Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #29
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Thanks you rlarsen462 for posting the information about the trunk kit parts (along with pictures), as I have been poking around to get the part numbers of these parts.

Also, thanks to ICTsccaCamaro for going ahead with spearheading the install of the steering gear vents on their none-ZL1 car. From my understanding, these should be a direct bolt-on to the SS cars as well.
Mine is ZL1 1LE if that matters.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #30
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I will be getting these for my SS 1LE, also, as I plan to track my car a lot. I do not drive my car in the winter, driving spring through fall, and see no reason to remove these unless you were to drive through a lot of standing water or snow. Outside of that, I have a hard time seeing typical rain doing anything. The "ducts" are more "vents"; in that, exhausting temperature/pressure and not inducting...

*EDIT: Actually, it appears I am wrong. The orientation of these are to be a "duct" or "scoop". They will be a true track only/none-rain/snow item.
While I was under the car I made the same observations when I was installing the front splitter air deflector kit and rear control arm covers the other day. I elected to leave off the power steering cooler until I'm actually taking it to the track, due to the design.

My real question is, because it's SO confusing, are you supposed to put the little "air deflector tire dams" ON, or OFF for maximum performance/track use?

I'm talking about these pieces:

Most have said they are for fuel economy and to leave them OFF for track driving...however the 2018 track preparation guide (there doesn't seem to be an equivalent document for 2019's yet) has this to say:

UNDERBODY AIR DEFLECTOR TIRE DAM KIT

Model: Camaro ZL1 Coupe and Camaro ZL1 with the 1LE Performance Package

The Underbody Air Deflector Tire Dam Kit provided with Camaro ZL1 vehicles helps reduce the amount of aerodynamic lift
on the front axle for optimum handling.

Please note: The Underbody Air Deflector Kit is installed at the time of Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) and is to remain on the car.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #31
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
While I was under the car I made the same observations when I was installing the front splitter air deflector kit and rear control arm covers the other day. I elected to leave off the power steering cooler until I'm actually taking it to the track, due to the design.

My real question is, because it's SO confusing, are you supposed to put the little "air deflector tire dams" ON, or OFF for maximum performance/track use?

I'm talking about these pieces:

Most have said they are for fuel economy and to leave them OFF for track driving...however the 2018 track preparation guide (there doesn't seem to be an equivalent document for 2019's yet) has this to say:

UNDERBODY AIR DEFLECTOR TIRE DAM KIT

Model: Camaro ZL1 Coupe and Camaro ZL1 with the 1LE Performance Package

The Underbody Air Deflector Tire Dam Kit provided with Camaro ZL1 vehicles helps reduce the amount of aerodynamic lift
on the front axle for optimum handling.

Please note: The Underbody Air Deflector Kit is installed at the time of Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) and is to remain on the car.
It's confusing but the curved ones should always stay on, the straight ones up front get removed.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #32
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Ah yes, the corner rub strips or driveway warning contact strips.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #33
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
It's confusing but the curved ones should always stay on, the straight ones up front get removed.
And that's the forum consensus, I agree, however the track prep guide definitely calls the straight pieces the "Underbody Air Deflector Tire Dam Kit" and says to put it on for performance/track driving because it reduces aero lift on the axle.

The curved pieces are the just the "The Underbody Air Deflector Kit" and it says those are installed on PDI and left on the vehicle.

Clear as mud I tell ya.

I just want to put on (and leave on) everything that maximizes handling, and take off anything that is for fuel economy, etc. not related to getting max performance from the car. With the exception of those parts like the water deflector and power steering cooler that could create water problems with street driving.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #34
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Ah yes, the corner rub strips or driveway warning contact strips.
The big center rubber strip hits way before those pieces in the corner ever would, I would think?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #35
Dave-ROR

Quote:
And that's the forum consensus, I agree, however the track prep guide definitely calls the straight pieces the "Underbody Air Deflector Tire Dam Kit" and says to put it on for performance/track driving because it reduces aero lift on the axle.

The curved pieces are the just the "The Underbody Air Deflector Kit" and it says those are installed on PDI and left on the vehicle.

Clear as mud I tell ya.

I just want to put on (and leave on) everything that maximizes handling, and take off anything that is for fuel economy, etc. not related to getting max performance from the car. With the exception of those parts like the water deflector and power steering cooler that could create water problems with street driving.
GM's own documentation contradicts itself. The other manual shows the same picture and mentions reinstalling them after using the car at the track.

Clear as mud is right
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #36
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
GM's own documentation contradicts itself. The other manual shows the same picture and mentions reinstalling them after using the car at the track.

Clear as mud is right
I'm just going to through them in the trash and never think about them again, I think...honestly logic tells me that they are blocking/deflecting air away from the curved pieces which serve to prevent air from loading up under the tires/axles, meaning the straight pieces can't really be serving a positive purpose under speed.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #37
Dave-ROR

Quote:
I'm just going to through them in the trash and never think about them again, I think...honestly logic tells me that they are blocking/deflecting air away from the curved pieces which serve to prevent air from loading up under the tires/axles, meaning the straight pieces can't really be serving a positive purpose under speed.
Yeah they aren't on my car either

Too many cars.. never.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:30 PM   #38
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
I hope that this does not sound pretentious, that is not my intention.

I would encourage all that own this machine to put your car on stands and spend some quality time on your creeper exploring the magnificent underbelly of this car. It is likely to give you a bigger chubby than the shiny side. An appreciable amount of time spent there may reveal the answers to all of your questions and concerns about aero on the underside of the ZLE.

With that said; 84669205 is new for 2019 and looks amazingly functional and beneficial. Those of us that have spent time on the creeper get it. I'm looking forward to your impressions ICTsccaCamaro. Thanks in advance.

IMHO, the center air dam (center, under the splitter) rubs WAY before the outside dams do. The outboard dams do not in any way protect the outboard curved deflectors. Keep the curved deflectors and center air dam on the parts shelf boys, they get scuffed and occasionally hit hard, even when driving conservatively. Fortunately the plastic aero sections under your splitter are readily available, relatively inexpensive and are very easy to replace.

If you drive this car (even in the highest clearance setting) you WILL scuff up the under splitter aero, no matter how much you baby her or how hard you try not to. If you are pushing the envelope, count on constant wear and tear there. Fortunately, GM did a good job of making these parts semi disposable.

Disclaimer, my Camaro has never sniffed a speedbump and my driveway is a low clearance wet dream. My under hood (extractor) water deflector is only installed in the driveway for bath time. Gotta keep that LT4 and her components cool.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #39
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
I hope that this does not sound pretentious, that is not my intention.

I would encourage all that own this machine to put your car on stands and spend some quality time on your creeper exploring the magnificent underbelly of this car. It is likely to give you a bigger chubby than the shiny side. An appreciable amount of time spent there may reveal the answers to all of your questions and concerns about aero on the underside of the ZLE.

With that said; 84669205 is new for 2019 and looks amazingly functional and beneficial. Those of us that have spent time on the creeper get it. I'm looking forward to your impressions ICTsccaCamaro. Thanks in advance.

IMHO, the center air dam (center, under the splitter) rubs WAY before the outside dams do. The outboard dams do not in any way protect the outboard curved deflectors. Keep the curved deflectors and center air dam on the parts shelf boys, they get scuffed and occasionally hit hard, even when driving conservatively. Fortunately the plastic aero sections under your splitter are readily available, relatively inexpensive and are very easy to replace.

If you drive this car (even in the highest clearance setting) you WILL scuff up the under splitter aero, no matter how much you baby her or how hard you try not to. If you are pushing the envelope, count on constant wear and tear there. Fortunately, GM did a good job of making these parts semi disposable.

Disclaimer, my Camaro has never sniffed a speedbump and my driveway is a low clearance wet dream. My under hood (extractor) water deflector is only installed in the driveway for bath time. Gotta keep that LT4 and her components cool.
How dare you suggest we take the time to understand our cars! And I agree, it's a marvel under there.

All that said though, what is your take on those outer deflector tire dams? On or off?

Would you recommend leaving 84669205 on all the time, or do you see a significant concern for water ingress if caught in some water or driving through an inadvertent puddle from sprinkler systems, etc.?
Old 04-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #40
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
How dare you suggest we take the time to understand our cars! And I agree, it's a marvel under there.

All that said though, what is your take on those outer deflector tire dams? On or off?

Would you recommend leaving 84669205 on all the time, or do you see a significant concern for water ingress if caught in some water or driving through an inadvertent puddle from sprinkler systems, etc.?
It would depend on application. As a DD, likely not because as you mention water intrusion from rain and puddles. For warm days and track, heck yea! The cooling potential from 8466205 is definitely intriguing. I'm interested in feedback from those who run it.

My outboard dams are on. They have protected my splitter from minor scraping. I'm certain that there is some high speed function/influence, or the engineers would not have designed/installed them.

In my case, the outboard dams don't protect the curved deflectors, mine have been nicked a couple of times. Center dam under the splitter has scraped a couple of times as well. Fortunately, my splitter is still clean. I am at 3/4 front ride height most of the time.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:32 AM   #41
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Well the 2019 steering rack ducts went on perfect.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #42
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Looking at that I'm not sure what the concern is with water ingress...even with those large shields, in heavy enough rain, turning, driving through light standing water/puddles, etc. everything up there is getting wet anyway?

I don't see a compelling reason you couldn't run those P/S coolers full time if the car is mainly a track and dry/warm weather non-DD?

Also, thanks for the great pictures!