Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #43
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
So much wrong/fail here.
Changing cams does not change your redline point one bit. Only gear changes can do that.
Your engine blew 4 months later and you are blaming this incident? Not likely. Ima say this resulted from an accumulation of bad driving habits Catastrophic failures happen at the time of the event.
You seem to think your elite driving skillz saved they day. Not.
Had to downshift, no. Rear disk brakes are standard in the Camaro now.
Tried third didn't work, so you crammed it in fourth which is directly below third and hit second? WTF?
Then, you tach this thing to the moon and fishtail all over for 2 seconds without thinking to push in the clutch or change gears? And manage to pass the van before you shift? Not possible, if as you say you had a mechanical overrev, applying power would do nothing, the rev limiter would kick in.
As another poster stated, going into second at 80 mph would result in an over rev to maybe 6500.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #44
hionjgb

Drives: ford
I guess the computer Rev Limiter was Turned Off?
hionjgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #45
ShadowLS

Drives: Black LS
This thread is filled with just nonsense.
ShadowLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #46
fletchf

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
This thread makes my head hurt.
fletchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #47
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hionjgb View Post
I guess the computer Rev Limiter was Turned Off?
Rev limiters cannot prevent you jamming the car into the wrong gear. That's what a "mechanical" overrev is. They cannot in any way protect against a bad downshift. They only prevent you from overspinning the motor when comfortably in that gear and accelerating.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #48
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Relax guys braking wouldnt have helped, SS only started getting brembo brakes 2014MY nothing else he could done with cappy v6 brakes.
Bullshit. SS has had the same brakes since 2010. All are Brembos. And all would have done a better job than downshifting the car.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #49
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Rev limiters cannot prevent you jamming the car into the wrong gear. That's what a "mechanical" overrev is. They cannot in any way protect against a bad downshift. They only prevent you from overspinning the motor when comfortably in that gear and accelerating.
No, but as you said, the brake pedal can.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #50
RaiderGT

Drives: 2014 Summit White LS
Some people are missing the clearly sarcastic and hilarious jokes^^^^^ Also story makes no sense at any point.
RaiderGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #51
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
So much wrong/fail here.
Changing cams does not change your redline point one bit. Only gear changes can do that.
Your engine blew 4 months later and you are blaming this incident? Not likely. Ima say this resulted from an accumulation of bad driving habits Catastrophic failures happen at the time of the event.
You seem to think your elite driving skillz saved they day. Not.
Had to downshift, no. Rear disk brakes are standard in the Camaro now.
Tried third didn't work, so you crammed it in fourth which is directly below third and hit second? WTF?
Then, you tach this thing to the moon and fishtail all over for 2 seconds without thinking to push in the clutch or change gears? And manage to pass the van before you shift? Not possible, if as you say you had a mechanical overrev, applying power would do nothing, the rev limiter would kick in.
As another poster stated, going into second at 80 mph would result in an over rev to maybe 6500.
I agree with almost everything you said, but if you change cams (and heads, exhaust, and intakes fall into this category as well) to one that makes power through a different range, you can drastically change the redline. Keep in mind, redline is not the spot where the engine gets in trouble, its the spot where it engine power begins to fall off. Different gears may get you to redline faster, but really will not change the redline.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #52
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Sorry about your mishap. You reacted how you did and you can't change that. I'm glad you and your wife are OK. When ever you pass a vehicle on a highway or rural road we just never know what can happen. I'm sure you will slow down a bit, I know I will. Laying on the brakes probably would have worked better but we will never know.

Oh and the guy that said we don't have Brembos on 2010 SSs, mine came with them and it was not an upgrade.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #53
texsean

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
Sorry about your mishap. You reacted how you did and you can't change that. I'm glad you and your wife are OK. When ever you pass a vehicle on a highway or rural road we just never know what can happen. I'm sure you will slow down a bit, I know I will. Laying on the brakes probably would have worked better but we will never know.

Oh and the guy that said we don't have Brembos on 2010 SSs, mine came with them and it was not an upgrade.
Mine too. Best brakes evah... ok dang good anyway. Saved my but a few times. What saved me more was power..

Sitting a a red light a few months ago and wife turns down the radio to ask me a q.. I hear that distinct but faint screach Sound and look up in RVM and see headlights closing fast as the screaching gets louder.. quick hole shot through empty intersection and saw that car sliding into intersection. Inches from me as I Rev to 6k... wife screaming wth ... no time to explain.. only time to barely judge what to do and if it was safe to gun through a red light. And this is why I will never drive anything slow. This ss saved our asses.
texsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #54
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I agree with almost everything you said, but if you change cams (and heads, exhaust, and intakes fall into this category as well) to one that makes power through a different range, you can drastically change the redline. Keep in mind, redline is not the spot where the engine gets in trouble, its the spot where it engine power begins to fall off. Different gears may get you to redline faster, but really will not change the redline.
Really? That's not what I've been taught. And according to Wiki..

Redline refers to the maximum engine speed at which an internal combustion engine or traction motor and its components are designed to operate without causing damage to the components themselves or other parts of the engine.[1] The redline of an engine depends on various factors such as stroke, mass of the components, displacement, composition of components, and balance of components.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #55
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLS View Post
This thread is filled with just nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchf View Post
This thread makes my head hurt.
Dude there is no way that you bent a pushrod, then drove it around clueless for four months till it finally let go.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #56
texsean

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Really? That's not what I've been taught. And according to Wiki..

Redline refers to the maximum engine speed at which an internal combustion engine or traction motor and its components are designed to operate without causing damage to the components themselves or other parts of the engine.[1] The redline of an engine depends on various factors such as stroke, mass of the components, displacement, composition of components, and balance of components.

I know I'm derailing this discussion a bit but my car doesn't seem to have any Rev limiter.. I can accelerate to 7500 or so I know his because I recorded my 0-60s and 1-8 etc.. I start shift somewhere when I hit 5500 to 2nd and keep WOT and fast as I can I shift and push clutch in and out but in that delay I hit 7400 when I engage 2nd. Does that mean I might have a tune from previous owner? Where does the Rev limiter start on he m6?
texsean is offline   Reply With Quote