Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #15
davgoat

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
From the sounds of it, you will be good to go. Pull every V6 specific and bolt in all of the V8 stuff. Sounds like a good weeks worth of work.
When your retired you look for things to keep you busy.
davgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #16
CamRamRo

Drives: 2014 TR Stingray M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davgoat View Post
That interesting. I have been trying to do a search and find the article on the swap but have not been able to find it.

But I know a lot of the car manufacture link all your primary electrical parts under the ECU. Like the window regulator in the doors they are linked together with original ECU. If they are not swapped with a matching ECU they will not commutate and items will not work So if all electrical items are not removed ( door locks ,window regulators etc.) that why things are not commutating

Manufactures are making it if anything is changed out the car has to come back to them to be programed. I think GM has done the same thing that most electrical parts are linked together.

So who ever did the swap might not swapped all the electrical parts
causing items not to commutate this is just my idea sense I have not seen the article
One could just swap doors from the SS to the V6 body and save a lot of time also no?
CamRamRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #17
davgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamRamRo View Post
One could just swap doors from the SS to the V6 body and save a lot of time also no?
If the color was same other wise be lot more work
Old 07-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #18
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Enjoy!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372105

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #19
Strange Flavor

Drives: 17 Fifty SS, 11 2SS, 91 LSX C1500
The only swap I really remember reading about he was trying to use V6 interior electrical stuff and was having issues with that. If you were to swap EVERYTHING electrical from the V8 to the V6 body, you should be fine, they don't know what car they are in as long as its all together. The argument comes if you are doing it just to say you did it, or are you trying to save money. Time and money considered this is not a cheaper alternative to just buying a V8 car.
Strange Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 AM   #20
davgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Flavor View Post
The only swap I really remember reading about he was trying to use V6 interior electrical stuff and was having issues with that. If you were to swap EVERYTHING electrical from the V8 to the V6 body, you should be fine, they don't know what car they are in as long as its all together. The argument comes if you are doing it just to say you did it, or are you trying to save money. Time and money considered this is not a cheaper alternative to just buying a V8 car.
Yes I agree to me if you swap everything from the V6 platform and install all V8 platform item it will make no difference.

The reason looking at doing it most the cars I have owned are rebuilt title cars and I hate doing body work. So what I usually do is by two cars and swap out everything that is good into one car and sell the parts on the other. What I'm looking at doing is buying a wrecked SS that the body is messed up bad and buying another SS, LT or LS body that is a water car or a theft and swapping everything over to it from the wrecked car.

I have done this with the last few cars and have came out quite will on the car I kept and the one I parted out. I'm really looking at buying two SS body instead of a LT or LS sense there is more market for the SS parts to sell off. But I want the option if I can not find another SS body I could use the LT or LS to install all the SS parts in.

Yes it does take some time but I'm retired. It gives me something to do that I enjoy working on them and saves me a lot and no car payments and get the car that I want.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #21
davgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I have been reading the article about Austin swap and I understand is problem. You have to change out ALL the wiring not just part. That will get into you in trouble trying to adapt only part of the wiring and components specially different years and body styles. If you have not done lot of swapping specially wiring it amazing how the wring changes in different years and body styles. They do not have just one harness for one type of car

Is donor car was not a great choose, that car took a hard hit in the front end so a lot of the wiring and components were toast before starting.

I feel for Austin and he is a KY guy were I spent most of my life ( Louisville KY )until moving to FL 6 months ago. It's great seeing someone of is age trying to do what he is doing. Most kids are stuck behind a computer or phone and can only push keys.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #22
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Why everyone keeps bringing up wiring when OP already said he has v8 wiring i dont know.
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #23
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
This post pretty much sums it up
Anybody bother reading that thread? If you did you would know that the wiring harness is the biggest downfall to this project. The ECU, BCM, all that can't be different or it won't work, and also the total cost of the swap (for that guy) was somewhere near 40k on top of the cost of his car. The combined effort between the two posts was all the further I'm willing to try and help this guy avoid disaster. Even if I didn't put any icing on top and make it sugar coated for the guy. But in the end you do what you want, I don't care. not my car, time, or money involved.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:36 PM   #24
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
I swear, some people. He is talking about everything, INCLUDING THE BCM. He will be starting with 2 cars, one with severe structural damage, the other flooded out. All sensors, control modules, and wiring will be swapped over.

If he wants a good project to work on in retirement, good for him. At least he is working on this instead of throwing a bunch of money at a shop to do his work for him like most here would do.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:13 AM   #25
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
I swear, some people. He is talking about everything, INCLUDING THE BCM. He will be starting with 2 cars, one with severe structural damage, the other flooded out. All sensors, control modules, and wiring will be swapped over.
Because this is where the problem lies. The ECU, BCM, and TCU if an auto, are programmed in such a way by GM that if they are removed they become disabled. This is one of the features that GM did in an effort to prevent people from buying these components from a junk yard and having spares that they can tune and swap out when they need warranty work done. So far, no one has been able to figure out how to re-enable these key components and get them to function. It is not a question of just doing a complete electrical swap. If you walk out to your car right now and completely remove the ECU and then reinstall it, it will no longer function even though it is still the exact same vehicle and nothing was changed. These modules are also under heavy restriction by GM so you can not simply walk into a dealership and buy a new one. As interesting and as popular as such swaps are and use to be, unless someone figures out away around this feature, swapping a V8 into a V6 simply will not succeed.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #26
davgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post

If he wants a good project to work on in retirement, good for him. At least he is working on this instead of throwing a bunch of money at a shop to do his work for him like most here would do.

Thank you MagnumForceGB What you are saying is what I'm looking at doing I keep saying it different ways but I'm not doing the same as the others 2 post Those two guys in Post they are talking about using V6 and V8 wiring together it will not work and I know that. I was just wanting to know if the platform on the LS & LT or same as the SS not the wiring.

Right now I'm looking at a SS that a run and drive car but it's a CD title ( Certificate of Destruction) issued by FL. With a CD the car can not be relicensed in FL or most states so it is basically a parts car. If I buy it I will look for a car that either stripped or water damage and salvage title and install all the V8 parts in it. The car I will install the SS parts in might be LT,LS or SS it's what I can get for the best price. Then I will part out the other parts that not used on the car I'm keeping.

I have done this on Honda S2000 and VW GTI that I'm driving right now and came out quite well on the cars. On the S2000 I bought two cars fixed and repaired one and sold the spare parts from the parts car After 5 years and 52 yes 52 S2000 later I quite buying and parting them out and did quite well on parting them out.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #27
davgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Because this is where the problem lies. The ECU, BCM, and TCU if an auto, are programmed in such a way by GM that if they are removed they become disabled. This is one of the features that GM did in an effort to prevent people from buying these components from a junk yard and having spares that they can tune and swap out when they need warranty work done. So far, no one has been able to figure out how to re-enable these key components and get them to function. It is not a question of just doing a complete electrical swap. If you walk out to your car right now and completely remove the ECU and then reinstall it, it will no longer function even though it is still the exact same vehicle and nothing was changed. These modules are also under heavy restriction by GM so you can not simply walk into a dealership and buy a new one. As interesting and as popular as such swaps are and use to be, unless someone figures out away around this feature, swapping a V8 into a V6 simply will not succeed.
Mr_Draco Yes you might be right I'm not sure with GM but most of your manufactures are like that and when you remove or replace ECU, BCM, and TCU and many other parts, the car has to be taken back to the dealer to be reprogrammed to match the original so that it will work

That why dealer are trying to make sure that they sell you the parts and they install them and program them so they can keep track of the parts and make the money off them

Even if both cars are SS body no V6 and swap all the parts from one SS to the another SS even thaw they are both SS I pretty sure it's going to have to be taken to the dealer to be programed.

THANKS
Old 08-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #28
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
Don't forget to swap the radio and rear view mirror or it wont work either!
KR4545 is offline   Reply With Quote