Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #1
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Mystery parasitic battery drain

Went away for a one week vacation and left the car (2017 3.6 V6 4500 mi) In the garage. Returned to a dead battery, measured at 4.3 V with a multimeter. Would not accept a charge from my Schumacher smart charger; kept displaying "bad" on the digital display. After 3 attempts, I set the charger to "engine start" mode for about 45 minutes, and that gave it enough charge that the charger was able to go through its full automated charge cycle.

I had a service appointment a few days later at the dealer for an unrelated issue, and asked them to check the battery and charging system. Results: battery OK, charging system OK, parasitic draw at rest measured 0.20 millivolts. The tech told me anything under 0.25 is acceptable.

I had installed extra LED lights on the inside of the trunk lid and he thought that might be the problem. The draw measured the same with them connected and disconnected, so that was not the issue. He told me I would need to leave the car there for at least 2 days so he could troubleshoot over a long time span with a recording meter. Not ready to do that yet while the weather is nice.

My one thought is that I had connected the Infotainment system to my home WI FI just to check it out, and never disabled it. Could it be possible that the WI FI could be intermitently waking up the computer causing a larger than at-rest draw? The tech did not know if that could be an issue or not.

Anyone with a similar issue figure what would cause this mystery drain?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
DanSnow

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Went away for a one week vacation and left the car (2017 3.6 V6 4500 mi) In the garage. Returned to a dead battery, measured at 4.3 V with a multimeter. Would not accept a charge from my Schumacher smart charger; kept displaying "bad" on the digital display. After 3 attempts, I set the charger to "engine start" mode for about 45 minutes, and that gave it enough charge that the charger was able to go through its full automated charge cycle.

I had a service appointment a few days later at the dealer for an unrelated issue, and asked them to check the battery and charging system. Results: battery OK, charging system OK, parasitic draw at rest measured 0.20 millivolts. The tech told me anything under 0.25 is acceptable.

I had installed extra LED lights on the inside of the trunk lid and he thought that might be the problem. The draw measured the same with them connected and disconnected, so that was not the issue. He told me I would need to leave the car there for at least 2 days so he could troubleshoot over a long time span with a recording meter. Not ready to do that yet while the weather is nice.

My one thought is that I had connected the Infotainment system to my home WI FI just to check it out, and never disabled it. Could it be possible that the WI FI could be intermitently waking up the computer causing a larger than at-rest draw? The tech did not know if that could be an issue or not.

Anyone with a similar issue figure what would cause this mystery drain?
I've seen a few posts similar to this and even though the dealerships always say the battery is OK, the solution is generally a new battery.
DanSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:47 AM   #3
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
That was the case for me. Battery repeatedly tested “ok”, but kept going dead. Replaced battery, problem gone.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
CamaroGen6

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
This reminds me of the issue the Lethal Camaro was having. He solved his problem by charging the battery for an extended period of time (video link below). Not sure if this will solve your issue as your battery tester is reading it as "bad" but maybe it's worth a shot by trying to charge it with a different charger? Also, AutoZone does free battery testing and charging.

https://youtu.be/pjEH-gAgyik
Old 08-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #5
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
My car isnt a daily driver, so it can sit for weeks w/o me using it. That being said i have had 2 Gen5, and now this Gen6 camaros that were all new, and they suffered from the mystery dead battery issue. I now keep my cars on a battery tender all the time. But in one case replacing the battery did fix the problem. Even though the dealer said it tested good.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
My daily driven 16’s battery drained down completely overnight two times in less than two weeks. The second time I had them flatbed it to the dealer who said nothing was wrong. It’s now six months later and it didn’t happen again.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
I've let mine sit for a month once with no problems. Since I got the agm battery trickle charger I charge it if it sit for about 2 weeks.
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I think most of these problems are related to the infotainment system(for whatever reason) not going to sleep completely, or waking up randomly. The rest are probably defective batteries.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
rm1023

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Had a similar issue with my Gen 5 and had the same tests performed at the dealer. The battery tested fine. Even took it to an Autozone and had them test it. Never could figure out what caused it.

Mine would sit for weeks at a time so I got a battery tender. If you are driving it often and the battery fails again after just sitting for a week, then I would replace the battery to see if that resolves the issue.

2018 Camaro 2SS Mods - None yet
rm1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Went through this with the dealer a few weeks ago. Battery so low it would barely start the car. The gauge and a separate meter showed 12.4 volts coming from the charging system. After several times driving the car, it finally jumped up to 14 volts. Dealer said it is working "normally". Tried to blame my driving style and/or my dash cam. BS to that. If the charging system isn't reacting to low battery charge correctly, that isn't normal.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Since the trunk lights work at all times (without turning key) I would disconnect anything extra on that circuit.

In general, electrical mods on these modern cars are invitations for trouble.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #12
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The battery in the gen 6 Camaro is an AGM, most battery chargers wont charge an AGM unless the battery voltage is over 6v.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
17rsvert

I disconnected the Wi Fi to the home router and, following the advice from the YouTube video linked above, keeping the battery charger connected for 48 hours. I'll report back when I see something
Old 09-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #14
17rsvert

Update. My dash voltage reads 12.1 volts most of the time when driving, which concerns me because my battery is not staying fully charged. I had the battery hooked up to my Schumacher smart charger every night overnight last week. The car sat unused without the charger over the weekend, and when I checked the voltage (Fluke multimeter) Sunday night it was 12.52. The next day (without using it or even opening a door) it was down to 12.41 volts. The next day I drove to work and back 1/2 hour each way, and when I got home, checked the voltage again with the car shut off and it was 12.25 volts. That night I charged the battery again overnight and disconnected it in the morning. Car sat unused all day, I drove my beater jeep to work. When I got home the battery read 12.85 volts. This does not make sense.