Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #1
BJJKRIS

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #18
Z/28 head swap/removal

Pulling the trigger on the AHP package 4 heads. And while there are plenty of great DIY’s on other forums and YouTube regarding the c6 Z06, there’s isn’t much if anything at all specifically for the Z/28. For instance the removal/relocating of the c6 power steering pump is a huge PITA and luckily we don’t have that problem due to the EPS. Are there any other things that are specific to our cars I need to take into consideration before diving into this project?
BJJKRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
carparts

Drives: 2014 Z28 Black 2010 WF1 Stohr
No
Very easy job, I just did a cam and WCCH did my heads. I used ARP head bolts and balancer bolt. I also looked for videos nothing on our cars.
carparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
BJJKRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carparts View Post
No
Very easy job, I just did a cam and WCCH did my heads. I used ARP head bolts and balancer bolt. I also looked for videos nothing on our cars.
You did the head install yourself as well? It doesn’t seem all that hard at all. Just making sure there’s nothing I’m missing before I start tearing it down. Which arp studs did you use btw? The 234-4317’s?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
carparts

Drives: 2014 Z28 Black 2010 WF1 Stohr
Yes I removed the heads sent them for guides and exhaust valves and change the springs for the new cam and reinstalled them. very easy job.
i used bolts not studs as Im staying NA. I can look at part#s when I get home tonight. Only thing i would do different Is remove the radiator,fans and coolers as one unit for cam removal and install
carparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
BJJKRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carparts View Post
Yes I removed the heads sent them for guides and exhaust valves and change the springs for the new cam and reinstalled them. very easy job.
i used bolts not studs as Im staying NA. I can look at part#s when I get home tonight. Only thing i would do different Is remove the radiator,fans and coolers as one unit for cam removal and install
Nice man. Thanks for the info. Yeah I was going to go with new studs but the bolts are fine for NA. You’re right. Did you use a lift? Or jack stands? I have access to a lift but wondering if it’s even necessary.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
I did mine as well, a lift will make it much easier for exhaust etc and lower around front of engine. Cam change I sold my a/c machine and ended up taking the radiator pack apart in the car so I wouldn't loose the freon and that turned out to be a job that I won't do again, it would be much easier to have the freon recovered then just lift out the Radiator pack all together. Of course if your car does not have A/C then that would make things a little easier. Also I ended up loosening the oil pan so I wouldn't damage the pan gasket around the front by removing and installing front cover, again much easier on a lift because some of the pan bolts can be a little tricky to get to....hope this helps some
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
BJJKRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchev View Post
I did mine as well, a lift will make it much easier for exhaust etc and lower around front of engine. Cam change I sold my a/c machine and ended up taking the radiator pack apart in the car so I wouldn't loose the freon and that turned out to be a job that I won't do again, it would be much easier to have the freon recovered then just lift out the Radiator pack all together. Of course if your car does not have A/C then that would make things a little easier. Also I ended up loosening the oil pan so I wouldn't damage the pan gasket around the front by removing and installing front cover, again much easier on a lift because some of the pan bolts can be a little tricky to get to....hope this helps some
Thanks man. Yeah I can use a lift on base but I’m worried about getting it off and on after I drain fluids/remove exhaust. The two post lifts won’t fit under the car without driving it up onto blacks. And I need ramps to get it on the drive up lifts. I’m not doing a cam for now. Just heads. Wasn’t aware that I’d need to vent Freon to remove radiator. This is why I’m asking! Thanks.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #8
BJJKRIS

So I’m at the end of this swap and I have to say it wasn’t too bad. Just label everything and keep track of all your parts/tools. Would you guys be interested in a z/28 specific DIY? I know a lot of us (myself included) use this one.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-headswap.html

And honestly that piece of info was indispensable. But it’s for a ZO6 and not a z/28, which means there are a few steps that don’t apply.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJKRIS View Post
So I’m at the end of this swap and I have to say it wasn’t too bad. Just label everything and keep track of all your parts/tools. Would you guys be interested in a z/28 specific DIY? I know a lot of us (myself included) use this one.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-headswap.html

And honestly that piece of info was indispensable. But it’s for a ZO6 and not a z/28, which means there are a few steps that don’t apply.
Any DIY tutorial can always be useful tool in the future! I say do it if you have the time!
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #10
Mark_Z28

Drives: Black 2015 Z28 #457
yes please post a DIY if you can
Mark_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #11
BJJKRIS

DIY IS LIVE!

Tags