The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #29
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
OP didn't say they were slow, he just thinks the ghost cams are stupid. I would have to agree but I don't think I would have started a thread about it. I don't care if people have it and like it. Just not for me, I don't like it on Camaros either.

Grechen is right though, it's not much different than a muffler delete or an axle back.
A ghost cam is pretending you have something you don't. ...how is a muffler delete or axleback the same thing ?.....where does a catback fit in ? There is zero power gains with that as you know.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #30
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Hell, our forum members spend $200 on a devise so they don't have to press the pedal as far!
I was just thinking the same thing..damn some of us are lazy..lol..
Old 08-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #31
CamRamRo

Drives: 2014 TR Stingray M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLS3 View Post
The only mustang that smoked me so far was a Shelby and I knew that was coming.
I learned the hard way. I knew ZERO about Mustangs, first week in my new Stingray thinking I was king of the road, caught up to one on the interstate and it surprised me. I was telling someone about the fast Mustang with the cobra emblem on it, come to find out it was a GT500.
CamRamRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #32
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
A ghost cam is pretending you have something you don't. ...how is a muffler delete or axleback the same thing ?.....where does a catback fit in ? There is zero power gains with that as you know.
Because they are all things people spend money on to change how the car sounds. Of which none add performance, as far as I know at least.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #33
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Because they are all things people spend money on to change how the car sounds. Of which none add performance, as far as I know at least.
Oh ...I see what your saying. But that would include any exhaust system then. Catbacks fall into that as well. I've heard the ghost cams on youtube. They don't sound anything like a real cam imo. At least a change in exhaust from stock sounds better.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #34
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Oh ...I see what your saying. But that would include any exhaust system then. Catbacks fall into that as well. I've heard the ghost cams on youtube. They don't sound anything like a real cam imo. At least a change in exhaust from stock sounds better.
I have to agree. They sound like a car that is in dire of a repair or at least a tune u .
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #35
essess

Drives: 10 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I have to agree. They sound like a car that is in dire of a repair or at least a tune u .
Well technically, all the ghost cam tune is doing is, at idle, moving the variable cam timing to the high rpm power position that they are normally changed to as the engine rpms climb. So the 5.0 does have a "cam", it can just adjust it to idle smooth and keep low rpm power and proper engine vacuum while still having high rpm power. Im sure the guys here that have nice lumpy cams made to scream as the revs clumb, wouldnt mind not spitting and surging trying to navigate traffic or a parking lot
essess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #36
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by essess View Post
Well technically, all the ghost cam tune is doing is, at idle, moving the variable cam timing to the high rpm power position that they are normally changed to as the engine rpms climb. So the 5.0 does have a "cam", it can just adjust it to idle smooth and keep low rpm power and proper engine vacuum while still having high rpm power. Im sure the guys here that have nice lumpy cams made to scream as the revs clumb, wouldnt mind not spitting and surging trying to navigate traffic or a parking lot
They're making the LSA tighter to give it overlap and the chop. Open it back up and it idles smooth as a kitten. My point is that the guy I'm mentioning swears that it does the same thing power wise, as if he put real cams in it. That there's no point in doing cams because that tune does the same thing as installing real cams. I tried to explain to him that his valve lift isn't changing, but it fell upon deaf ears.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:54 AM   #37
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
you lot forget the main problem with those mustangs.
the suspension set up is identicle to a 1975 ford taunus...our cars have modern suspension.
our cars car go over 100 mph safely...the worst car i have ever driven..my van handles way better...no good having tons of power if u cant use it.
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:59 AM   #38
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
I couldn't even bare to read all the comments.. All I know is the coyote mustang is fast. Not even sure what year, I've asked mustang owners and they claim ever 13' mustang is a coyote?

Anways when I had my 2012 ss with the 3.91 1LE gear ratio and exhaust, I was also lose to my neighbor with his 2013 coyote mustang.

I lined up with him multiple time, I would only win if he missed a shift.. They were all close races.

The sad thing was his coyote was stock to, think if he just threw a few grand into it like I did with my ss, he would have destroyed me.

Idk about anyone else here but I buy Camaro's because I love them. The ZL1 is the slowest when compared to the shebly GT500 and Hellcat. Stock Camaro's are going to lose to mustangs, so thats why you get out and mod your car if you want to win.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:28 AM   #39
essess

Drives: 10 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew peacock View Post
you lot forget the main problem with those mustangs.
the suspension set up is identicle to a 1975 ford taunus...our cars have modern suspension.
our cars car go over 100 mph safely...the worst car i have ever driven..my van handles way better...no good having tons of power if u cant use it.
You are the kind of people that give us a bad name! A track pack gt was faster around a track than the early 5th gen ss's and neck and neck with the later ones. If your car feels safe at 100mph, than so does the mustang. And the ghost tune/power thing, he probably got an actual tune, and they add in the ghost cam option if the person wants it. So the added power is from the tune not from the ghost cam
essess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:36 AM   #40
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
Yea, I almost quit this thread when smucks tried to say the Mustang was a terrible handler compared to the 5th Gen Camaros.

Our Camaros bring a bunch to the table that the Mustang doesn't. Handling ain't one of them. Unless you have the 1LE, Z28, or ZL1, you can't honestly claim it handles better than the Mustang.

Sorry, Fanboys.
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #41
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by essess View Post
Every modern combustion engine has at least one cam, and I understand how they are doing it in the 5.0. From someone that has had many highly modified small block and big block motors, it just doesn't sound the same as the real deal to me. Although, I must say, the 5.0 mustang sounds way better than any other motor I've heard with a ghost tune. I really don't see the point though.

Last edited by motorhead; 08-21-2015 at 06:01 AM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:59 AM   #42
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Ghost cam is indeed stupid and ricey. Coyotes have the advantage over the 5th gen mod for mod though.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote