Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 AM   #15
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
I was contacted by BBK yesterday ( Wednesday 3/24 ) and we discussed my concerns. Apparently another person had the same issue I had. BBK is adjusting their jigs to correct the problem and updating the instructions. They will be sending me 12 point nuts to try and fix my problem, however, after sleeping on our conversation I am going to call them today and request a new, proper fitting set of headers. I hate the idea of going through disassembly / reassembly a 2nd time but I am quickly growing tired of paying for something that isn't right. Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #16
michael's maro
RAM'S CAMARO

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 2015 Z-28
Another great write-up, I alway's enjoy reading your posts.
See you in a couple of weeks...
P.S you still owe me that drink your knocked over...LOL
Old 03-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #17
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
I was contacted by BBK yesterday ( Wednesday 3/24 ) and we discussed my concerns. Apparently another person had the same issue I had. BBK is adjusting their jigs to correct the problem and updating the instructions. They will be sending me 12 point nuts to try and fix my problem, however, after sleeping on our conversation I am going to call them today and request a new, proper fitting set of headers. I hate the idea of going through disassembly / reassembly a 2nd time but I am quickly growing tired of paying for something that isn't right. Ed M.
Are you planning on dynoing?

I am thinking hard on shorty's, but havent seen a dyno sheet yet.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #18
flht99b

I've been working with a gentleman at BBK and we have come to an agreement that satisfies me, if that doesn't work out then they have agreed to replace the headers. I am very pleased and impressed with BBK's willingness to ensure my 100% satisfaction. BBK was and still is my choice because they are the only vendor to offer T304 stainless shorty headers which is what I wanted and purchased. They are guilty of an all to often made mistake which is assuming production pieces would 100% mirror the prototypes which is rarely the case. In BBK's defense they are willing to do whatever it takes to make me happy. Power wise, honestly all companies shorty headers will show relatively small percent increases ( compared to LT's ) especially with a factory tune. The dyno sheet BBK sent me showed approximately 14hp peak gain with much of the gains in the mid to higher rpm range which matches my butt dyno. I have no plans to dyno or tune the car unless a vendor wants to dyno it for free. I could care less about numbers, how it drives and pulls is what I'm interested in. The cork in the exhaust system is the stock cats, past the cats the stock system is as good as anything out there. I'm sure there will be those that disagree but it is the truth with a stock LS3 engine and stock factory tune which 95% of the cars out there are. Mufflers, a CAI and or shorty headers doesn't make a " race car". A tune on my car is out, I prefer to keep my 5 year power train warranty. Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the headers before I installed them. My car will be at the Camaro5Fest and I'm staying at the host hotel if you want to take a look. Ed.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #19
flht99b

Michael, I haven't forgotten the drink, I'm certain we'll have more than 1 at the fest. My son and I will be arriving at the host hotel Friday. See ya in Atlanta. Ed.

Last edited by flht99b; 03-26-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #20
flht99b

Attached is a dyno sheet on the BBK shortys on a bone stock LS3 Camaro supplied to me by BBK. This is NOT a dyno graph of my car.
Ed.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BBK_Header_Dyno.pdf (126.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
TheStigsFatAmericanCousin
Bloody Pikey

Drives: Camaro
Location: Some say, that I'm a CIA experiment that's gone wrong, and that I only eat cheese...
Quote:
Quote:
I've been working with a gentleman at BBK and we have come to an agreement that satisfies me, if that doesn't work out then they have agreed to replace the headers. I am very pleased and impressed with BBK's willingness to ensure my 100% satisfaction. BBK was and still is my choice because they are the only vendor to offer T304 stainless shorty headers which is what I wanted and purchased. They are guilty of an all to often made mistake which is assuming production pieces would 100% mirror the prototypes which is rarely the case. In BBK's defense they are willing to do whatever it takes to make me happy. Power wise, honestly all companies shorty headers will show relatively small percent increases ( compared to LT's ) especially with a factory tune. The dyno sheet BBK sent me showed approximately 14hp peak gain with much of the gains in the mid to higher rpm range which matches my butt dyno. I have no plans to dyno or tune the car unless a vendor wants to dyno it for free. I could care less about numbers, how it drives and pulls is what I'm interested in. The cork in the exhaust system is the stock cats, past the cats the stock system is as good as anything out there. I'm sure there will be those that disagree but it is the truth with a stock LS3 engine and stock factory tune which 95% of the cars out there are. Mufflers, a CAI and or shorty headers doesn't make a " race car". A tune on my car is out, I prefer to keep my 5 year power train warranty. Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the headers before I installed them. My car will be at the Camaro5Fest and I'm staying at the host hotel if you want to take a look. Ed.
I hope that it works out that you don't have to replace them. I can't say that I wouldn't feel differently about wanting a product that was right, but for all the trouble (albeit - probably less than the effort to replace LTs) it would be to replace them, for bolts that don't line up correctly (if that's all it is) it probably wouldn't be worth it unless they effected the rest of the exhaust or something else. It is GREAT to hear they are listening to you and working with you.

Thanks for the great review.