The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2024, 10:21 AM   #1
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Reported!

I would like to just take the opportunity to help out MLee and the other mods by re-iterating that once you report a spam post there's no need to post that you have done so. Per MLee, this just further complicates their efforts to clean up and remove the thread. I know, I've been spanked for doing it.
Happy to help you guys out!

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:51 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I would like to just take the opportunity to help out MLee and the other mods by re-iterating that once you report a spam post there's no need to post that you have done so. Per MLee, this just further complicates their efforts to clean up and remove the thread. I know, I've been spanked for doing it.

Thank you... we get the links so keep the spam buried and not bumped to the top.

Seems like SPAM is getting a lot worse now too.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:12 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
To me, it's mostly just to let other people know it's been reported and there is no need to report it again. I mean would the mods rather deal with one report per spam that has 1 person posting "reported" or deal with 100+ reports per spam post from different people cause no one knows if anyone else reported it? Some mornings when I get on I've seen 5-6 spam posts so would they rather have to wade through 500-600 reports or just 5-6.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:58 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
To me, it's mostly just to let other people know it's been reported and there is no need to report it again. I mean would the mods rather deal with one report per spam that has 1 person posting "reported" or deal with 100+ reports per spam post from different people cause no one knows if anyone else reported it? Some mornings when I get on I've seen 5-6 spam posts so would they rather have to wade through 500-600 reports or just 5-6.
The comment from mlee a couple of months ago on this was that it's easier for them to deal with multiple reports than it is to deal with bumped posts. I don't remember what thread that comment was in but perhaps he can repost it here.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:14 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
yesterday was especially bad....one guy had 2 accounts set up....only thing different was the name .......and was constantly posting over and over in 2 threads the same giberish. when I came across them each thread was up to over 30 posts and his posts were the only posts in the thread.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:42 AM   #6
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
These spammers are definitely aggravating! Maybe somebody can explain WHAT DO THEY GAIN by posting?!?! Are people giving them their credit card #s and SS #s? None of the other forums I go to have this problem. I do my part and report/no bump but our Mods and Admin have to be getting overwhelmed.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:18 AM   #7
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
HPT forum was getting hit harder than normal over the weekend.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 10:19 AM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
These spammers are definitely aggravating! Maybe somebody can explain WHAT DO THEY GAIN by posting?!?! Are people giving them their credit card #s and SS #s? None of the other forums I go to have this problem. I do my part and report/no bump but our Mods and Admin have to be getting overwhelmed.
Most of the time, the sites they link generate money based on clicks similar to ad revenue so they don't need your info. Another tactic is that they do this to spike the amount of hits a site gets so they can turn around and sell the domain for large amounts claiming it gets a lot of visitors.

Though always be weary since a lot of times they will have viruses embedded in either the cookies or the img files and are doing it just to be malicious hoping to infest peoples computers.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 01:37 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
The comment from mlee a couple of months ago on this was that it's easier for them to deal with multiple reports than it is to deal with bumped posts. I don't remember what thread that comment was in but perhaps he can repost it here.
Multiple reports are perfectly fine and a reminder it's still there.

We have a function to select all post and Delete/Ban at the same time. When folks start posting we have to weed them out so they don't get banned too. It also bumps the spam to the top.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:06 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Thanks. I do remember seeing mlee's comments on this subject, hence why I don't post a "reported" note. I also do my best to help them weed out all this crap we have been getting hit hard with lately. Since I'm retired now and spend a lot of time on here trying to help folks out, I do see a lot of garbage and do my best to report it all. I do go through EVERY section when I'm on just to read what everyone has going on, you never know, I might just have an answer for their particular problem. Thanks Mike and your crew for all you do!! Appreciate it!!
Old 02-14-2024, 03:04 PM   #11
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
The spam doesn’t bother me, you can spot it a mile away and simply ignore it. It’s the slow reaction time when interacting with the website? may be due to the influx of spam?
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:47 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Thanks. I do remember seeing mlee's comments on this subject, hence why I don't post a "reported" note. I also do my best to help them weed out all this crap we have been getting hit hard with lately. Since I'm retired now and spend a lot of time on here trying to help folks out, I do see a lot of garbage and do my best to report it all. I do go through EVERY section when I'm on just to read what everyone has going on, you never know, I might just have an answer for their particular problem. Thanks Mike and your crew for all you do!! Appreciate it!!
You're welcome...

And for SPAM there is no need to even type anything. Just hit the report button and submit. Keep it simple...
Old 02-15-2024, 08:05 AM   #13
NoDakZ/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28 CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You're welcome...

And for SPAM there is no need to even type anything. Just hit the report button and submit. Keep it simple...
When I do that it says "Please enter a reason for reporting this post"?
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
NoDakZ/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:52 AM   #14
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDakZ/28 View Post
When I do that it says "Please enter a reason for reporting this post"?
Same here. I just type in "Spam" and send it.