Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-26-2023, 01:40 AM   #15
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
the transportation company i work for currently has over 200 semi cabs that are hydrogen powered on the road with no real problems.however i think you will find some pretty big government officials have invested in EVs and dont want to lose money.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:15 AM   #16
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
the transportation company i work for currently has over 200 semi cabs that are hydrogen powered on the road with no real problems.however i think you will find some pretty big government officials have invested in EVs and dont want to lose money.
Yea unfortunately there’s a lot of truth to that I believe.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:35 AM   #17
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Yea unfortunately there’s a lot of truth to that I believe.
Yeah, they don't go in making a couple hundred thousand a year and become multi-millionaires in their first or second term without some help. Bastards.
Old 03-26-2023, 02:20 PM   #18
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
The cost will come in the handling and containment of it. Hydrogen doesn't actually exist in a free state except in trace amounts in the earth's crust, the atmosphere and sun - it has to be extracted from something like water and compressed to be useable. There will be costs involved in the delivery to consumers.
It comes right out of your water
tap. H2O is everywhere and the exhaust gases from burning it is more H2O. Extracting it from water is rediculesly easy any one could do it. But unless someone like Musk takes the reins and gets it moving in passenger car it aint never gonna happen because it so cheap to extract from water its stupid. They were talking hydro powered cars 50 years ago but big oil killed it. Now the gov will kill it because the huge bucks aren't there like WASTEFUL EV's <the most toxic vechciles ever dreamt up!

ps any know why spell check insn't working for me on this site anymore? TY
PaulsSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:59 PM   #19
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
tap. H2O is everywhere and the exhaust gases from burning it is more H2O. Extracting it from water is rediculesly easy any one could do it. But unless someone like Musk takes the reins and gets it moving in passenger car it aint never gonna happen because it so cheap to extract from water its stupid. They were talking hydro powered cars 50 years ago but big oil killed it. Now the gov will kill it because the huge bucks aren't there like WASTEFUL EV's <the most toxic vechciles ever dreamt up!

If you read the article I linked above, it's pretty comprehensive about the entire process. Hydrogen requires some pretty special handling. It's doable of course, California has 60 such stations in operation, (again in the article) but there is an involved process. And those processes aren't free, the infrastructure isn't free. And the people required to maintain that infrastructure don't come free either.

But I do agree with you about EVs. The people were sold a bill of goods with all that nonsense.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:30 PM   #20
covd59

Drives: BMW
For sure 100%
covd59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:31 PM   #21
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post

Extracting it *is* easy. It also requires energy to split the molecules, and you don't get more energy out of it than you put into it. Hydrogen capture is not like gasoline refining in which you get more energy than you put into it.

Hydrogen cars are still EVs, just with an extra step and using hydrogen for energy storage. Big oil didn't kill the hydrogen car, simple economics did. There is zero incentive to build out the infrastructure and its not cost competitive.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:30 PM   #22
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Read the article I posted. They are burning it in a gaseous form thru a supercharged LS3… it’s not being used as a storage device…
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:11 PM   #23
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
I'm talking about burning hydrogen not a EV.
PaulsSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:21 PM   #24
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
I think alternate fuels are way beyond reality before any of us have to worry about them.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:33 PM   #25
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
I think alternate fuels are way beyond reality before any of us have to worry about them.
Got that right!!!!
Old 03-29-2023, 05:11 AM   #26
DavidH

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I cringe everytime I see someone mention horse and buggy. I've owned horses. Vehicles are much cheaper and cleaner lol.

I remember years ago Honda had the Clarity model that was hydrogen powered. Why it never became a thing is beyond me. Other than the usual oil franchises couldn't afford to lose money and so many officials are pushing EVs.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote