Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-25-2023, 05:03 AM   #1
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
The Long Sordid Story

I was put to task by a Reddit user recently, as to why I would buy/own two SS/RS Camaros. My response:

I totally understand the question but the reality is that the black car is very different from the white car. And not just because it's a vert. There's a bit of a story about my acquiring it. I'll try to keep it short.

I was in ICU at the hospital last year all drugged up, hoses, wires and tubes everywhere. In my addled state of mind, I found the black car for sale in another state while searching on my phone. The dealership didn't know what they had and neither did I. (More on this in a minute.) I just saw a cool, 6 speed manual car that I wanted. My white car is a daily driver and is an automatic.

While laying in the hospital, here I was taking pics of my insurance card, driver's license, and e-signing docs, and sending them $5000 for a down payment. The nurses started calling me "Hot Rod". Also while laying there, I arranged to fly my daughter to that state, pick up the car and drive it back to my home.

It's a 2015 Commemorative Edition SS/RS convertible 6-speed. Of the 353 Comm Ed convertibles made in the SS trim, there are only 5 documented 6 speed manual cars. Three here in the US and two in Canada. And of those 5, only 2 are documented to have the factory badged, short throw shifter. Mine is one of them.

The fun icing on the cake is that here in a few weeks, The local ABC network (Las Vegas) is coming to do a story on the car. They have a reporter that does a weekly car spot that focuses on the cool and the rare rides in the area.

Because the dealership didn't know what they had, I bought the car for $28K with 55K miles on the odometer. The previous owner bought it new. He kept it in an airport garage and used it to drive around the Pacific Northwest visiting his 25 Taco Bell franchises.

Now you know!

I didn't tell him that I was invited by Barrett-Jackson to list the car this year for the Las Vegas auction...grin...
Old 03-25-2023, 10:40 AM   #2
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Awesome and cool story Daniel!! And the rest is history. Thanks for sharing with us all.. Enjoy them Camaros!! I know you do. lol
Old 03-25-2023, 10:44 AM   #3
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Really, a hardtop automatic as a daily driver and a manual drop top for fun is plenty of justification for owning two!
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:49 AM   #4
13hotwheels

Drives: 2010 Hennessey HPE550 #19
Really nobody's business but your own. Put to task = jealous they have made different decisions in life. Haters be haters - screw em not worth any time.
2010 Hennessey HPE550 #19
13hotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 11:22 AM   #5
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Awesome and cool story Daniel!! And the rest is history. Thanks for sharing with us all.. Enjoy them Camaros!! I know you do. lol
Absolutely! I think one of the drawbacks of my personality is that I love my hobbies, (especially my car hobby) and by golly, I'm going to make sure everyone else knows that..hahaha
Old 03-25-2023, 11:23 AM   #6
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
Really, a hardtop automatic as a daily driver and a manual drop top for fun is plenty of justification for owning two!
Agreed!
Old 03-25-2023, 11:25 AM   #7
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13hotwheels View Post
Really nobody's business but your own. Put to task = jealous they have made different decisions in life. Haters be haters - screw em not worth any time.
You are right about that. Under most circumstances I would have shined him on but it was part of a broader discussion so I went ahead and obliged the gentleman.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:05 PM   #8
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Lol you are more patient with stupid people than I am, I would have said because this isn’t Soviet Russia, or chicom China, it’s the mother effin United States of America and if I want two I’ll have two, if I want ten I’ll have ten! I’m going to have a second fifth Gen 1LE in the next year or two, and I don’t care if people don’t understand-I won’t run into that problem here lol.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:38 PM   #9
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Lol you are more patient with stupid people than I am, I would have said because this isn’t Soviet Russia, or chicom China, it’s the mother effin United States of America and if I want two I’ll have two, if I want ten I’ll have ten! I’m going to have a second fifth Gen 1LE in the next year or two, and I don’t care if people don’t understand-I won’t run into that problem here lol.
YES! haha! Love it! I still can't believe I passed up a silver 1LE just after covid hit, for $19K. And it was a 6 speed too. I didn't know until the next day, that it was a 1LE car. My granddaughter and I went and looked at the car, test drove it and then told the saleswoman I'd think about it. The next day it was sold.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:56 PM   #10
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Great story! (except for you being in the hospital) Sometime these things fall in your lap for no particular reason. Chances are if you were specifically looking for that particular car/trim I bet you either wouldn't have found it or the deal would have hit a snag etc.

As for owning 2, well good for you! I had a chance on a sweet roller last summer for 9k that would have been perfect for my motor. All set up for the strip with no motor or trans with all the right parts. full cage, fabricated rear, Wilwood brakes, GForce axles & more. Just wasn't meant to be. If I saw it now I would be on the road with a trailer.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:31 PM   #11
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Great story! (except for you being in the hospital) Sometime these things fall in your lap for no particular reason. Chances are if you were specifically looking for that particular car/trim I bet you either wouldn't have found it or the deal would have hit a snag etc.

As for owning 2, well good for you! I had a chance on a sweet roller last summer for 9k that would have been perfect for my motor. All set up for the strip with no motor or trans with all the right parts. full cage, fabricated rear, Wilwood brakes, GForce axles & more. Just wasn't meant to be. If I saw it now I would be on the road with a trailer.
Right??

During that same time frame, I also passed up a sweet C6 Corvette Z06 for an incredible price. They didn't want to give me enough on my trade in so I passed. That car is selling for almost twice now, than what their asking price was then.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:47 PM   #12
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
I have a old Subaru and vist Taco Bells once in while....hmmm could be I'm driving someones dream car.....
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:53 PM   #13
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
I have a old Subaru and vist Taco Bells once in while....hmmm could be I'm driving someones dream car.....
Could be! And you could double its value with what you find under the seats!
Old 03-26-2023, 01:43 AM   #14
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
sounds like someone was jealous.i have a few more guitars than i really need and some are really nice,but that doesnt make me a bad person.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote