Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Phastek Performance

Old 04-26-2023, 06:31 PM   #1
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Review of Cheapo Splitter

I wanted to try out a splitter on the LT1 without spending all kinds of dough (as I may just yank it off, if I don’t like the scraping etc.) A decent and relatively low cost brand, with solid reviews, is typically ~$250. After a bit of a search, I ended up buying a 3 piece design off EBay , for $85 (including tax and shipping). It arrived from Cali today and took a week via Fed Ex.The splitter was well protected, and looked exactly as I expected it to. The matte finish looked really good.

As I began to assemble it, I found that the outermost screws of the center section, created small divets …2 screws, 2 divets). No instruction came with the product, but this was 100% preventable if I didn’t snug those screws so tight.

I decided to do a quick paint of the splitter to make it satin black (to match the hood vent and wrap on the spoiler. That slight sheen on the splitter exposed 2 very small ABS imperfections, at either corner. Not a big deal…you really need to look to see them, but they’re there.

Next up, fitment… It’s really good, nearly factory fit. Just a small gap on the upper passenger side of the splitter. Everything else is perfect. Pretty surprising.

I added no extra screws (none of the supplied) and no double sided tape (which I will do and buy, as they don’t provide it).

All in it will cost $95 (need double sided tape) Looks and fits much better than expected, for just a test mule.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chutzpah; 04-26-2023 at 07:54 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:22 AM   #2
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Nice. My guess is that the gap will shift/change/go away once tape it added.

Did it come with rivets to install along the front-most portion?

The only real reason I believe most three piece ones aren't one piece is to make them easier and cheaper to ship (which is how they are pretty much all delivered). I remember how big the box was that mine came in...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:55 AM   #3
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Did similar, looks the same, on a K5 a few months ago really had to free hand and DIY the installation but it's held up and looks good.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 03:51 PM   #4
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Nice. My guess is that the gap will shift/change/go away once tape it added.

Did it come with rivets to install along the front-most portion?

The only real reason I believe most three piece ones aren't one piece is to make them easier and cheaper to ship (which is how they are pretty much all delivered). I remember how big the box was that mine came in...
Hope you’re right on the tape shifting filling that small space on one side.

They didn’t provide rivets…just course thread screws. There’s no way I’d install either… tape is fine. That ABS is pretty tough stuff (same material as my ACS rock guards)

I may upgrade at some point, we’ll see. Depends on how usable I think the car is with it on (although I do like the look of front end way more with a splitter)
Old 04-27-2023, 04:28 PM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Hope you’re right on the tape shifting filling that small space on one side.

They didn’t provide rivets…just course thread screws. There’s no way I’d install either… tape is fine. That ABS is pretty tough stuff (same material as my ACS rock guards)

I may upgrade at some point, we’ll see. Depends on how usable I think the car is with it on (although I do like the look of front end way more with a splitter)
Mine came with rivets to install at the leading edge of the bumper where it comes in contact - I did not install them (it would require drilling the plastic of the bumper). Mine was also one piece but did have the tape on it.

A quality 3M VHB should work quite well. A light sanding of the ABS before applying it, some pressure and some light heat will get it all to seal up very nicely.

My skirts and splitter are all unpainted and that's generally ok by me. I am considering taping everything off and painting them all, though, just to give a little nicer look to them overall.
Old 04-27-2023, 06:25 PM   #6
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Mine came with rivets to install at the leading edge of the bumper where it comes in contact - I did not install them (it would require drilling the plastic of the bumper). Mine was also one piece but did have the tape on it.

A quality 3M VHB should work quite well. A light sanding of the ABS before applying it, some pressure and some light heat will get it all to seal up very nicely.

My skirts and splitter are all unpainted and that's generally ok by me. I am considering taping everything off and painting them all, though, just to give a little nicer look to them overall.
Oh boy, As I’m sure you already know.. rattle can mist carries and falls out everywhere. Having a nice white car like you, I couldn’t bring myself to spray any paint within 75’ of it, unless it was wrapped like a cocoon. I saw your videos, I personally would leave them alone. They look great.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:11 PM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Oh boy, As I’m sure you already know.. rattle can mist carries and falls out everywhere. Having a nice white car like you, I couldn’t bring myself to spray any paint within 75’ of it, unless it was wrapped like a cocoon. I saw your videos, I personally would leave them alone. They look great.
Thanks for the compliment.

I agree that the thought of painting anywhere near my car scares the daylights out of me. I would have to come up with a way to basically seal off pretty much the entirety of the car with probably both paper and plastic. I could absolutely remove them, but it would not be an easy process because of the tape.

Honestly, though, one of the primary reasons I would probably -not- paint them is because there are some slight scuffs on the skirts from my shoes hitting them. While they aren't really all that noticeable currently, my guess is that putting paint and some clear coat on them increases the risk of them showing wear and tear. And if I'm not going to paint skirts, then I also wouldn't paint the splitter.

So, yeah. I guess I just talked myself out of it.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:44 PM   #8
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
I got the same ebay splitter and I like it a lot. Finally some bolt on parts are coming in that don't cost $400.

turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:17 PM   #9
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojeep95 View Post
I got the same ebay splitter and I like it a lot. Finally some bolt on parts are coming in that don't cost $400.

I know huh? And…same splitter can be had in gloss black for ~10-15 bucks more (EBay).

That exact splitter going for close to $400 (Gloss black at a large online retailer). That’s a heck of a profit margin!