Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-12-2020, 12:53 PM   #15
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Ok so this might be a stupid question or show my ignorance about the ls7. But if the block cracked then that should be coolant leaking. The only way oil would leak out of a cracked block is if a cylinder sleeve cracked allowing oil out of the cracked block as well. Before I purchased my Z, it had a #8 cylinder wall cracked and the reports said it was of course producing blue smoke but they never had notes on a crack in the block. I was worried about not having a numbers matching block but I don’t know if folks care about that as much as they do with the old school stuff.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #16
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Ok so this might be a stupid question or show my ignorance about the ls7. But if the block cracked then that should be coolant leaking. The only way oil would leak out of a cracked block is if a cylinder sleeve cracked allowing oil out of the cracked block as well. Before I purchased my Z, it had a #8 cylinder wall cracked and the reports said it was of course producing blue smoke but they never had notes on a crack in the block. I was worried about not having a numbers matching block but I don’t know if folks care about that as much as they do with the old school stuff.
To your point, the pre-replacement warranty inspection (including some teardown) showed some oil-water mix.

As far as numbers matching, with many modifying their cars and others like me..bone stock ...so If someone wants my car it comes with a new $19000 LS7...again replaced by GM under warranty. What can I say?

BTW the neighbor (a mechanic at Graff Chevy in Grand Prairie TX) behind us in the 60's that lost his 67 tri-power L88 engine under warranty..it didn't affect the resale over the years..of course only 20 were built in 67.

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #17
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull View Post
To your point, the pre-replacement warranty inspection (including some teardown) showed some oil-water mix.

As far as numbers matching, with many modifying their cars and others like me..bone stock ...so If someone wants my car it comes with a new $19000 LS7...again replaced by GM under warranty. What can I say?
BTW the neighbor (a mechanic at Graff Chevy in Grand Prairie TX) behind us in the 60's that lost his 67 tri-power L88 engine under warranty..it didn't affect the resale over the years..of course only 20 were built in 67.
Thanks for the info on both fronts.
That’s how I felt when I purchased my Z with the GM Warranty replaced LS7. It’s a factory race car and when things break, replace them and go on.
Good luck selling and thanks for sharing your story
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"cracked block", ls7, warranty problem engine, z/28