Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #113
LSXBumblebee
LSX Bumblebee

Drives: 2014 LSX Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
And you would need that many as the LS7 motors started blowing up! lol
Could you imagine a twin turbo LS7, oh wait, they do have Camaro's and Vettes out there with a Twin Turbo LSX, which is almost the same thing.
LSXBumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #114
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Another potential benefit of onstar: (i'm not an insurance salesman, ha ha)
Some insurance companies discount premiums if you allow a feed from Onstar, and mileage driven in 6 month intervals is below average.
e.g. State Farm's Drive Safe & Save program collects mileage automatically from onstar if you allow onstar to send it to them - then State Farm adjusts insurance rates every 6 months if you qualify. However, if you suddenly start driving lots in the next period rates can go up. You have the option of terminating State Farm's Drive Safe & Save program at any point.
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...rive-safe-save
Ron

I'd bet they're collecting a lot more than just how many miles you drive. Geico offers a similar program but there's no way I'd let them monitor how the Camaro is driven.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:56 AM   #115
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I want one of those boxes!
I'll bet they think it's broken in the first week.
Then I'll plug it into my mom's car for a week.
Then back to the Camaro...

I think they'd probably just cancel my insurance after the first week.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:00 AM   #116
LSXBumblebee
LSX Bumblebee

Drives: 2014 LSX Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post

I think they'd probably just cancel my insurance after the first week.

Yea me too. Quick stops, quick accelerations..yea...safe
LSXBumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:50 AM   #117
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Another potential benefit of onstar: (i'm not an insurance salesman, ha ha)
Some insurance companies discount premiums if you allow a feed from Onstar, and mileage driven in 6 month intervals is below average.
e.g. State Farm's Drive Safe & Save program collects mileage automatically from onstar if you allow onstar to send it to them - then State Farm adjusts insurance rates every 6 months if you qualify. However, if you suddenly start driving lots in the next period rates can go up. You have the option of terminating State Farm's Drive Safe & Save program at any point.
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...rive-safe-save
Ron
If my insurance company needed periodic proof of how much driving I was doing, I'd rather have my agent read the odometer directly or submit pictures with a statement that they were from the car being insured.

I've got a big problem with any program that penalizes you for hard braking if it cannot determine the circumstances under which you use the brakes harder than some "average". To the best of my knowledge, that still means 'all of them'.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #118
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
My understanding is that insurance regulations, for most states, don't allow the insurance companies to require you to have data automatically provided unless its a basis for providing discounts..., not increases. But it must be optional. And the reason it's only for most states is because some states don't even allow it to be used at all. Not even for discounts.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #119
fhpchris

Drives: 2015 Summit White Z/28 #97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
So your mad a service you don't pay for didn't let just some guy on a phone unlock your vehicle?

Way to 16 year old girl your keys by the way.
ROFL!

You made my day!

Truth though. I even pay for Onstar for my parents.... you just never know when something could happen...
fhpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:20 PM   #120
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
My understanding is that insurance regulations, for most states, don't allow the insurance companies to require you to have data automatically provided unless its a basis for providing discounts..., not increases. But it must be optional. And the reason it's only for most states is because some states don't even allow it to be used at all. Not even for discounts.
right, its a optional program you have to sign up for, Onstar won't give them data without your permission.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #121
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
USAA gives a discount for having the auto crash notification, and vehicle tracking service they provide with valid subscription. Both of these discounts together equal more than the cost of onstar subscription so I consider it a wash. Our new Honda Accord has crash notification as well, but it is free, and that is all it does, and it is linked to your cell phone, HondaLink.
Oh and all the 4 cylinder autos come with CVT trans now, so V6 it was.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote