Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
GlennP

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Two questions, one about towels and another about glaze...

I figgured I'de roll these two into one.

First off, I got my porter cable adams kit this weekend and I already went nuts on my girlfriends civic for practice, lol. This pic is before the wax!

So anyways, after doing it I came up with two unresolved questions.

Should I wipe it down between polishing steps? There was some haze left and after doing the white pad I picked up a slight tinge of orange. Should I just polish out the swirl & haze remover more, wipe it inbetween, or just dont worry about the minor remnants?

Also, after the machine super wax (boy does that go on easy!) and I wipe it down, can I use the same cloth to wipe down americana wax?

Annnnd last but not least, just to clarify, glaze is just for giggles right? No extra protection?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Glenn, nice work.

When I detail, I do some cars by hand, others using the Porter Cable RO, but whichever method I'm using, I prefer to wipe the car down with a clean towel/polishing cloth, each time between "steps". It may be a little "over the top", but I like to do as good a job as possible.

And the "glaze" act's as a final step in offering more shine.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Lookin' good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennP View Post
So anyways, after doing it I came up with two unresolved questions.

Should I wipe it down between polishing steps? There was some haze left and after doing the white pad I picked up a slight tinge of orange. Should I just polish out the swirl & haze remover more, wipe it inbetween, or just dont worry about the minor remnants?
If you've properly broken down the polishes all you're left with is residues (non-abrasive) so its perfectly fine to go right over the residues from the previous polish without any problems. If you're more comfortable removing each step then theres no harm there either... its just more effort that isn't entirely necessary.

Quote:
Also, after the machine super wax (boy does that go on easy!) and I wipe it down, can I use the same cloth to wipe down americana wax?
As long as the towel is still fairly clean and not clogged up with residues from the Machine Super Sealant then you should be fine. Ideally you want to use a fresh towel though.

Also, make sure you're allowing the appropriate cure time for the Super Sealant... it needs 30 minutes of cure time before removal and another 12-24hours before layering another product. Prematurely putting wax over the top of a fresh MSS coat can lead to some clouding on darker colors that will require you to remove the products and reapply to fix.

Quote:
Annnnd last but not least, just to clarify, glaze is just for giggles right? No extra protection?
Yes... Glaze is applied AFTER sealants or BEFORE waxes for a little added 'POP' but it does absolutely nothing for your protection.

Hope that helps clarify. If you have other questions let me know!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote