Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
SGTMiller278CAV
Silver Surfer

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
My Camaro is leaking :(

Walked out side this morning to go grab some breakfast for the wife and kiddos , started the car and got a check engine light... again. Car sounded a little off so I shut her down and popped the hood. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary so I started it back up, check engine light returned , killed the engine again and decided to look under the car. I discovered that my car was crying ... and at a substantial rate. It was leaking oil like crazy, the car was on for at the most, one minute. I have no previous leaks that I know of, I park in the same spot almost every day and haven't seen a spot of oil in the driveway or in the garage. I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 9am to get the car looked at.

My question is should I drive it with this oil leak or call a buddy and get it towed out there?

p.s. I know my car is disgusting, snow + rain for the last couple days = a gross car.
Attached Images

SLP Loudmouth 1 Exhaust / Magnaflow Resonated X pipe / 22 Inch AAC Dynamic Scanner / Reverse Rally Stripes / LS badges (emblempros.com) / Gill Decals / Flat Black SS Rims / SS Rear Diffuser / Flat Black Spoiler / Heritage Grill / Custom Painted Tail Light Bezels / Custom Painted Engine Cover / Plati Dipped Trunk Lid

SGTMiller278CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Find out where it is leaking from first, but I'd proabaly tow it. If you do drive it, bring extra oil just in case.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
first make sure the drain plug is on tight, and then check the oil filter.

if it's still under warranty, I'd have them tow it. be advised though, if it's not something that's covered under warranty they will charge you for the tow.

but no, I would not drive it like that. you could do way to much damage to the motor.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Mooch

Drives: 2010 camaro
Tow.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Ekow
SoCal HT5 [COTW: 3/12/12]

Drives: '10 2LT/RS
Since the oil leakage is that much in one minute, definitely get it towed.
Ekow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
SGTMiller278CAV
Silver Surfer

Thank you for the quick responses, I crawled under the car looking for the source of the leak and I can't find it, I can see where the oil is dripping off the frame but I can't find the source from the engine. Checked the drain plug and it is tight. I will get it towed, I can upload some more pictures from under the car to show you where it is coming off the frame to give you guys a better idea if you guys would like.
SLP Loudmouth 1 Exhaust / Magnaflow Resonated X pipe / 22 Inch AAC Dynamic Scanner / Reverse Rally Stripes / LS badges (emblempros.com) / Gill Decals / Flat Black SS Rims / SS Rear Diffuser / Flat Black Spoiler / Heritage Grill / Custom Painted Tail Light Bezels / Custom Painted Engine Cover / Plati Dipped Trunk Lid

Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2014 ZL1
My 2010 has only had one warranty issue, which was an oil leak at the timing chain cover.
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Mooch

Drives: 2010 camaro
Wonder if your oil pump pressure relief valve is stuck. This could jack your oil pressure and blow oil out the front main. Idk. Shot in the dark.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Thats a BIG LEAK , I had one in the Oil Cooler at the rear of the engine which has a TSB for a faulty gasket thats a 20 minute fix but that leak looks serious, If the check engine light is on I bet you have LOW oil pressure as well, GET IT TOWED !
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I wouldn't drive it especially if your dealer is far from your house.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
SGTMiller278CAV
Silver Surfer

I found the leak!! A phone call to a buddy (liv4muddin) and some scrounging around under the car, it is the oil cooling tube. The leak is right at the seal that connects to the radiator. So at least I know the problem. I have the tow truck scheduled through the dealer and hopefully a few hours of my car getting worked on it should be fixed.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Cool. At least you traced it to the source. Good luck with it Sarge.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
I had a leak in a 74 Mercury Marquis with a 460 engine, thing leaked about a quart every 10-14 days, depending on how much I drove it. The leak was a bad back seal that butted up against the auto tranny and the mechanic then (in 1985) wanted $350 to fix it. Well, oil was 99cents a quart back then, and I was making about $180 a week so I never had to do another oil change ever again, ha.

Then I moved and a real anal retired mechanic who lived next to me would change his oil every 800-1000 miles on his DD, think it was an Olds 98. So I asked him if I could have his used oil, he obliged, but not before he stated: "yeah, why don't you just pour it out on the ground where you park, make it quicker for you?".....
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
SGTMiller278CAV
Silver Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
I had a leak in a 74 Mercury Marquis with a 460 engine, thing leaked about a quart every 10-14 days, depending on how much I drove it. The leak was a bad back seal that butted up against the auto tranny and the mechanic then (in 1985) wanted $350 to fix it. Well, oil was 99cents a quart back then, and I was making about $180 a week so I never had to do another oil change ever again, ha.

Then I moved and a real anal retired mechanic who lived next to me would change his oil every 800-1000 miles on his DD, think it was an Olds 98. So I asked him if I could have his used oil, he obliged, but not before he stated: "yeah, why don't you just pour it out on the ground where you park, make it quicker for you?".....
lol, I used to have a 98 Dodge Ram that would leak like a sinking ship. Ended up selling it to my brother, engine blew about a year after he bought it. He sold it a cop, he put a new engine in it and I see it about once a week, still kicking lol.