#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-20-2023, 08:42 AM   #15
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Guys, unless I'm missing something, the OP is on SC3s, not 3Rs.
A good point. When I asked about best technique to warm the tires as quickly as possible on a cold day at the track, I was indeed asking about SC3s
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:16 AM   #16
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
A good point. When I asked about best technique to warm the tires as quickly as possible on a cold day at the track, I was indeed asking about SC3s
Get your brakes up to temperature, that will help transfer heat to the tires. Not much you can do but build as much energy into the tire. I just drive the first 4 corners carefully then start building speed from there. I can already start driving pretty aggressive by the 2nd lap but the grip won't be there yet and it will be a slower lap.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:38 PM   #17
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
I went through this about 2 years ago and had no issues. Although not quite as cold, we left at 5am with temperature around 30*. I picked a route that kept the speed up to keep as much heat in the tires for the 1+ hour trip to the track. Also ran a space heater in the garage the night before to get as much heat in the tires as possible. My garage usually sits around 70* year-round to begin with. When we opened the door that morning to leave, it was around 78* so we had a good starting point. My car has the Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2's btw so obviously not quite as soft as yours but still concerning as I never drive the car in those low temps. Still had to be very cautious and gentle with throttle but not as bad as I was expecting. 👍
My tire pressure was at 34psi when I pulled out of the 70 degree garage into the 25 degree temps. It was 5am, so obviously no radiant heat to warm up the road surface. The pressure dropped to 33 for the first couple of miles, but came back up to 34 after a few minutes of sustained ~70mph highway driving. I lowered the starting pressure at the track to 30psi vs my usual 28psi starting pressure. The pressure increased to 32 - 33 after a full session on track, so I probably could have started off slightly higher.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote