Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-07-2024, 03:25 PM   #1
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Stealing vehicles (LandRover but I’ve seen it done to Camaro and others)

Fair warning, it’s a 20 minute video but here’s a timestamp of the instance I’ve seen of car theft without the key or relay attack (3:50)

https://youtu.be/uHIwtiA963M?si=9As1iGPZJIBTg8dF

I made a small list of stolen 6th gen’s and by far the largest method has been the OBD port with relay attacks coming in second. I may post the list I have once I make it a little prettier

At 5:20 I’ll give you one guess as to what module he’s talking about removing first
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 03:33 PM   #2
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Great insight, That’s why power interruption for any critical component is the answer until they solve this problem. When the power is out, you can’t turn the lights on! And the dumber the system is to cut the power the better.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:03 PM   #3
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Fair warning, it’s a 20 minute video but here’s a timestamp of the instance I’ve seen of car theft without the key or relay attack (3:50)

https://youtu.be/uHIwtiA963M?si=9As1iGPZJIBTg8dF

I made a small list of stolen 6th gen’s and by far the largest method has been the OBD port with relay attacks coming in second. I may post the list I have once I make it a little prettier

At 5:20 I’ll give you one guess as to what module he’s talking about removing first
So have you called Chevy GM to ask them to do the update ?
The security update can be done, see below. Call Chevy GM Customer Service like I and others have done 1-800 222-1020. The OBD access with the device brought from Amazon as low as $415 is now on Tiktok. A cloned Key can be made in less than 5 minutes with it.

Range Rover thefts fall after security enhanced with £10m investment
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/ran...10m-investment

JLR responds to soaring insurance costs for Range Rover vehicles
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/jlr...e-rover-thefts

Last edited by L2SS455; 03-08-2024 at 01:24 AM.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:47 PM   #4
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
So have you called Chevy GM to ask them to do the update ?
The security update can be done, see below. Call Chevy GM Customer Service like I and others have done 1-800 222-1020. The OBD access with the device brought from Amazon as low as $415 is now on Tiktok. A cloned Key can be make in less than 5 minutes with it.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/ran...10m-investment

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/jlr...e-rover-thefts
I wasn’t able to access your links (404 error) but I’d love to see the GM update as I haven’t received any update in my car. Would be unfortunate as 2016 models don’t have the capability to receive OTA
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:22 PM   #5
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I wasn’t able to access your links (404 error) but I’d love to see the GM update as I haven’t received any update in my car. Would be unfortunate as 2016 models don’t have the capability to receive OTA
By Matt de Prez
|
13 February 2024
Range Rover models
Jaguar Land Rover has stepped up its efforts to reduce the number of Range Rover vehicles being stolen amid a surge in insurance prices for the popular luxury SUV.

The number of JLR vehicles being stolen is reducing, but insurance companies have continued to ramp up prices. Some owners have been quoted as much as £20,000, while others have been unable to secure coverage.

JLR has even launched its own insurance offering, to provide a lifeline to owners of its vehicles and the car maker has invested £15 million to update its older models to make them more difficult to steal. An in-house team of security experts ensure it stays ahead of thieves.

But the Range Rover theft epidemic isn’t caused by any particular security flaws in the vehicles - they met all the required Thatcham security standards at the time of development after all - rather the tenacity of organised crime gangs that stand to make significant profits from shipping stolen high-end vehicles abroad.

JLR CEO Adrian Mardell is now calling for an “urgent national conversation” about organised vehicle crime. He wants the Government to put vehicle crime higher up the agenda, stating that it’s a “serious issue” in the UK.

"Our clients are suffering from that, and most people in this country won’t like that, whether they’re suffering or not,” he said.

JLR is working closely with police forces across the country to try and stay ahead of thieves. It is even funding additional policing at UK ports, where many of the stolen vehicles are shipped out of the county.

The insurance industry has reacted to recent reports of Range Rover thefts by hiking prices, but JLR said the theft rates for its newest models are falling.

Patrick McGillycuddy, JLR’s UK managing director, said: “Range Rover is not the most stolen vehicle in the UK. It's just not true.”

He cited theft figures for 2023 that show Range Rover thefts were down by 27% on 2022 and Range Rover Sport thefts fell by 29%.

Since the new Range Rover was launched, in 2021, McGillycuddy said 0.08% of them have been stolen.

“These theft issues they are predominantly affecting our older vehicles: 2016 through to 2018 model years, and a little bit into 2019,” he explained.

Range Rover thefts: how it’s done

Using sophisticated – and pricey – equipment, thieves quickly established the means to attack cars equipped with keyless entry systems by using a ‘relay attack’ whereby the signal emitted from the car’s keyfob can be picked up by a receiver and sent to another transmitter. The car thinks a legitimate key is within proximity, even though it’s still in the owner’s house, allowing thieves to drive off.

Police believe that the majority of cars stolen in 2023 were taken using this method.

JLR introduced new wideband key technology across its model range, in 2018, effectively stopping the issue in its tracks. These new keys, identifiable by their slightly larger and boxier design cannot be compromised using the relay attack method.

Other car makers, including Ford, were also forced to take action and redesign their keys to prevent this type of theft.

JLR recommends that customers who have a vehicle that uses the older style key (with the chrome trim on one side) keep it in a faraday pouch to protect their car against the threat of relay attacks.

Lee Walton, head of JLR's Vehicle Theft Reduction Group, told us that the next step for thieves was to utilise automotive locksmith equipment, enabling them to programme keys to vehicles. By plugging a device into a car’s diagnostic port, a key can be programmed in a matter of seconds allowing the car to be taken. This type of theft is commonly known as a ‘BCM hack’. The only hurdle for criminals being that the car must be unlocked.

More high-tech equipment was therefore required. A signal jammer is commonly used, preventing owners from being able to lock their vehicle. Walton told us that these are regularly used in car parks or petrol stations. Once the owner leaves the vehicle, thieves are able to jump in and take it.

For vehicles that are locked, a more invasive method is used. Crime gangs worked out that they could trigger a vehicle’s locking system by intercepting the on-board computer wires and sending fake messages. This type of attack requires highly sophisticated knowledge of a vehicle’s electrical architecture. The equipment costs upwards of £25,000. Depending on the vehicle, these wires are usually accessed by cutting holes in either the front wing or bootlid.

JLR has been rapidly working on software updates to prevent these attack methods. Vehicles dating back to 2016 will be eligible for free updates, with rollouts taking place now. The software update prevents keys being programmed by the BCM hack method and also stops external devices from being able to send commands to the car’s computer system.

McGillycuddy said: “It's really important that for our clients, as we contact them for these campaign updates and security enhancements, they act on it.”

The car maker has campaigned to outlaw the key programming tools that thieves use to steal cars. Historically, such devices have been considered part of the automotive locksmithing toolbox, but new legislation will recognise them as tools for theft.

The Criminal Justice Bill that proposes these changes is currently making its way through Parliament and is at the end of the committee stages, ready for the House of Lords.

In a final push to encourage customers to lock their cars, JLR has added a new walkaway locking feature to its 2024 vehicles. This system automatically locks the car once the key is no longer detected in the proximity of the vehicle. The car will also automatically unlock, upon approach, to improve convenience.

By Gareth Roberts
|
22 November 2023
2024 Range Rover
Frequently described as the UK’s ‘most stolen’ car, security has been improved on new Range Rover models resulting in a reduction in thefts, reports Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) UK.

Vehicles manufactured from 2022 onwards are built on what the manufacturer describes as its most advanced electrical architecture, which includes the latest security features.

JLR says that since January 2022, only 0.07% of new Range Rover and new Range Rover Sports on the road have been stolen, while only 0.3% of new Defenders have been affected since 2020.

The latest security and technology can also be deployed to previous generation vehicles, including those out of warranty, ensuring they are updated with the same levels of protection as current models.

Updates, says JLR, have already been rolled out in the UK to more than 65,000 vehicles, reducing thefts of Range Rover and Range Rover Sport models built from 2018 to 2022 by more than 40%.

Patrick McGillycuddy, managing director of JLR UK, said: “While vehicle theft in the UK is affecting the whole car industry, at JLR we understand the negative impact this can have on the ownership experience for our clients.

“Our investment of more than £10 million demonstrates our ongoing commitment to tackling this issue.”

“Through our long-standing collaboration with law enforcement and key partners, our expert team will continue to develop and deploy effective anti-theft measures to ensure clients are protected. It is my personal priority.”

JLR’s investment includes updates to the Body Control Module (BCM) which prevents thieves driving away a vehicle without a key.

Criminals have previously hacked the keyless entry system enabling them to start the engine but JLR’s updates contain embedded technology to prevent this.

In 2018, JLR developed ultra-wide band (UWB) protection to counter the ‘relay attack’, where criminals intercept signals between the vehicle and key to unlock the car.

Vehicles are not vulnerable to that method when equipped with this technology, which also mitigates the requirement to store keys in a Faraday pouch.

JLR always recommend clients use every available measure to protect their vehicle, including the Jaguar and Land Rover ‘Remote’ apps.

These are connected service which JLR has made available so clients can access a suite of security features, such as vehicle lock reminders and ‘Guardian Mode’, which monitors the vehicle and provides an alert if there is any unauthorised interaction.

JLR also strongly urges any Range Rover, Defender, Discovery and Jaguar clients who have been contacted about the security updates available to them, to ensure they are completed via their authorised retailer.

JLR has worked closely with automotive risk and intelligence company Thatcham Research for almost three decades, to develop industry leading security systems.

Richard Billyeald, chief technical officer at Thatcham Research, said: “Thatcham Research acknowledges that organised criminality is of serious concern to all vehicle manufacturers.

“Along with Thatcham Research, JLR has actively supported police and other partners, adopting a holistic approach to identify potential security vulnerabilities, and working proactively to close them down.

“We continue to work closely with JLR, including benchmarking of their recently implemented theft countermeasures as examples of security best practice.

“We are hopeful these measures will limit further theft exposure.”

The majority of stolen cars recovered by Tracker in the first half of 2023 were Range Rover and Land Rover models, with the Range Rover Sport top of the table again.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:43 PM   #6
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Very interesting video.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
obd, relay attack, stolen, theft