Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #29
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
The Diablo folks swear that their tune is invisible to any scanner GM has.
It may be, to a scanner, but big deal. They can still see the time stamps in the ECU. Bottom line is if you want to keep your warranty and have no issues, don't tune it. If you want to tune it, be prepared to flip the bill on possible repairs if voided. These new ECU's are far more sophisticated then many think...

But it all depends on your dealer. My current GM car is well out of warranty, but my Ford dealer could care less about my mods. Heck, they rebuilt my rear diff, even though my car has full aftermarket suspension, a converter, full exhaust and a tune. The techs actually commented on the mods after they did the work.

Last edited by SS 1LE; 11-24-2015 at 03:19 PM.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #30
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
It may be, to a scanner, but big deal. They can still see the time stamps in the ECU. Bottom line is if you want to keep your warranty and have no issues, don't tune it. If you want to tune it, be prepared to flip the bill on possible repairs if voided. These new ECU's are far more sophisticated then many think...

But it all depends on your dealer. My current GM car is well out of warranty, but my Ford dealer could care less about my mods. Heck, they rebuilt my rear diff, even though my car has full aftermarket suspension, a converter, full exhaust and a tune. They techs actually commented on the mods after they did the work.
I can see them...
Old 11-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Here is a list of free options to keep CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Selection aka 'Skipshift') from engaging:

• Start in 2nd (though this probably isn't the best idea)
  • Use more than 1/4 throttle
  • Shift to 2nd either before 15 mph or after 22 mph
Do any one of those, and it shouldn't engage. I should make it clear that I haven't see anything specifically on the 2016 Camaro yet, so those numbers are based off other cars that have CAGS. The exact parameters for speed and throttle tend to change from car to car but those are the typical values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwill25 View Post
If it does block you going from 1st to 2nd, I haven't found it yet. I have done a few hard launches, not as much as I want since I am just at about 100 miles so far, and it always just pops the message up but I can go into 2nd without an issue.
Skipshift does not engage during 'spirited' driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Thank GM engineers for designing skip shift. They've had it on all cars with a V8 and 6 speed manual since the first 1989 Corvette ZR1. It has helped everyone avoid the federal gas guzzler tax on base V8 Camaros, Corvettes, Pontiac G8 and GTO, and Firebirds/Trans Ams. Higher performance models (ZL1, Z/28) do not escape the tax, but they do get a lower tax than if it didn't have skip shift.

You can also thank GM engineers for making it easily defeated by a $20.00 wiring harness available from virtually any on-line store that sells car parts, and also thank them for making it super easy to install.

GM knows many people will defeat the skip shift...... it's really a thumb of the nose to the EPA. Stuff like that is actually amusing.
I'm 99.999% certain that skip shift originates from Tremec not GM. Dodges and Fords with the TR6060 have skip shift as well.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 PM   #32
DevonK

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Shift to 2nd either before 15 mph or after 22 mph
Is there a rpm X speed table or chart around to tell us what the revs need to be for this?
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
If you just drive the car like you're supposed to skip shift isn't even an issue. I put 1k miles on a 6th Gen and around the 800 mile mark had to ask if it even had skip shift. It doesn't activate unless you're driving like a grandma or in slow traffic etc.

The rev matching is awesome and like others have said a simple tap of the paddle and it's off/on.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:04 AM   #34
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonK View Post
Is there a rpm X speed table or chart around to tell us what the revs need to be for this?
Skip Shift Description and Operation
The skip shift solenoid is a performance feature which forces the driver to shift from first gear to fourth gear during light acceleration and low engine load conditions. This feature is used to ensure fuel economy and compliance with federal economy standards. The skip shift system consist of the following components: [*]The powertrain control module (PCM) .[*]The skip shift solenoid.[*]The skip shift lamp. With the ignition ON, battery voltage is supplied directly to the skip shift solenoid. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the solenoid by grounding the control circuit. When the skip shift system is active the PCM also grounds the control circuit of the skip shift lamp. The lamp illuminates to inform the driver that the 1-4 skip shift is engaged. The PCM determines when the skip shift system is active when the following parameters are met:[*]The vehicle speed is between 24 - 31 km/h (15 - 19 mph) .[*]The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is greater than 77°C (171°F) .[*]The BARO is greater than 76 kPa.[*]The accelerator pedal position (APP) is less than 26 percent. When the conditions are met the powertrain control module (PCM) grounds the skip shift solenoid control circuit. This energizes the skip shift solenoid and mechanically blocks the gear shift lever from going in
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #35
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
I would say that I see the 1 to 4 about 30% of the time when I drive but I am not driving for "best mpg". It is really simple to use as the backwards pull motion literally takes you to 4th from 1st so you don't even have to do anything extra work for it.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #36
DevonK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Skip Shift Description and Operation
The skip shift solenoid is a performance feature which forces the driver to shift from first gear to fourth gear during light acceleration and low engine load conditions. This feature is used to ensure fuel economy and compliance with federal economy standards. The skip shift system consist of the following components: [*]The powertrain control module (PCM) .[*]The skip shift solenoid.[*]The skip shift lamp. With the ignition ON, battery voltage is supplied directly to the skip shift solenoid. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the solenoid by grounding the control circuit. When the skip shift system is active the PCM also grounds the control circuit of the skip shift lamp. The lamp illuminates to inform the driver that the 1-4 skip shift is engaged. The PCM determines when the skip shift system is active when the following parameters are met:[*]The vehicle speed is between 24 - 31 km/h (15 - 19 mph) .[*]The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is greater than 77°C (171°F) .[*]The BARO is greater than 76 kPa.[*]The accelerator pedal position (APP) is less than 26 percent. When the conditions are met the powertrain control module (PCM) grounds the skip shift solenoid control circuit. This energizes the skip shift solenoid and mechanically blocks the gear shift lever from going in
Interesting - so skip shift is not governed only by speed/RPMs as some (including myself) were assuming - throttle position matters.

But practically speaking you'd still be accelerating pretty hard with a 25% throttle opening when you have 455 hp on tap, especially since production cars don't have linear throttle ramps - which means that road speed at the point of the 1-2 shift will still govern the application of skip shift the vast majority of the time in day-to-day driving.

So the question remains: What RPM in first gear is 24 kph? 31 kph?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #37
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Interesting - so skip shift is not governed only by speed/RPMs as some (including myself) were assuming - throttle position matters.

But practically speaking you'd still be accelerating pretty hard with a 25% throttle opening when you have 455 hp on tap, especially since production cars don't have linear throttle ramps - which means that road speed at the point of the 1-2 shift will still govern the application of skip shift the vast majority of the time in day-to-day driving.

Here's a spreadsheet I created that answers that, but you'll need to convert to km/hr: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...38&postcount=2
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #38
DevonK

Quote:
Well the answer for both is it's virtually at idle lol. First gear redlines at a whopping 54 mph! Holy crap, that is ridiculous.

24 kph/14.9 mph ~ 1800 rpm
31 kph/19.3 mph ~ 2350 rpm

Don't think skip shift is going to be an issue for me, I'm used to upshifting around 3k rpm currently.

The SS needs a 4.51 rear end, this super-long gearing is going to nearly obliterate the enjoyment of shifting, as you'll either be shifting barely above idle all the time like you're driving a diesel, or you'll hardly be shifting at all as any non-highway driving will be done in 1st and 2nd gear.

Last edited by DevonK; 11-25-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #39
DevonK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Here's a spreadsheet I created that answers that, but you'll need to convert to km/hr: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...38&postcount=2
Thanks, I used an online calculator - let's see if the results are identical...close, you've used a smaller tire diameter than Tire Rack has for the OEM tire size so your speeds per rpm are a bit lower. Which is good news, I hope your numbers are more accurate.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #40
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffnstuff1 View Post
So what does people think of the skip shift and the new rev match on the 6th camaro, I ordered mine with a manual transmission and Im worried about the skip shift going from 1st to 4th.
Quote:
I heard the 6th gen has improved drastically with the skip shift, I know the 5th there is a module to install, I bought a manual to enjoy the feel and control if shifting and they take gears away, Damn. but I cant wait.
Quote:
Ok i thought it wont let you sift from 1st to 2nd at certain times it only allows you to shift to 4th, ok if thats the case then i am not too worried about it.
Quote:
what is the point of skip shifting? Is it to manage the RPM and gear ration for better performance or fuel economy or just o be a pain in the ass. when you do skip shift is the engine going to bog down and lower the RPM to prevent over rev. While waiting for mine I am going to go test drive one like Jeff Gordan give my salesman a ride.
Quote:
Thats stupid I dont by cars for fuel econmy If i did i would by a bicycle. I dont care abut fuel consumption.

However being that the manual transmission option does not allow AFM do we have to pay the extra Fuel tax, My dealer did not discuss that.
Quote:
I worry that a tune will void the warranty.
No one can be this stupid..
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #41
CamRamRo

Drives: 2014 TR Stingray M7
I bought the skip shift eliminator harness for my C7, but have not installed it yet. After a few months of dealing with the 2nd gear lockout something happened. I started having a reflex like action bouncing the shifter into neutral then back into 2nd. I find that this is easier than lifting the car to install the harness. Remember, the only time this happens is when you are accelerating very very slowly so you have plenty of time to bounce from neutral to 2nd.
CamRamRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #42
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'm 99.999% certain that skip shift originates from Tremec not GM. Dodges and Fords with the TR6060 have skip shift as well.
CAGS debuted in the 1989 Corvette ZR-1 with the ZF designed 6 speed. While it's not made by GM, it was GM engineers who asked ZF to come up with a way to help improve fuel economy and avoid the then-new gas guzzler tax, or at least reduce it, while they were working with Lotus on the 32 valve V8 for the ZR-1. You're right that Tremec makes it but it debuted with the ZF designed transmission in '89, and GM carried CAGS through all V8, 6 speed equipped F-bodies, GTO, and G8 throughout the 1990s and early 2000s with Borg/Warner and Tremec transmissions.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote