Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-19-2019, 12:11 AM   #1
camex

Drives: Sold
TPMS issue

After replaced 4 new tires and I got this issue.
I can't reset my TPMS sensor now, seems like no TPMS.
Anyone had same issue on mine?
Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

camex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:04 AM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
should take it back to the people you paid to mount your tires and ask wtf ... not going to get much help here as it seems pretty obviously related to your tire installation and not some basic routine issue.

It's not normal for tpms sensors to not automatically register when put in new tires. They may be in the wrong position on the dash or may need to be driven a few feet to register the correct pressure, but they'll show up with no extra work.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:42 AM   #3
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Crack open your manual. On the 2018 2SS Camaro you go to tire pressure screen, hold the center button until the horn honks and then starting at the driver's door you hold the tool at the sidewall near the stem until the horn honks once, then clockwise repeat for each wheel. At the end the horn honks twice and you are done.

This is the process for new sensors. If they mixed the wheels then the sensors probably are not transmitting far enough and a re-learn / reset is needed.

Tire shop should do it for you - but it is helpful know the process for your particular car.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:26 AM   #4
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if they're the same sensors as befor they should all have a reading. if they are new then they should have set them for you. If you didnt ask for new sensors then they broke them. any way if they worked when you brought the car in they should be working now. If they broke them its because the installer doesnt know what he or she is doing. Dont let them try to charge you for their mistake. Matt fe2o3. you cant have a sensor too far away and be on the car or even near it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
camex

Drives: Sold
Thanks for the replies guys!
When I replaced tires my TPMS looks okay but after drove to my home, it happened.
I tried reset myself but doesn't work.
I'll back to the tires shop today.
camex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:16 AM   #6
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
Matt fe2o3. you cant have a sensor too far away and be on the car or even near it.
Hey JC - not sure I get what you say, My understanding is each sensor registers to the vehicle specifically so if you swap fronts for instance (side to side - in our case because we are staggered) instead of reading the correct pressure for the wrong side - the sensor would simply not register.

Not where the sensor pickups on the car are - I don't know - if one central non-directional pickup - then I get what you say. If the sensor pickup is directional then the readout should go dead if the for instance the RF wheel TPMS is put on the LF side of the car.

It's an interesting point. For instance drop your non staggered car off for new tires. Tire shop drops all the wheels - installs them any which way (being identical) then common sense says the sensor pickup must either re-learn the position or be re-set. Same for a symmetrical tire rotation, right?

On my new spare set wheels I put on new OEM TPMS as the wheels I bought did not come with them. Tires went on front two then back two a week later due to backorder of the PS3's. The shop did sync up the TPMS with the front but forgot to do the rears.

It took a couple days (first freeway speed drive) for the backs to vanish from the display, nice, eh?. I have the tool and re-leaned it myself, no biggie - but the TMPS transmission IDs are unique to each sensor - so unless the car is really smart - it would have no idea where the sensors are in a swap/rotate situation.

We might get booted to Tires and Wheels - all the same curious. For the Gen 6 the system does not seem "smart". The OP is on something else - I don't recognize the display. Cheers.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
no it would register no matter were you put it. The reason you start the relearn on the drivers side front then pass side front, pass rear, drivers rear. is so the computer knows were the sensor is. if you dont do it in order it will still read them but the order on the display will be wrong. If the tire shop forgets to reset the new sensors the last reading will stay on the display for some time maybe 5 miles or so. then go blank. but if you reuse the old sensors they will still read just the display will read them in the wrong spots.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Exactly!! I do the relearn procedure twice when I go to the track. My wife can't believe how quickly I can change the rear tires and re-calibrate all 4. Probably takes 10 mins...maybe 15 tops. Impact drill makes for speedy work.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
TPMS sensors.. . A solution to a problem absolutely NOBODY ever had.

Is my tire flat? I can't tell. stupid. A stupid waste of money and additional point of failure at high speeds. Hey, how about we create proprietary tools that are required to manipulate them too, make annoying non-optional dashboard warning lights for them so people have to take their cars in to a shop.

No intention at all of replacing the oem ones once they finally die. If my launch x431v pro can't just disable the warning lights from showing up like it can for scheduling maintenance on cars, then i'll just pick up a 20 dollar bypass module.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Op this happened to us on the 5th gen car and my be the same thing on 6th gen, if you had tires put on and then not reset the TPMS at that time, they will show as working but some time down the road will show the screen you have, and if you try to relearn the TPMS, it will not let you, to fix this you need to clear the stored code in the car, they dont show up in the DIC, hope this helps.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
TPMS sensors.. . A solution to a problem absolutely NOBODY ever had.

Is my tire flat? I can't tell. stupid. A stupid waste of money and additional point of failure at high speeds. Hey, how about we create proprietary tools that are required to manipulate them too, make annoying non-optional dashboard warning lights for them so people have to take their cars in to a shop.

No intention at all of replacing the oem ones once they finally die. If my launch x431v pro can't just disable the warning lights from showing up like it can for scheduling maintenance on cars, then i'll just pick up a 20 dollar bypass module.
The reason they're required is because of fuel economy. If your air pressures are low, your fuel economy suffers. Most people run their tires a little soft because they never bother to check unless its totally flat. Even then, they might not even do it. And a hundred million soft tires = lots money pointlessly wasted each year. Not saying its a great solution (or even a good one), but that is the logic.

And while I don't know this for a fact, I'd bet that the reason why you need proprietary tools to set/reset them is because automakers sell their cars to dealers, not the end buyer. And the dealer loves it when people bring a car in (and conversely, hate it when you do something yourself).
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:46 AM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The reason for TPMS is safety!

Modern tires do not look conspicuously soft until they are just about completely flat, yet a partially deflated tire can overheat and fail at highway speed.

While car guys may check their tire pressure frequently and may be sensitive to small changes in handling, most people are much less attentive.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The reason for TPMS is safety!

Modern tires do not look conspicuously soft until they are just about completely flat, yet a partially deflated tire can overheat and fail at highway speed.

While car guys may check their tire pressure frequently and may be sensitive to small changes in handling, most people are much less attentive.
That's the screen I pretty much leave on as I drive. With the heads-up display there's not much more I need in front of me. My notion is if I go from 35 psi to 25 psi I have a chance to avoid tire damage and/or a problem.

One main route for me is over a long bridge and the sectional separations get filled with nails and debris. Hit a bad patch on the Aprilia a couple years ago and had four nails/wires in the tire - welcome to California roads.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #14
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
https://www.amazon.com/VXDAS-EL-5044...-1-spons&psc=1