The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #57
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Damn americans are paranoid.

And still with the highest amount of people in jail you still cant trust your fellow human beings that you have around...

Very sad.
Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #58
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Ok Story Time.

Summer Vacation 2006 (before the movie 'The Strangers' came out, in case any of you want to draw a parallel)

The misses and I were up in the family cabin tucked back in the mountains of Vermont. We don't have neighbors.... not real ones anyways. Our closest neighbor is over a mile away. One night we had a cookout behind the house, nothing fancy.... but we were outside later than normal... and for reference, its a medium sized two story house with the bedrooms on the 2nd floor.

Anyways, that night we watched a movie and went to bed.

Round 1:15 am I woke up to what sounded like someone frantically pounding on the front door.

I immediately got out of bed and ran over to the window, but the front door wasn't visible and I couldn't see anything.

The knocking stopped.

I'm thinking.... Ok. WTF. Its either someone outside who needs help or someone outside who is trying to see if we aren't home so they can break in....

So I grabbed the phone, called the police. They would be here "As soon as they can.... probably 25 - 30 minutes"

So I'm thinking.... Great. If I've got some wacko with a gun downstairs I'm screwed. Then I remember my father always kept a 12 Gauge in the Basement. OK Great I'm saved.

Then the banging started again. But there were 2 things wrong with these noises... it wasn't front door help me! frantic banging...it was slower and quieter. Like...

Bang .... (Mississippi)... Bang.... (Mississippi)... Bang....

So I pretty much knew that this wasn't a good guy.

And second... it was coming from the living room.... which has these big French doors (all glass) and is between me - the basement stairs.

The misses calls down "Here, take my gun"

HUH????????

The misses (without my knowledge) carried with her, a revolver which shoots shotgun shells. Not only is this gun small enough to fit into a purse, but its completely badass. So anyways I ran into the bedroom, got her weapon, lowered a 2nd floor window and fired twice.

Whatever/Whoever it was, didn't come back.

Here's where it gets really weird. When the police got there they went over all the windows around the outside of the house for prints, but nothing showed up. I was walking with the cop talking to him about who could have done this, and he goes....

"You know... We've had three reports of incidents just like the one you just had in the past two months, both in Vermont and New Hampshire. "

And I'm like, great. At least it wasn't some crazy neighbor who is trying to kill me because he doesn't like the way I mow my Lawn (people in Vermont are nuts)

And he caps it off with this...

"Actually just two weeks ago, a woman up in Rutland had a very similar incident. She turned on all the Floodlights outside of her house, and called us swearing up and down that her and her boys saw BigFoot standing on their porch"

Long pause.

"Uh huh......"

He just looks at me. Nods. And goes,

"Well. I best be going."

lol.... Anyways, moral of the story is, always keep a weapon handy in a place that wont be impossible to access if your put into a tough spot. I don't care who tries to tell you that having a weapon in your home is dangerous... Handle it carefully and responsibly, and it might save you from BigFoot.
Actually this reminds me of something that happened to me and my friends recently. A relative of a friend of mine had bought a large property (100 acres or so) with a very large log house about half an hour away from the lake george area of upstate ny. Anyway her (my friend's) relative also has another house in florida and he needed to go take care of some business down there (I think that he was putting in a much bigger, newer pool). Anyway he told her that she could go up there for a week with her friends.

Now if any of you guys have ever been there, it's pretty crowded. And we were in the lake george area before, but it had always been in a hotel or rental house, so a free week sounded pretty good.

Anyway we got their in the morning and had a good time, the rest of the day. We went to the lake, we came back, took our atvs and motorcross bikes out around the property, played some football, took our jetskis out on the private pond, etc. Anyway it was somewhere around 2 in the morning and the girls were in the house watching tv and us guys, we were in the pool/hot tub. I mean, we didn't go to sleep until around 4-5 in the morning.

Also, I think that this is important, the layout of the house isn't an ordinary "brick" style, it has different sides all around the house. I don't know if what I wrote makes sense, but still. So the pool is on the "front" side of the house facing the pond/lake and the garage is in the back of the house.
And the house is also off the beaten path, there is approx. 5000 ft long gravel driveway from the road.

Point is that at 2 in the morning and we hear these weird voices. I mean, sure we were talking but it wasn't us. And the girls were talking but they were in the house. And these weren't animal noises either, definitely not deer, bear, racoon, owl, etc. These were people talking and the voices were coming from the other side of the house, where the garage is. Well... all of our cars, atvs, motorcross bikes, and other gear were either inside of or in front of the garage.

So one of my friends finally had enough, and said "S*it, I'm gonna go find a baseball bat." I had enough too, but I figured there was too many of us for anybody to shoot, even if it was a thief and it probably wasn't the cops. Even if it was the cops, we could have just called the owner. So I told my friends "You know what? I think we should just go introduce ourselves. All of us, a show of force kind of thing."

So we go around the house, making sure that nobody could see us, even with the deck, pool, flood and house lights on. And when we got there we saw these three redneck punks our age, drunk as hell, with one of them on the laying flat on the ground, with his pants below his knees taking a piss.

*I want to apologize if anyone is offended by the word redneck*

Anyway, I finally say "What the hell is this s*it? WTF is going on here?" The one on the ground and another one of them started rubbing there eyes, as if they can't believe that they see us. You know, in that drunken, confused, dizzy state of mind. These two are also sputtering some sort of words that none of us can make out. So finally the one that seemed least drunk starts talking and says "Hey, my name's Bob, and we just wanted to introduce ourselves. We were bringing this bottle of balinoff over, but seeing how expensive it was, we decided to drink it along the way. And, I'm sorry for having taking a piss on that ducati of yours."

Anyway, my friend got pissed off when he heard that the guy took a piss on his ducati and told him to "f*ck off and go home". We ended up laughing about how one of my friends thought that it was a bear when we got back inside the house.

The next day around 8 or 9 in the morning when we were going back to lake george, we saw them crawling on their hands and knees on the road. (The actual road, not the driveway). So one of my friends called the cops told them that there were three rednecks, crawling on their knees in the middle of the road, drunk. We never saw them after that.
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #59
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
These guys are usually harmless. They're working appointment-based commissions. There's nothing wrong with keeping the door shut. You also have every right to be upset about them stepping on your property to check out your vehicles. In fact, local ordinances usually give you free reign to call the non-emergency police line to report soliciting in your neighborhood. Groups that do this oftentimes don't have up-to-date soliciting licenses in your municipality. If they get a couple of tickets in your area, they're unlikely to come back in the near future.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #60
firstmate

Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
The "being alone" in the house is the key. As a woman, I would never open a door to someone I did not know, day or night. It is just simply not worth it. If I decide I need to buy something, I will go out and find it or call someone who sells it. They sure don't need to come to my house to push it on me.

I think you did the right thing, even too much almost, by opening the door and giving them several warnings. One warning should have been enough, and the second statement out of my mouth would have been: You had your warning, I am calling the police!!! Anyway I would NOT say you are paranoid, just cautious, and there is nothing wrong with that!!!
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #61
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:

And still with the highest amount of people in jail you still cant trust your fellow human beings that you have around...

Very sad.
Well at least our health care won't kill us.

Oh wait we just got the same type of health care!
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #62
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Well at least our health care won't kill us.

Oh wait we just got the same type of health care!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #63
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:

Very sad.
Indeed.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #64
Brokenlizrd

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black/Charcoal
Send a message via Skype™ to Brokenlizrd
You have the RIGHT to bare arm's and if someone where to be in your car port and were to continue walking toward you you could tell them your armed, if they continue you can show it, if continuing you have the right to use it.
Brokenlizrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:59 AM   #65
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenlizrd View Post
You have the RIGHT to bare arm's and if someone where to be in your car port and were to continue walking toward you you could tell them your armed, if they continue you can show it, if continuing you have the right to use it.

?
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #66
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:

Very sad.
Are you saying this isn't a problem in Canada??? *shoving clothes in a bag*

If that's true I'm moving because there are way too many paranoid ppl here!
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #67
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynAgain View Post
Are you saying this isn't a problem in Canada??? *shoving clothes in a bag*

If that's true I'm moving because there are way too many paranoid ppl here!
Wait till you hear what their taxes are, and where we are heading.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote