Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
tadre1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
MCR strut blown?

2016 camaro 2ss. When going over deep dips and irregular roads the Lt. front tire seems to be bottoming out. There is a loud jarring noise like a thump like the suspension is bottoming out, but not scraping the underside of the car. I ordered the BMR sway bar end links and if that doesn't work I will replace the MCR strut. The roads here in SA are terrible except our highways are nice.
tadre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have aftermarket springs and swaybars and endlinks and had the same thing took to a few shops to have them check it out and nobody could figured it out...finally took to local tire place and they called me and said strut was literally broken in half lol so its possible
Old 03-30-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
tadre1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Well ... just got finished with drivers side sway bar end link swap with BMR ones and to my dismay the clunk is still there. What a pain in the rear to swap, would definitely be easier to use a lift. I used a jack stand. You will need to jack the strut to get the bind and load off the end links, just gently raise it from under the front brake rotor which will take the load off the links and they will come out easier.. Any whooo's, I guess the next step is to replace the mcr strut ... wow that really sucks. Nothing was loose. All the bolts were tight ... I swapped out cause I paid for them and was curious. Now I have to do the other side ... I used the bolts supplied by BMR and 12m nord locks. No loctite. I followed the same route as some of the others here on this forum and it also failed for me. The end links are not the culprit ... at least for me. Interesting note ... the link I took off part number: 23240971 which is the part number to the right end link not the left. Left link part number: 23240970. Are they interchangeable? If so ... then ok. By the way ... car only has 24000 miles and she sounds like she's falling apart already and out of warranty. Crap man! Love/hate relationship with this car.

Last edited by tadre1; 03-30-2019 at 08:39 PM.
tadre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
RSC

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2LT
Hey guys I have a question regarding this. It turns out I have the same issue of the left strut of my Camaro needing to be replaced. It's all under warranty so that's not the issue. The issue however is that before going to this dealership here, I went to another dealership and they told me that the thumping noise was because of my tires and told me to replace 2 tires on my vehicle even though my tires were in good shape. It was only after having the thumping noise return that I went back to them and they told me I need to replace the other 2 as well. Not trusting the dealership at this point, I went to another dealership which told me the issue was just the strut and that they have ordered it and will now replace for me once it arrives. My question is, do I have any basis to go to the first dealership and demand a reimbursement for the tires? Because of them I'm out $600 on 2 tires I didn't need. The issue is not about getting new tires early but rather the fact I wanted to change to different types of tires (Michelin) but because of the dealership I had to stick with these lousy Goodyears and will probably have to for a long time before I can switch tire types. I apologise for any grammatical or syntax errors, English is not my first language.
RSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible

Who is this idiot dealer that's blaming tires for a suspension clunk issue that's already a very well documented TSB?

Open a ticket with Chevrolet and find another dealer.
CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER
- General questions or concerns on a vehicle you own
- Warranty questions
- Recall questions
- Checking vehicle order status
800-222-1020
(option 2)
Mon–Sat, 8 a.m.–9 p.m. (EST)
Sun, closed

or try the chat:
https://www.chevrolet.com/contact/chat
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Agree Gunkk! I think it’s the strut because my 2016 2SS had the same clunk but I traded it in for my 2017 ZL1 before I had to get it replaced. Pretty sure the strut was damaged due to the severe right front accident I had 6 months after I bought the SS. The strut wasn’t replaced when the body shop repaired the car after the accident.