Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
AdmAnt13

Drives: '16 Red Hot 2SS M6 NPP
Joy Rided my car

Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been covered before. I have searched for certain subjects but couldn't find an answer that suits me.

Brought my car to a "reputable" detailer to have full paint correction and ceramic coating done. Upon picking it up, not only did i realize the paint correction was really not done, but the front end paint looked sand blasted. Overall it looked worse.

Fine setting that all aside, i slowly realize that my car was driven. 10 miles on the clock, things seem off and THEN, step on the brakes. Car shakes pretty bad.

Hit Dealer is on the way home and they confirm all 4 brakes are warped. I'm pretty sure to warp 4 Brembro brakes, you have to be driving like a complete donkey. The car has 10,000 on it all of which I've driven... I know this car.

My question to you. It's MY 16. No PDR, and no On star subscribed although they are trying to pull up the smart driver history.

Is there any way i can get vehicle history via the dealer and ECM? What would all you fine people do? Thanks for your help!!

-Kinda sick
Adam

'16 2SS, M6, Borla Atak
AdmAnt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
camaroras

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I had something similar happen to me (joy ride, but no apparent damage). I found out by checking the on star app smart driver logs. I'm not subscribed to on star, but I still get that info in the app
camaroras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Wow! You need to file a report with the police. It sounds like significant damage has been done to your car, and it's possible it's a criminal act.

Sorry, man, that totally sucks. Many times test drives are required and we can only hope the tech doesn't abuse the car. In your case there is no excuse, detailing doesn't require any driving at all. I'm about to bring mine to a local body shop to repair some minor damage, someone hit my car when it was parked, I walk up to my car and was like WTF! Not a big deal but a pretty big PITA to deal with. I'm going to tell the manager I'm recording the mileage and don't want it driven.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmAnt13 View Post
Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been covered before. I have searched for certain subjects but couldn't find an answer that suits me.

Brought my car to a "reputable" detailer to have full paint correction and ceramic coating done. Upon picking it up, not only did i realize the paint correction was really not done, but the front end paint looked sand blasted. Overall it looked worse.

Fine setting that all aside, i slowly realize that my car was driven. 10 miles on the clock, things seem off and THEN, step on the brakes. Car shakes pretty bad.

Hit Dealer is on the way home and they confirm all 4 brakes are warped. I'm pretty sure to warp 4 Brembro brakes, you have to be driving like a complete donkey. The car has 10,000 on it all of which I've driven... I know this car.

My question to you. It's MY 16. No PDR, and no On star subscribed although they are trying to pull up the smart driver history.

Is there any way i can get vehicle history via the dealer and ECM? What would all you fine people do? Thanks for your help!!

-Kinda sick
Adam
Did you contact the service manager about this? 10k miles and warped rotors should stand out like a sore thumb. Should not have signed off on the repair with the front looking that way if you went in for paint correction. Always take before photos before going to the dealer....ALWAYS. Either way though they should have did a sign off check before accepting your car to check for previous cosmetic damage. If the front end damage is new then the work order will not have it on there so would have grounds on suing for the front end damage. You may be able to play off the brake damage on that account with the service manager. Be firm and let them know they will definitely fail a survey if they dont rectify it.

Also call Chevrolet Customer Service.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
These are brakes designed to survive track day and 10 miles around block they got warped... come on.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:31 PM   #6
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Wow! You need to file a report with the police. It sounds like significant damage has been done to your car, and it's possible it's a criminal act.
The cops won't get involved. It's a civil matter.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #7
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
44k miles on mine and just had it at the Chevy dealer.
No issue with pads or rotors.
Maybe it's the humidity in NC!
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:02 AM   #8
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
These are brakes designed to survive track day and 10 miles around block they got warped... come on.
I was thinking the same thing. I don’t think you could warp the rotors in 10 miles on the street even if you tried. Something doesn’t add up here.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Or....

The detailer got some tire shine overspray on the rotors, causing a slip-stick on the rotors. Feels just like warped rotors. Very easy to do if you don't have a good technique. Always spray the product onto the applicator away from the car, never spray at the car.

Pull the wheels and give the rotors a good cleaning with some brake cleaner. Betcha the "warp" goes away.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #10
Kiteboarder85

Drives: 2018 SS - 2015 SS 1LE - 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Or....

The detailer got some tire shine overspray on the rotors, causing a slip-stick on the rotors. Feels just like warped rotors. Very easy to do if you don't have a good technique. Always spray the product onto the applicator away from the car, never spray at the car.

Pull the wheels and give the rotors a good cleaning with some brake cleaner. Betcha the "warp" goes away.
This was my initial thought, but I was thinking the modern wheel cleaners (Like Adams that turn purple). Some of the products out there, if you leave on too long, or don't fully spray off the over-spray on the brake components....you are asking for issues.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Here I am trying to figure out past tense for Joy Ride.

Sorry OP, I hope the dealership misspoke and you dont have warped rotors. It will be a fight to get them to fix what they did, so I really hope the damage if any is minimal.

Good luck!!
Old 10-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Be careful man. depending on how you approach the dealership..they could come back at you saying your brakes we're already like that before you brought it in ther to cover themselves. And not agree to fix your brake issue.
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #13
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Did you contact the service manager about this? 10k miles and warped rotors should stand out like a sore thumb. Should not have signed off on the repair with the front looking that way if you went in for paint correction. Always take before photos before going to the dealer....ALWAYS. Either way though they should have did a sign off check before accepting your car to check for previous cosmetic damage. If the front end damage is new then the work order will not have it on there so would have grounds on suing for the front end damage. You may be able to play off the brake damage on that account with the service manager. Be firm and let them know they will definitely fail a survey if they dont rectify it.

Also call Chevrolet Customer Service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange devil View Post
Be careful man. depending on how you approach the dealership..they could come back at you saying your brakes we're already like that before you brought it in ther to cover themselves. And not agree to fix your brake issue.

Guys, the OP took the car to a Detailer not a Car Dealership. A Car Dealership confirmed the Warped Rotors
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #14
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Guys, the OP took the car to a Detailer not a Car Dealership. A Car Dealership confirmed the Warped Rotors
hahahahaha LOL
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote