The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detail, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Review: Griot's CORDLESS 5 inch polisher....

Ok, before I start this,let me just say I do not expect a hand held orbital to be anywhere near as powerful as a the griots plug-in 6 ½ inch, or any orbital. This cannot be your only polisher. I "get that" all day long, how could it? I don't need super "correction" on my new car that gets meticulous care. But it's a bit more than a "wax spreader".

And I have a specific use in mind for it, so bear with me here…

First this is Griot’s new Lithium cordless, it’s been out since early 2014 and it’s perfect for “spot or panel" polishing.I have been looking for this for a few years. If you have done a car with an orbital, you know you end up holding a 6.5 polisher sometimes upside down on your back holding it with one hand for rockers, etc. My back aches from thinking about it. And so you do a lousy job there , and that's where you need the protection! Besides, I’m too old for that. This product solves that problem.

So as you can see here it comes with a charger, battery, pad, but I suggest you get the Gift bag special because the second battery is cheaper. The unit is powerful, I would say that it is about speed 4 on a std Griots 6 inch. But it is one speed. Not being able to vary the speed means you must vary the pad and the product to get the proper polish job you want. So today I did the only part of my car that I didn’t do with my recent 6 mo makeover: the rear diffuser . So the process was:

1. Alcohol/water scrub
2. Meguire’s 205 finishing polish with the white 5 inch pad – alcohol wipe off, not buff off
3. Blackfire Total polish and seal on the blue pad
4. Blackfire Crystal seal by hand.

Diffuser -small picture to show you how glasslike it gets when you polish...
glass

So if you like toys, and you like detailing, this is a very nice toy to have. I can see it being used a lot in my condo where I just want to do the front end or windshield because of bugs, etc….You definitely can do the whole car with the two batteries, and I’ll go forward from here and report on batt life.

And do you think I have a problem with having an addiction to cordless stuff in my workshop?

Any questions PM me. As I'm posting this in a few forums, some don't allow links, it's avail thru autogeek, other detailing sites and of course , the griots garage site.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote