#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #15
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx6g1le View Post
For reference R3dneck. I like it and it's easier to maintain imho. The XM fin is a real PITA but a professional can knock it pit pretty quick. Looking forward to photos!

Oh you did the roof too!!! I didn't know you had the roof done as well, that makes me feel better having seen it. Looks perfect! I also have plans for a subtle gloss black vinyl design on the roof, that's still up in the air though.

Edit: also what % is the tint on yours? and how's the night visibility?
Old 01-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #16
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
So the roof wrap isn't my thing, but for those of you that do this, why just the hood and roof, why not the trunk lid as well to continue the theme?
Old 01-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #17
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
So the roof wrap isn't my thing, but for those of you that do this, why just the hood and roof, why not the trunk lid as well to continue the theme?
No trunk lid because it would be a different color than the spoiler.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #18
Gen5er
Mack da M1SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 1SS 1LE
Since R3D let the cat out of the bag as far as personalizing the look of their 1LE, I have a question. Has anyone thought of adding stripes to their rides? I love the combo of black, red and white. I want to add more red accents to my 1LE. I was trying to see what it would look like with a 1 1/2 inch thick red stripe applied only to the black portions, off center, following the right most crease of the hood. Not sure who the photoshop guru is on the forum but if they could do a mock up I would sing their praises in the shower (Best acoustics).
Old 01-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #19
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
No trunk lid because it would be a different color than the spoiler.
But the hood vents are a different color than the hood wrap.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #20
tx6g1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Oh you did the roof too!!! I didn't know you had the roof done as well, that makes me feel better having seen it. Looks perfect! I also have plans for a subtle gloss black vinyl design on the roof, that's still up in the air though.

Edit: also what % is the tint on yours? and how's the night visibility?
Ya, since a friend has the vinyl shop I kind of went wild (new satin wrap, 1LE "ghosting", hood wrap, roof wrap, clear bra, rocker protection, and the rear arch custom clear bra to prevent rock chips) when she opened her shop to me.

My tint is Texas legal at 25%. It's plenty to for me and at night it's non-obtrusive to the outside while being almost impossible to see in from the outside.
tx6g1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #21
tx6g1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
There's actually a local 6th gen with that look (hood, roof, and trunk) and IMH it doesn't look cohesive to the body lines as the body panels jut into the front and rear windows. Now, I am waiting for someone to do a 2 tone with the matte upper and body color lower to accentuate the 6th gen's wheel arches.
tx6g1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #22
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
So I'm hell bent on getting PPF for my 1LE, this is my first true new car and I plan on keeping it for a very long time so I believe it will be worth it, not to mention if I do track days/auto X a few times a year it will absolutely be worth it.

With that said right now I have Feb 1-3 reserved at a very reputable shop here in the Baltimore area to have their LLumar "Track Pack" PPF applied to my car. This includes full front fascia, head lights, front fenders, side mirrors, A-pillars, full rocker panels, and wheel well edges(rear). This is going to run me about $3k and should be good for up to 10 years, and warrantied for 5. I'm debating whether or not to go ahead and get the full coverage (so the entire car minus what is vinyl wrapped) which should be about $5k.

So what do you guys think, just the Track pack or full coverage?
It's your money. I guess it depends on your definition of "a very long time". On every car with film I've ever seen that was actually driven, the film was painfully noticeable within a few years. The paint under the film will not fade as much, the edges *will* collect dirt, and eventually, it just looks like a car with a bad film job. At some point, you are really in a bind, because you can't even take it off - the paint looks too different between where the film was and wasn't. The installers will tell you the paint will fade at the same rate under the film, they are full of crap. There is no way to put film on paint and not block some of the UV rays that are going to fade the unwrapped paint.

Then you have the issue in a rock prone area that the filmed area gets shotpeened anyway. You protected your paint, but it still looks like crap, and after a few years you either have to replace the film or repaint the front end anyway.

If you are going to have a garage queen, just keep it waxed and covered. If you are going to drive the hell out of it, the film is going to look bad after a few years, period. I had a super high end professional front end job done on a metallic titanium colored new Mazda I bought in 2006, and the filmed areas are plain as day now.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #23
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post
On every car with film I've ever seen that was actually driven, the film was painfully noticeable within a few years. The paint under the film will not fade as much, the edges *will* collect dirt, and eventually, it just looks like a car with a bad film job.
I've had multiple cars (5, one of which for almost 10 years) with film as have many of my friends and family. They all held up great with proper maintenance. Film is not a once and done proposition. The only reasons you will see any of what you mention if they used cheap film (films are also much better now, most better ones offering a 10 year warranty), the rest of the paint was not properly maintained, and they were just too lazy to clean the edges with some alcohol if they had let dirt build up.

Quote:
At some point, you are really in a bind, because you can't even take it off - the paint looks too different between where the film was and wasn't. The installers will tell you the paint will fade at the same rate under the film, they are full of crap. There is no way to put film on paint and not block some of the UV rays that are going to fade the unwrapped paint.
Not really. If the rest of the car was taken care of correctly, the proper polishes, sealants and coatings all offer UV protectant, and most new cars paints do now as well. I've never had anything like this happen, ever.

Quote:
Then you have the issue in a rock prone area that the filmed area gets shotpeened anyway. You protected your paint, but it still looks like crap, and after a few years you either have to replace the film or repaint the front end anyway.
Again, nope. Quality film is self healing, This is why I only use Xpel. You may see a dimple from a rock, a few days later it is gone. Otherwise that would have been your paint taking the hit and getting damaged.

Quote:
If you are going to have a garage queen, just keep it waxed and covered. If you are going to drive the hell out of it, the film is going to look bad after a few years, period. I had a super high end professional front end job done on a metallic titanium colored new Mazda I bought in 2006, and the filmed areas are plain as day now.
Seems you are in the minority who thinks this as many high end car owners, classic car owners, etc, etc all do this. My guess is your "super high end professional" front end job was anything but. Or, you didn't properly maintain it, or the rest of the cars paint properly.

Don't take this as a jab against you, I'm not trying to do anything like that and you can have your opinion of course. But, I am just going to clarify it as I have had multiple clear film jobs with absolutely great long term results. I would never own a nice car again without it.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #24
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
I plan on taking mine right from the dealer to my shop. I want to first off get the bottom along the sides of the car protected. Especially behind the wheels. I feel like the big wheels (stick out) will kick up tons of rocks and dirt and screw up the fenders and what not. So I want that protected. The hood I won't touch. I figured over the years take the wrap off and get it re-wrapped. the front I would like to do. Just to protect from highway rocks. And the track
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #25
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5er View Post
Since R3D let the cat out of the bag as far as personalizing the look of their 1LE, I have a question. Has anyone thought of adding stripes to their rides? I love the combo of black, red and white. I want to add more red accents to my 1LE. I was trying to see what it would look like with a 1 1/2 inch thick red stripe applied only to the black portions, off center, following the right most crease of the hood. Not sure who the photoshop guru is on the forum but if they could do a mock up I would sing their praises in the shower (Best acoustics).
Are you saying I was the first? haha I too love red accents that's why I added the red grill inserts and the red wheel center caps. as for stripes I don't think red stripes would look too good, but I could be wrong. It's worth a try if you think you will like it!

Edit: Oh and I almost forgot, I ordered 2 more things for it today! Mishimoto catch can and skip shift eliminator. Got the catch can for $195 and they threw in the skip shift for free, and install is going to be about $90.

Last edited by FNxR3DNECK; 01-09-2017 at 08:36 PM.
FNxR3DNECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #26
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx6g1le View Post
Ya, since a friend has the vinyl shop I kind of went wild (new satin wrap, 1LE "ghosting", hood wrap, roof wrap, clear bra, rocker protection, and the rear arch custom clear bra to prevent rock chips) when she opened her shop to me.

My tint is Texas legal at 25%. It's plenty to for me and at night it's non-obtrusive to the outside while being almost impossible to see in from the outside.
Sounds good on the tint, the 25% Does look pretty dark but not too dark, I plan on going with 30% on mine, should be perfect!
Old 01-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #27
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
I did suntek front and rockers xpel ... 1200 at the best shop in Atlanta I am doing ceramic coating with crystal serum this week
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #28
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
I did suntek front and rockers xpel ... 1200 at the best shop in Atlanta I am doing ceramic coating with crystal serum this week
They fix your trunk lid for ya?