Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-27-2022, 10:03 AM   #1
13CamaroSSL99

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS2
Overheating tranny only in park

I have a 13 ss2 Camaro with l99 and a 6 speed auto. i recently purchased this car from my local gm dealership about 6 days ago . I have an aftermarket warranty due to the dyno tune and custom dual exhaust. I noticed however the tranny overheats only in park. I've already put a Hayden rapid cool tranny cooler and it only helps it cool down faster in drive. i checked my coolant level this morning and it was scary lo. So i flushed the radiator this morning and put new prestone dex cool in it. i also believe there is a 170 tstat installed in it also. When in park my coolant level shoots up to about 205-220. Ive already looked at my radiator fans and they both spin any suggestions?
13CamaroSSL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:32 PM   #2
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13CamaroSSL99 View Post
I have a 13 ss2 Camaro with l99 and a 6 speed auto. i recently purchased this car from my local gm dealership about 6 days ago . I have an aftermarket warranty due to the dyno tune and custom dual exhaust. I noticed however the tranny overheats only in park. I've already put a Hayden rapid cool tranny cooler and it only helps it cool down faster in drive. i checked my coolant level this morning and it was scary lo. So i flushed the radiator this morning and put new prestone dex cool in it. i also believe there is a 170 tstat installed in it also. When in park my coolant level shoots up to about 205-220. Ive already looked at my radiator fans and they both spin any suggestions?
Turn the a/c on, do your fans come on? If so eliminate that as a problem. The ecm will not turn the fans on until approx 227-228 degrees. Fix the coolant leak....that shit doesn't evaporate! Once you've established the cooling system is fine and operating normally, compare your trans temp to your coolant temp. They should be very close to the same at operating temperature especially in park! If not, I would suspect a bad thermistor in the transmission control module. Not un heard of, I've seen it before.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
13CamaroSSL99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
Turn the a/c on, do your fans come on? If so eliminate that as a problem. The ecm will not turn the fans on until approx 227-228 degrees. Fix the coolant leak....that shit doesn't evaporate! Once you've established the cooling system is fine and operating normally, compare your trans temp to your coolant temp. They should be very close to the same at operating temperature especially in park! If not, I would suspect a bad thermistor in the transmission control module. Not un heard of, I've seen it before.
Both fans turn on, there is no visible leaks, could it be my radiator going bad?
Old 06-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
At least a decent chance the fans have been adjusted to come on at a lower temperature since it has been tuned.

Does the transmission cooler still route through the radiator? If not, how big is the transmission cooler? Does it have it's own fan? If it doesn't have it's own fan, how is the cooler mounted? It might not have much air pulled through by the car's fan when sitting.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
NOT A 45

Quote:
Both fans turn on, there is no visible leaks, could it be my radiator going bad?
Your cooler is located inside the bottom tank of the radiator. Your engines coolant is what cools the transmission fluid, not direct air like you would assume. So transmission temp effects coolant temp and visa versa. I have seen coolers clog and become restricted usually due to converter failure but the symptoms are overheating while driving. You have just the opposite. Without having the car in front of me, I'd be willing to bet on a bad temp sensor in the tcm which is located inside the transmission.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
13CamaroSSL99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
At least a decent chance the fans have been adjusted to come on at a lower temperature since it has been tuned.

Does the transmission cooler still route through the radiator? If not, how big is the transmission cooler? Does it have it's own fan? If it doesn't have it's own fan, how is the cooler mounted? It might not have much air pulled through by the car's fan when sitting.
Yes i ran it through the tranny cooler is an 11x11
Old 06-27-2022, 02:13 PM   #7
13CamaroSSL99

Quote:
Your cooler is located inside the bottom tank of the radiator. Your engines coolant is what cools the transmission fluid, not direct air like you would assume. So transmission temp effects coolant temp and visa versa. I have seen coolers clog and become restricted usually due to converter failure but the symptoms are overheating while driving. You have just the opposite. Without having the car in front of me, I'd be willing to bet on a bad temp sensor in the tcm which is located inside the transmission.
Now it gets weird i flushed the coolant out this morning and now only starts to get hot in the 15-30 mph range and coolant is only getting to about an 208-215 avg with stop and go driving in city. when parked now coolant stays at about 198 and the tranny drops down to about 170. and engine temp 215-220. I honestly have no clue what to next. the tranny isnt slipping and its running on amsoil racing fluid for tranny and prestone dex cool for radiator
Old 06-27-2022, 02:17 PM   #8
NOT A 45

Quote:
Now it gets weird i flushed the coolant out this morning and now only starts to get hot in the 15-30 mph range and coolant is only getting to about an 208-215 avg with stop and go driving in city. when parked now coolant stays at about 198 and the tranny drops down to about 170. and engine temp 215-220. I honestly have no clue what to next. the tranny isnt slipping and its running on amsoil racing fluid for tranny and prestone dex cool for radiator
When your in stop and go, what is the trans temp?
Old 06-27-2022, 02:38 PM   #9
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
"engine temp 215-220"

Engine oil temp?

I'm not sure if there is anything wrong with those numbers especially if the parked is with ac on and driving ac is off. If the Hayden is after the radiator that would account for the transmission temp being lower than coolant.

Of course our temps going from upper 90's through yesterday to mid 80's today may also have something to do with it.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:56 PM   #10
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
"engine temp 215-220"

Engine oil temp?

I'm not sure if there is anything wrong with those numbers especially if the parked is with ac on and driving ac is off. If the Hayden is after the radiator that would account for the transmission temp being lower than coolant.

Of course our temps going from upper 90's through yesterday to mid 80's today may also have something to do with it.
I'm wondering if he has any problem at all. I wouldn't be concerned until the trans temp approaches 270 or so. Here again, if he has a aftermarket converter I would expect higher than normal temps running 30-35 mph just from the slippage.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:52 PM   #11
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Maybe the programming for trans is off and its not locking up etc when it should be.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:38 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
When your cooling system is not holding pressure, the boiling point goes up...physics. You can keep adding coolant all you want, but until the leak is fixed, your system will continue boiling off coolant and run hot.

When pressurized, the system will stabilize around 190 degrees. The thermostat will open at 170, but that doesn't change the steady state temp at idle.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:56 PM   #13
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
When your cooling system is not holding pressure, the boiling point goes up...physics.
Correction, it is "lowering the pressure will lower the boiling point."
redrum_maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:18 AM   #14
13CamaroSSL99

Quote:
When your in stop and go, what is the trans temp?
My stop and go temp gets up to about 190-210 i might also mention ts been over a hundred degrrees here yesterday was 110