives: ZLE
I’m very familiar with these brakes — they only need to be replaced if they fail, which they generally only do after 15-20 years in salt/rust prone areas.
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:54 PM   #9
AlisoBob

Drives: Camaro 2SS Gen 5
When you grab a handful of E-Brake, to increase cornering fun..... you'll notice they need periodic replacement.
AlisoBob is offline   Reply With Quote