The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
ROBBDOGG1986
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
I need help!

So I think my laptop is done, crashed?.... It won't fully power up. The key board lights up and fans turn but screen won't power. After about a min the whole cuts off and tries to turn back on again and again! Until it just completely stops! Is there anything I can do to get it back on? Gotta alot of pics I need to save! Thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
eeeeeehhhh..... sounds like it is kaput. If you can't even see the normal boot up stuff on the screen, tis not a good sign. And the fact that it keeps rebooting itself leads me to believe the hard drive may have failed along with it. Take it to a computer repair shop or someone you know that is good with computers, have them remove the hard drive and see if they can recover anything. The laptop itself will probably need to be replaced. It sucks, I know. Also in the future, consider buying an external hard drive and keep photos and important files backed up on it.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
I am in agreement with Arrow. I ALWAYS back my stuff up on either data disks, flash drives or an external server/hard-drive. You never know when something will bite the bullet.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Have you tried to reboot in safe mode? What kind of computer are we talking about?
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
Have you tried to reboot in safe mode? What kind of computer are we talking about?
the screen doesn't even power on, somehow I doubt safe mode would do much good if he could get to it, heh
Old 03-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
NoUCantDriveIt

Drives: 2SS RS M6 CGM/Black Rally
Ouch! Not good. Here's what you do, and I've found it will fix any computer related issue. First, stop at the beer distributor and pick up "supplies", you're going to need 'em! Then go to hardware store and get a 20lb sledge hammer and a sharpie pen. When you get home, write on handle of hammer "Computer Fix it tool". Now, this part is critical... make sure you partake of the supplies from beer distributor first, then have at-it on the computer with your new Fix-it tool. I guarentee your computer problem will be gone in no time! Ummmnnn... did I mention to pick up Alka-Selzer on the way home earler?
NoUCantDriveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
That's not good. Take it to a computer repair shop, it may be something easy to fix for them, but you may need to spend some cash. Still cheaper than getting a new computer.

If all else fails, it's time to get a new laptop
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
CaMeRoN187

Drives: 2011 SW 1LT
the wires burned it cost about 300+ to fix it if its the same problem im thinking of i wouldnt recomend messing with it unless you know what your doing
CaMeRoN187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
manchimp

Drives: 2010 CGM 2ss
I would take the hard drive out and put it in an enclosure and see if you can save your data. Then just get a new computer and put that stuff back on it.
manchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchimp View Post
I would take the hard drive out and put it in an enclosure and see if you can save your data. Then just get a new computer and put that stuff back on it.

had to do this with my wife's laptop. (she has a tendency to hit it and throw it when it isn't running "fast enough")

pulled the hard drive, bought an external adapter at Best Buy for like $45.00. Set the hard drive to slave and hooked it up to my pc. copied the data, bought a new laptop minus hard drive, swapped in hard drive, wiped it clean and reinstalled windows, then copied over the info from my pc
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
Ant32894
Youjellybra?

Drives: 95 3.4l V6
This does this with desktops, recently happened to my uncle. It would turn on for 3 secs and shut off. Found out it is the power supply. Or you could of fried your processor by not giving it enough air. This is done by keeping the laptop on a flat surface (ie: a table).