The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes

Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
All season tires installed!

Today I got a set of the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s installed on my factory Z51 wheels. Sizes are the same as stock, 245/35R19 up front and 285/30R20 out back, Michelin part numbers 06553 & 05258 respectively. They are Y speed rated, the fronts have a 93 load rating and the rears 99. All have 45,000 mile tread life warranty, and 3-year flat tire changing assistance included. These are cold-weather, all-season tires, designed for driving in pretty much all normally encountered winter temperatures and mild snow/slush conditions. They are NOT intended to be driven in deep snow or on ice!

My dealer was able to dismount the factory tires, mount and balance the new ones, out the door for $1205.96, and I can still send in for a $70 Michelin rebate. Mounting included nitrogen-only inflation.

Please note: these tires are NOT run-flats. They do ride a little less firm due to the lack of run-flat reinforcing, but if you get a flat, you'll need to call a flat bed. They are also 2 pounds lghter each than the factory tires for the same reason. A small side benefit is the lower weight will gain you a slight improvement in fuel mileage. The are also not a true snow tire, meaning you shouldn't really drive them in heavy snow conditions. But then, you really should just stay home if it's that crappy out anyway!

My first impression is positive: they have excellent initial grip in 55-60 degree temps, and exhibit no more road noise than the originals. I get the impression they have less rolling resistance, and seem to steer a little easier. This is purely my subjective opinion, as I have no way to test other than by seat-of-the-pants. And admittedly, I have only 40 or so miles on them so far.

I just wanted to pass along one possible option for those living in colder regions who may drive their Stingray during the winter months. I will be able to add more real-world info over the next few days, as my local weather will be going from the 60s and dry to the teens & 20s and snow possibly mixed with sleet between now and Friday evening.

Here's a photo of the front. The rears have one more row of tread blocks due to the extra width. Oh, and I did keep the original tires to reinstall come spring!
Attached Images

'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
Thanks so much for "treading the way" for us. We're at freezing here in Tacoma. So I'm being cautious in my driving. Will you carry a can of tire inflator and/or an air pump? I carried a pump and it got me out of flat long enough to get it plugged.
REVVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
purpleRac3r

I'll carry a compressor & plug kit on longer trips. I only live a mile or so from work and have AAA so locally I don't feel the need. And for any nay-sayers out there, I have had non-runflats on my other cars without spares, and in over 15 years had no problems while driving any of them.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
bkindall
NCM Raffle Winner

Drives: '14 Cpe 3LT Z51 Crystal Red
Thanks for the post and first hand review on a C7. Those were the ones I am planning on putting on mine when I get it in two weeks. I've been reading all of the comments about non-run flats being used and how it would leave you stranded should you get a flat. How many flats do people get? I've had 2 in my entire driving experience (knock on wood) and both have been on trailers due to overly worn tires. Granted, I'm 32 and don't have the driving experience that others here do, but I think 16 years over driving is still a nice sample size.
bkindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
1KUIKC7

Drives: 2015 Zo6 3zl
Those are nice and a fair price too.
1KUIKC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
purpleRac3r

Ok, here's an update after driving on the new tires for a few days. They are very quiet on most surfaces, though, like the factory tires, do have some noticable sound on grooved pavement. Nothing annoying, and all tires make some noise depending on pavement surface.

I have experienced absolutely no "chatter" in slow, tight turns, even in temps as low as 15 degrees F. They steer just as well in the teens as they do in the 50s. Traction is consistent throughout this temperature range and is excellent, all things considered.

The recent winter storm passed to the south of my location, and I didn't get so much as a single snow flake at my house, so I have yet to see about traction in light snow or slush. I may head south tomorrow to find some - but not too far. Only 75 miles south of me got 12"-16" of snow!

I will add more info as the season progresses.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
purpleRac3r

I finally was able to drive the new all-season tires in snow today. Granted, it was only about on inch, but snow it was. I got out on the roads before the street department salted them, so this is a good first test. The air temperature was 25 degrees F. I set the driver mode to Weather, except as noted.

First off, I was able to back down my moderately steep driveway with no slipping, and out into the street. Moving forward presented no challenge, as long as I kept a light throttle. Of course, a good blip of the throttle would get some spin, but nothing outrageous. Even starting uphill from a standstill with the manual trans was easy; again, light throttle. I went to a nearby subdivision that has several streets with no homes built yet to see what occured on virgin snow. Mashing the gas would get some wheelspin, but it was very controlable with virtually no sideways movement. What little there was straightened out as soon as I let off the gas. Some drag launches and panic type stops produced some slipping but it was almost boring. Some sharp ttwisting of the steering would get a bit of sideways motion, and I could feel the ABS independently function at each wheel to minimize slip and spin. The electronics do a spectacular job of keeping the car in control!

Next off to an empty untreated parking lot. With more room, I was able get a bit more aggressive in my traction testing. This included quicker accellerations, harder braking and turns under throttle. As expected, there was some slipping on all counts. What was unexpected was how well the car returned to full control as soon as I let off the gas. It practically corrected itself! And at no time did I encounter any trouble with the tires that the car and some intelligence on my part couldn't handle. I have every confidence that I could drive within reason to any destination in a few inches of snow. As long as there is no ice, or the snow isn't more than 3"-4" deep, these tires should get you around if needed.

Of course, as with any car driven in the snow, I encourage everyone who expects to to go out and in a safe location, get to know the limits of you and your car. A little "driver training" in an empty parking lot will go a long way to improving your driving skill in adverse conditions on the road. And you might have some fun in the process (driver mode to Track for the best donuts!).

Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Tony Alonso

Thanks for the review - sounds like a good outcome!
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
louloumax

Drives: 2014 corvette coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVVIC View Post
Thanks so much for "treading the way" for us. We're at freezing here in Tacoma. So I'm being cautious in my driving. Will you carry a can of tire inflator and/or an air pump? I carried a pump and it got me out of flat long enough to get it plugged.
caution: if you use the can of inflator/sealer it will wipe out the tire pressure sensors. best to carry a small compressor, a pair of needle nose vise grips and a tire plug kit for temporary repairs.
louloumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
binko

Drives: Honda Accord
did you find the aftermarket tires quieter or the same as the OEMs for road noise?
binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by louloumax View Post
caution: if you use the can of inflator/sealer it will wipe out the tire pressure sensors. best to carry a small compressor, a pair of needle nose vise grips and a tire plug kit for temporary repairs.

not in the last year..many fix a flats are tire pressure safe....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
Looked but can't find a cold weather run-flat for a Z51 - Probably get the above tire or a Pirelli (more expensive), which also is not a run-flat - Obviously, some of us just getting our C7s want a cold weather tire so we can drive them and not just park them and look longingly at them all winter - Still want to get a run-flat - Anyone know of a run-flat that works on a Z51?
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
binko

Drives: Honda Accord
The fact that they are summer tires shouldn't prevent them from being driven in the winter. Granted they are not snow tires and perhaps the level of grip will be somewhat less for performance driving, but they are still usable.
Is there something that I am not aware of. Mine C7 is due to ship any day now to NJ. It's 17 deg right now. If the roads are dry and salt free, I plan to be using it.
binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
bkindall
NCM Raffle Winner

Drives: '14 Cpe 3LT Z51 Crystal Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by binko View Post
The fact that they are summer tires shouldn't prevent them from being driven in the winter. Granted they are not snow tires and perhaps the level of grip will be somewhat less for performance driving, but they are still usable.
Is there something that I am not aware of. Mine C7 is due to ship any day now to NJ. It's 17 deg right now. If the roads are dry and salt free, I plan to be using it.
I was told by 2 separate dealers who both went to the Spring Mountain C7 training in different weeks that the stock wheels will be fine as long as you drive responsibly and cautious on them. I was extremely worried about them because I have to drive from The Museum in Ky to near Richmond, VA next Wednesday. I was told that the wheels would warm up while being driven on, just don't do anything stupid while riving on them (in not so many words ) I am still planning on putting A/S tires on mine when I get home, you know like Thursday, but, based on my conversations with those two people, I feel confident in driving my new baby home on them.
bkindall is offline   Reply With Quote