The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 02-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Kinney

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2L
Winter Maintenance

Question for the group.

Here in NE, we are buried in snow.
I have my C7 hooked up in the garage to the trickle battery charger.
But, before the six feet of snow I drove it once a week for 45 minutes or so. Can't do that now due to road conditions.

Any harm/benefit to having the car idle in the driveway for 10-15 minutes once each week? Otherwise I may not have it back on the road for at least a month or more. Benefit might be getting the fluids moving, but a harm might be creating moisture and not getting it hot enough to burn off? Thoughts?

Thanks.
Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
RottenII

Drives: 2014 C7 1LT Z51
I've always been told not to run it once its put away unless you are going to take it out and drive it awhile. All the moisture and condensation never gets a chance to burn off before you shut it back down just in the 10-15 minute time frame. I put additive in the tank, plugged the trickle charger in and covered it. Been that way since November 11th. Spring can't come fast enough.
RottenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
itchiesvette

Drives: 2014 Jeep GC, 2012 Challenger SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinney View Post
Question for the group.

But, before the six feet of snow I drove it once a week for 45 minutes or so. Can't do that now due to road conditions.

Any harm/benefit to having the car idle in the driveway for 10-15 minutes once each week? Otherwise I may not have it back on the road for at least a month or more. Benefit might be getting the fluids moving, but a harm might be creating moisture and not getting it hot enough to burn off? Thoughts?

Thanks.
Dont start it at all until you are ready to put it back on the road. 10-15 idle does more harm than good.
itchiesvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
I couldnt live like that.......took mine out all week its been in the 60-70 degree range......we haven't had snow this year and I'm glad! Don't like working in it and hate the sandblasting to my C7 for the next week or so......Ill think about you this weekend guys!
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #5
RottenII

Drives: 2014 C7 1LT Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by asptroopa1 View Post
I couldnt live like that.......took mine out all week its been in the 60-70 degree range......we haven't had snow this year and I'm glad! Don't like working in it and hate the sandblasting to my C7 for the next week or so......Ill think about you this weekend guys!
We have not seen grass here since Jan 5th. Calling for windchills of -15 to -20f tomorrow morning.
RottenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
dhh62fuelie

Drives: 2012 Audi A5 2.0T Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenII View Post
I've always been told not to run it once its put away unless you are going to take it out and drive it awhile. All the moisture and condensation never gets a chance to burn off before you shut it back down just in the 10-15 minute time frame. I put additive in the tank, plugged the trickle charger in and covered it. Been that way since November 11th. Spring can't come fast enough.
I do the exact same thing with my A5 Cab: additive to the gas, trickle charger, and cover it up. I've been doing this for 4 years now From November to April without a problem.
dhh62fuelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinney View Post
Question for the group.

Thanks.
http://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378206

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
Flytrade

Drives: 2015 C7
I am certainly no expert, but here are my thoughts on the issue.
When we store boats for an extended period of time, we fog the engine by removing the spark plugs, etc. From the original post it appears this has not be accomplished. Therefore, the engine is not fully protected for an extended period of storage.
I think it would be a good idea to periodically start the engine - providing - the temperature of the entire system was brought up to normal limits. In this case the engine would not know if it's January or July, nor would it care.
This may be a good way to spread/renew the lubricants and expel unwanted moisture, etc.
Flytrade is offline   Reply With Quote