Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
SGTMiller278CAV
Silver Surfer

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Creaking sound when I start moving (Help)

So first off, 2011 LS M6.

When I start rolling from a stop, I can hear a slight creaking sound coming from the rear of the car. I have crawled under the car and everything seems to be "ok". nothing loose or snapped or leaking of any sorts. I cannot tell if it is doing it at higher speeds due to my loud exhaust. It only happens when I first start rolling for about one second.

It is very noticeable from outside the car (let the wife drive it so I could hear it).

Is there a TSB for something like this? anyone ever experience this with their Camaro?

Please
SLP Loudmouth 1 Exhaust / Magnaflow Resonated X pipe / 22 Inch AAC Dynamic Scanner / Reverse Rally Stripes / LS badges (emblempros.com) / Gill Decals / Flat Black SS Rims / SS Rear Diffuser / Flat Black Spoiler / Heritage Grill / Custom Painted Tail Light Bezels / Custom Painted Engine Cover / Plati Dipped Trunk Lid

SGTMiller278CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
It could be your exhaust banging around. The person who did the install in mine didn't tuck the exhaust up well enough and found out that it was causing the same creaking noise to happen with me.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
SGTMiller278CAV
Silver Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
It could be your exhaust banging around. The person who did the install in mine didn't tuck the exhaust up well enough and found out that it was causing the same creaking noise to happen with me.
Thanks! I will tuck the exhaust in a little further and see if that helps.
SLP Loudmouth 1 Exhaust / Magnaflow Resonated X pipe / 22 Inch AAC Dynamic Scanner / Reverse Rally Stripes / LS badges (emblempros.com) / Gill Decals / Flat Black SS Rims / SS Rear Diffuser / Flat Black Spoiler / Heritage Grill / Custom Painted Tail Light Bezels / Custom Painted Engine Cover / Plati Dipped Trunk Lid

Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I presume that you've tried narrowing down the list of suspects...

Park on a steep hill, engine off... release the brake, see if you get it. Try it engine on, engine off, forward, backward, in gear, in neutral...

Try replicating it with light "brakestanding."

Try rocking/ bouncing the car by hand... see if it's suspension issue (bushings can creak)...

Make sure there are no coffins with stirring vampires in the trunk.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Exhaust DOES sound like the most likely culprit... if it were me, I'd try tightly wedging something in various places along the exhaust route, to see if the location can be pinpointed... don't forget to remove the wedge material before hitting the Autobahn, though!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
SGTMiller278CAV
Silver Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
I presume that you've tried narrowing down the list of suspects...

Park on a steep hill, engine off... release the brake, see if you get it. Try it engine on, engine off, forward, backward, in gear, in neutral...

Try replicating it with light "brakestanding."

Try rocking/ bouncing the car by hand... see if it's suspension issue (bushings can creak)...

Make sure there are no coffins with stirring vampires in the trunk.
Just gave the car a run-around and I am almost sure it is the exhaust. and also no vampires lol.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
2012SS

Drives: 2012 V.R. Camaro SS, '67 Camaro
Not sure what you mean by "creaking", but I installed my exhaust myself and accidentally bent the heat shield through the tunnel enough that it was hitting the U-joint on the driveshaft close to the transmission. For the life of me I coukdnt figure out what it was, finally I put the rear up on jacks and turned the tires. This sounded closer to a "tapping" though. Does your sound have the frequency of any drivetrain movement? Mine was making the noise at a relative speed to the driveshaft so that's what helped me to track it down.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Dylan88
UCF Knights

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
mine does it also. will have to look at the exhaust.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
SGTMiller278CAV
Silver Surfer

the best way I can explain the creaking (fixed now) is when you hear a 1980 junkyard POS driving beside you, you hear a creaking like someone crawling into an old bed or (vampire coffin from a bloodsucking movie). it is a very odd sound.

but on another note took my car to the FMS shop, (active military so have a full time shop open all the time). loosened up the exhaust, recentered, pushed the tips in more, and impacted the living hell out of it.

creaking = gone.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTMiller278CAV View Post
the best way I can explain the creaking (fixed now) is when you hear a 1980 junkyard POS driving beside you, you hear a creaking like someone crawling into an old bed or (vampire coffin from a bloodsucking movie). it is a very odd sound.

but on another note took my car to the FMS shop, (active military so have a full time shop open all the time). loosened up the exhaust, recentered, pushed the tips in more, and impacted the living hell out of it.

creaking = gone.
Glad that helped you!