Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-18-2022, 08:26 PM   #1
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
Going to be adding an Air Scoop to my CAI, DO I need to retune? Any tips?

My Car is tuned by Dyno Steve for the Mods in the Sig below, I am getting ready to purchase an air scoop and was wondering if I would need to get tuned adjusted or if I should be close.

Yes I know I can ask him and I will but I like to get a few peoples thoughts.

Any tips?

https://www.phastekperformance.com/P...maro-83115.htm

https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...w-10165012.htm

Is this all I would need to install it and they should work together I am assuming.

Thanks
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.

Last edited by Joe.G; 07-22-2022 at 08:33 PM.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:53 PM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I put in the scoop but, skipped the washer bottle, altogether. Never use it so, what’s the point. Shouldn’t effect the tune by much. The scoop helps pull in cooler air than what’s in the engine compartment.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:00 AM   #3
Joe.G

I was thinking about skipping the Washer relocate also as I never use it either, Did you just unplug the pump? Any issues with low fluid light or anything?
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Old 07-19-2022, 07:07 AM   #4
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I also will never use it, but located the fill bottle here:
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 07:10 AM   #5
Joe.G

Hesster Yes that kit is cheaper then the option I linked but it is back ordered, Maybe I'll skip it But I am assuming I'll have to pull it all back apart own the road if I decide I want it. I guess leaving it off frees up space and a little weight and will save me about $120 .
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Old 07-19-2022, 08:46 AM   #6
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
Like stones mentioned, the scoop is just directing cooler air into the box so a new tune would not be required.

Although I too, never use the washer fluid, it is technically a requirement for PA's safety inspection. (You may want to check with your state too)

With that, I have the same setup as hesster with the tank mounted on the air scoop and the filler tube mounted to the CAI box. I happened to have the front bumper off at the time for other projects, but it is not required for this install. If you do go with this setup, it is a lot easier to mount the tank to the scoop first, and then install it on the car.

Name:  2021-07-18 14.41.32.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  364.5 KB

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #7
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
I was thinking about skipping the Washer relocate also as I never use it either, Did you just unplug the pump? Any issues with low fluid light or anything?
Yep. Just unplugged it. No lights or other issues. Might have pulled the fuse for it, as well. I’ll have to check. Been awhile.

Engine compartment fuse box #38 - Washer Pump Front

Last edited by 0stones0; 07-19-2022 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Fuse location
0stones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #8
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
No need for a retune with the scoop, I've asked DynoSteve way back when.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:22 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Agreed, no new tune needed. That new scoop is doing the same thing the huge fan/blower they put right in front of your car just below the air intake when they do the dyno tuning. So you should be good.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:37 PM   #10
Joe.G

I ordered the scoop 2 days ago from Phastek and they Said it was it in stock, today I get an email saying that they don't and my order was cancelled, Email says no ETA when they will have them back in stock. I Did call and the guy i spoke with said 1 to 2 weeks, so who knows. I see Jannety racing has one that I would have to paint Black, I believe this one is aluminum which should be lighter then the Phastek one as that is steel.
I just don't want to paint it then have it peel a year from now. I can wait the two weeks but who knows how accurate that is, I have had issues with them before and their time frames.

Anyone run the Jannety/JRE one? Is it made well?

I have the Roto Fab Washer tank coming from summit, The one that goes right behind air box I think it was the first design, I don't ever plan on needing it but Figured Id add it.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,

Last edited by Joe.G; 07-23-2022 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:37 AM   #11
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
I ordered the scoop 2 days ago from Phastek and they Said it was it in stock, today I get an email saying that they don't and my order was cancelled, Email says no ETA when they will have them back in stock. I Did call and the guy i spoke with said 1 to 2 weeks, so who knows. I see Jannety racing has one that I would have to paint Black, I believe this one is aluminum which should be lighter then the Phastek one as that is steel.
I just don't want to paint it then have it peel a year from now. I can wait the two weeks but who knows how accurate that is, I have had issues with them before and their time frames.

Anyone run the Jannety/JRE one? Is it made well?

I have the Roto Fab Washer tank coming from summit, The one that goes right behind air box I think it was the first design, I don't ever plan on needing it but Figured Id add it.
I have the Jannetty Scoop and it is definitely well made. I bought their complete kit with the Roto-Fab reloaction bottle and I love it. The scoop is definitely very sturdy. It is roughly 1/8 inch aluminum. I left mine unpainted as I personally like the look with the scoop showing its face. Biggest pain in the ass for me with the install was the little grommet that you use for the Roto-Fab washer fluid bottle. What a PITA to get the bottle pressed into the grommet. Overall very happy, and as others have stated. no tune needed, just helps your car get cooler air into the intake box. Works especially well with my Cold air inductions sealed intake box.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:41 AM   #12
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Pics from my build thread...
Attached Images

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:02 AM   #13
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
I put a separate air temp gauge in my CAI box after installing a scoop. Only a +4-5 degree IAT difference to outside air temp (depending on speed) compared to +10-15 without scoop. So at best your engine will run with 5-10 degrees “cooler” air with the scoop (which will vary depending on speed). Because of temp variations that’s probably reason Dyno Steve says a retune isn’t needed.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:23 AM   #14
Joe.G

Bald Eagle, You cut away quite a bit of the plastic in front, Did Jannety recommend that much?

I see it is rivet together , I was wondering if over time it would loosen up, I do like the fact it is aluminum. I just worry about the paint peeling over time and having to redo it.

Maybe I will order mine though them and I am sure it weights less then the steel version.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,