The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #57
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill View Post
In my opinion, none of the cars listed in the aforementioned article are true sports cars.

All I see in the article are some hot hatches, hairdresser's cars and a convertible nissan.

I do not want to argue with anyone, these are my opinions and your results may vary.

If it's a true sportscar, affordability is not a consideration.
Disagree with you here my friend, some of those ride on rwd platforms and are good starting points for sporty builds.

Although I don't see reason to compare them to muscle cars. Some people can't afford overall costs of muscle cars when it comes to gas, tires, insurance and so on so they settle for these sport hatches or coupes.Winter weather also plays a factor.

I myself would settle to daily drive one of those cars until I can afford to have a daily driver and muscle car for spring/summer time. They are good alternatives to boring economy sedans/hatchbacks/cuvs.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #58
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
The fact that those guys are calling a Civic, a Golf, and a WRX 'sports cars' tells you to disregard anything that they say. They are confusing enthusiast's interest with sports car, but they are not the same thing. Look, I owned a '91 CRX Si back in the day, it was even strictly a 2-seater. Was considered an enthusiast car when it was made, but was it really a sports car? Nope. To be clear, my '17 Camaro SS is not a sports car either, it is a sports coupe and muscle/pony car. Yes, it is FAR more capable than a traditional muscle car. But the Corvette is Chevy's sports car.
Look at this weekends Race at Road America, Lots of Hyundai's, Hondas and ONE Camaro. Granted they are in different classes, but they are Racing!

By the Way, CRX's were Raced very successfully in SCCA Firestone Firehawk Showroom Stock. I raced one, one Fun Car!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #59
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
Drive the WRX as a daily....AWD.....maybe
Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #60
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Look at this weekends Race at Road America, Lots of Hyundai's, Hondas and ONE Camaro. Granted they are in different classes, but they are Racing!
!
thanks for the heads up on this! I've been slow in catching up on my racing.

My definition of a "sports car": A motorsports capable car! Yeah it's a broad definition, but don't really like the term. Don't like the term "muscle car" either, they are both dated terms to me.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #61
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post

By the Way, CRX's were Raced very successfully in SCCA Firestone Firehawk Showroom Stock. I raced one, one Fun Car!
Obviously you have missed the point. Just being considered an 'enthusiast's car' does not make it into a sports car. Nor does driving the car on a road course magically make it a sports car. The Civic is not a sports car, don't care how many teenage wings and fake air ducts you put on it. Same goes for the Golf and the WRX. BTW I also ran my CRX on a road course, and frankly it was disappointing, thing definitely was not as much fun-to-drive as my MR2 had been. It was a case of the sporty car not being as fun as the actual sports car had been. They were fairly similar, CRX had 2xx pounds less weight and almost as much power so it was quicker, both had the same size tires, but the heavier MR2 handled better.

On the list that is being discussed, the Miata and it's offspring 124 Spider make the grade, as they are proper, rear-wheel-drive sports cars. The 370Z and the BRZ/86 with rear drive as well, rate closer to sports car status than the front-wheelers do.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:10 PM   #62
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I didn't miss the Point!

but I will agree to disagree!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote