The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #29
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrocJack View Post
I would find a greased pole and sit on the top
Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #30
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
You didn't see the intro of Zombieland?
boobie tassels
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #31
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
Old 12-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #32
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Cardio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Vehicle: 6.2 Detroit CUCV/Suburban converted to straight veggie (familiarity of engine/components), rear cleared out for a mobile home. Lifted for enhanced departure, entry angles off road, full skidplate with quick release for quick repairs. Snorkle setup for fording water. 24V setup re-enabled to power equipment, Ham radios, small stoves.

I like it... but I would go with the 6.5 TD (also, you didn't mention 4WD, but I figured you would want it) along with mesh wire welded to the windows for extra protection, full flood lights, a winch, potentially an exo-cage as well for extra reinforcement. Roof rack along with Jerry cans with extra fuel stored in them.

Weapons: Crossbow, Long/Compound bow, Rem .22LR as a weapon of last resort, ammo common and cheap. Utility knives for skinning and close in self defense

Ur gonna want something more than a 22 for firearms. it takes too long to reload a bow to deal with multiple targets. Also, keep in mind that with the decomposing flesh, your arrows could easily pass right thru the zombies and not do any damage whatsoever. meaning you have to have one hell of a head shot on each and every firing. if you dont hit the medulla oblongata, time to reload, cus you are only going to slow them down. (aim between the eyes and the mouth)

Fortifications: Whatever I can find/secure in a hurry. Mobility favored over staying put.
this. unless you are very, very fortified
How close: Not very, but things can be quickly assembled/acquired in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Ooook... let's see... I have an old beater farm truck and 60 acres in the middle of nowhere, with 2 wells for drinking water and caves back in the mountaints (I'm serious; we refer to this as our hidey hole but I live in the house on the property). Of course should I need to escape we have the Camaro!

We have a stock of canned food and stuff there, as well as several ammo boxes overflowing with ammunition for the combined arsenal of my family, which includes shotguns, rifles, a few machine guns and a lot of handguns. ( M-14, AK-47, AR-15, 9mm pistols, 12, 10 and 20 gauge shotguns to name a new) The way our property is set up, it's surrounded on two sides by water and runs up to the top of a mountain so it's possible to fortify it pretty well, but it's so isolated I don't see it being an issue. My dad is pretty serious about thinking we may all have to be out there someday when "it all goes to $h!t". We can live off the land, as there are cattle and a garden there.
sounds like you've got a good handle on things.

Quote:
What are you going to take down with a .22LR? A hoarde of paper targets?
actually, a .22 can be effective at taking down human sized targets as well due to the .22's fracturing ability. most times when it hits a body, it splits into numerous pieces which then can travel and bounce around causing damage

Quote:
Small game primarily, again why I said it wouldn't be used unless a last resort. Report from the gun would attract unwanted attention in any case, even if silenced. I'd rather use the cross bow and what chunks of rebar I can find for the bigger targets.
but you are looking at taking on a few targets at a time. what do you do with multiple, fast moving targets? (or potentially even other humans scrounging for resources?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I'm already on Nellis AFB, so i'd stay here.
not bad, military installations will most likely be locked down during a worldwide emergency
Got a good supply of guns/ammo.
maybe so... but how easy is it for you to get to those weapons and ammo?

need to find my way to the Gates to close them.
yes, but you also need to make sure you have an easy means of escape if needed

Kill off all zombies currently on the base.
that may prove harder than you think. think about where you could be when the outbreak occurs. you could be sitting in the commissary or at work when you turn around and there are people eating each other (effectively strengthening their ranks)

Have a Commissary (grocery store) that i can live off of the canned goods for a while.
what happens then?

Quote:
Would an AFB be a good place? Isn't it targeted first?
during a nuclear assault, yes, most military installations would be targeted first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain505 View Post
Ok well me and a couple of friends have thought about this. I plan on going to ron peterson gun shop. About 10 min from my house. From there i plan on going to costco, to stock up on food, and supplies needed to live day to day. In front of costco there is a sportsmans warehouse and we would go there to stock up on ammo, hunting supplies, camping supplies. And we would then make it to somewhere in the desert. Im thinkin that is where the least amount of zombies would be and while we are there we would plan on where to go next. I would get my dads dodge ram 3500 dually and keep that until i found somethin more suitable that runs on gas instead of diesel. I would carry a handgun. Springfield xdm 9mm, it holds 19+1. You dont need a .45 to take down a zombie, and 9mm ammo is less scarce than .45. A shotgun, mossberg 500 persuader slung on my back. And an ar15 as my main weapon. With a suppressor so that if i do shot a zombie it isnt heard by the whole city. A machete or like a hunting knife about 12" long on my hip. A camelback for me and everyone in my group. Some dickies for their durability, combat boots, a long sleeve shirt, battery operated walkies so that if we ever have to split up we can keep tabs on each other, cant afford to lose anyone if i would want to survive. I think the biggest hurdle i would have to cross is, if anyone i hold close to my heart got bit or anything like that, because i would hate to have to kill them so they dont live the rest of their life as a zombie, but it would have to be done. Especially if it was my mother or my soon to be fiance :( one thing i would not like to have is a crossbow due to having to go get the arrows you shot. And if you do shot a zombie, and then you hunt with the same arrows, you basically poisoned your game wit zombie blood. I would also take my camera that has all my fams and gf's pics to remember them if i ever lose them :( i am about 10% done with the plan. Tryong to save up for the guns and stuff, i want to buy them now to practice with them and be prepared for the zombies.
EDIT: right now i am going to school for auto tech. I think that would be a good career, 1. Bcuz i love anythin to do with cars and 2. If i need to hotwire a car, fix it in a hurry, anythin at all. I would be able to modiy it on the fly if the need were to rise.
Sent from my DROID3
Just remember, you may be on your own for a while.

Quote:
Nice. However gas will, at some point, be gone. If you find a simple diesel vehicle, you can dump damn near anything after properly setting the engine up, into the tank and fuel the vehicle. And as a last resort you could also make your own fuel using grains, sugars, etc.
12 valve cummins would do it.

Crossbows/Bows are actually pretty good weapons due to the ability of making more ammo on the fly (no need to make powder, have a press, smelting furnace). Save the heavy stuff to put Zombies down, light weight simple arrows/bolts for game or (like I have) a small 22LR rifle to take down small game.

Namely, use Rebar in a crossbow and not only is it easy to find, but 9/10 you won't use it on edible food stuffs anyway due to tetanus.
not a bad idea with rebar, but have you ever shot rebar with a cross bow or a long/compound bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
I'll write up my plan later, don't have enough time at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
well, that's 2 totally different scenarios. and no, i wouldn't think Nellis AFB would be one of the first places a nuclear attack would be. more than likely DC, NY, and/or LA. Coastal areas.
I won't go into why Nellis would be a good place to attack because we don't need to be passing that info out to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain505 View Post
Didnt think about that. What i could do is put someone in my group in charge of huntin and they would have the crossbow and to not take it out unless we are huntin, that way if we do use it, we know for sure that the arrows are not tainted. Yeah i didnt think about that, i would try to learn somethin now about diesel engines so that, like you said, i can put damn near anythin in there to make it run. One place i would think of going is, im in new mexico. Not that much as far as population goes, so i would try to make it out to a small town, get rid of all the zombies and then make it home. Plant a garden for fruits and veggies. Secure a perimiter and whatnot. Has anyone seen "dawn of the dead" do you think tryin to make it to an island would be a good idea?

Sent from my DROID3
Again. you may not have anyone in your group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrocJack View Post
I would find a greased pole and sit on the top, as you can see zombies can not climb them.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #33
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

what happens then?
well that happens in all situations. you run out of food, you have to move on to another location. As to how hard is it to get to the weapons and ammo? for me, not too hard. lol

find a helicopter, learn to fly it
Old 12-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #34
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Spike, with the truck mods I was assuming that'd be a given. The Exo cage though would allow them something to grab onto, so a full cage inside would be much better IMO. As for the 6.5, I was under the assumption that it couldn't run on anything less than offroad high sulfur? Something to do with the injection system.

My primary concern is ammunition availabilty.

As far as Rebar bolts go, I'd fire them from the crossbow only because of the draw strength required. However as I further think about it; I could get away with broadheads for small groups (rebar being too massive in some cases). That or a barge/gaffing pole (allows me to keep distance and attack from two directions.) Problem comes in hordes or raider parties.

Answer: Brush cutter/Hedge cutter attachment on the front bumper. Up armor the radiator housing with say, some tin siding, attach brush guard with low slung serrated spikes.

With enough torque, smash my way through brush and create paths if roads are blocked, also use them to plow through masses of people/zombie hordes. Find a rancid water source, ford it, clean truck. Whatever's left hanging on get the barge/gaffing pole.

Pole could also be used to pull down fencing and collapsed barracades to get at potential supplies as well.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #35
ubrimah
Oreo

Drives: Summit White LT/RS A6
Quote:
Ooook... let's see... I have an old beater farm truck and 60 acres in the middle of nowhere,
60 acres? sounds like a motor sport course fro our next club meeting!:s m0:

ubrimah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #36
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Find Milla Jovovich and stay close.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #37
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Ok...

Cardio is obviously number 1 on the list.

but keep in mind that in the event of the apocalypse, you most likely will not be running on flat ground. prepare by doing runs thru the woods and on uneven terrain.

For supplies (I already have an emergency prep box ready to roll):
  • Water—one gallon per person, per day (3*day supply for evacuation, 2*week supply for home)
  • Food—non*perishable, easy*to*prepare items (3*day supply for evacuation, 2*week supply for home)
  • Flashlight
  • Battery*powered or hand*crank radio/flashlight (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
  • Extra batteries
  • First aid kit
  • Medications (minimum 7*day supply) and medical items
  • Multi*purpose tool
  • Sanitation and personal hygiene items
  • Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies) (never know)
  • Extra cash (never know)
  • extra clothing (always carry extra socks with you)
  • Emergency blanket
  • Map(s) of the area (a road atlas is always helpful)
  • Two*-way radios
  • Manual can opener
  • N95 or surgical masks
  • Matches
  • Rain gear
  • Towels
  • Work gloves
  • Tools/supplies for securing your home
  • Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
  • Plastic sheeting
  • Duct tape
  • Scissors
  • Household liquid bleach
  • Entertainment items (magazines, books, (no video games!)
  • Blankets or sleeping bags
  • fishing pole
  • road flares
for vehicles...

I'd love to have this thing

and, in all actuality, if I could make it down to charleston, I could find quite a few armored vehicles to utilize. altho there is a national guard station here near me that I could access humvee's and some military pickups

but currently, I've got 2 main options. 1 is my crew cab silverado. 2 is the Yukon XL

My fuel cans in the garage are always full. Tools are in the boxes when they aren't being used. I have boxes of MRE's in the garage as well as large jugs of water.

a 5 minute stop at the house is all I need to be able to leave and run in a hurry. but ideally, if I had 30 min to an hour (max) I could load the whole truck and be ready to rock and roll fully loaded and supplied.

Weapons and gear:

2 machete's (one with a sideways hip sheath the other with an over the shoulder and/or thigh sheath)
2 mossberg 500 12 gauge shotguns with collapsable stock (and plenty of ammo, birdshot and slug)
1 remington 20 gauge shotgun (and plenty of ammo, birdshot and slug)
2 Jericho 941 pistols (with plenty of .41 and 9mm ammo)
1 Mosin Nagant for long range
misc knives, axes, hatchets, hammers, shovels, etc. if I can throw it in the truck, its coming with me.
Tactical SWAT vest with ammo pouches and other holders. along with ammo slings for shotgun ammo

basically, my response kit looks like this:

if I have time to get "ready", when I walked out of the house, I'd look like a fully armed mercenary ready to rock as I'd change to full military garb.
but, most likely, I'll have to make due on short notice... (which is why I carry a change of clothes and some "other" things in the truck everywhere I go)

Planning on rendezvousing at my in-law's house out in the country. Wrought iron gates surrounding the whole perimeter on the front and sides with a river in the back with barbed wire fence lining it. My father in law has pretty much the same "bug-out kit" as I do and he's a doctor, so he will definately be coming along if possible.

I've got about 16 different ways to get to their house from just about anywhere that I have practiced taking numerous times and with swinging by the house to load up random amounts of supplies in varying orders to maximize efficiency and capability if I need to leave in a hurry. I've reorganized things into multiple bug out kits that all have "some of everything" just in case.

Big key thing here is to stay off the main roads whenever possible. If for some reason we have to bug out from there, we'd most likely load up whatever we could and make our way towards the coast avoiding the major interstates if at all possible. Once we arrived in Charleston, we'd rendezvous with some other friends of mine (supposing they survived) and work our way towards the air base for supplies and additional armament. And then we'd pick up this bad boy...

Again, if I have time to get "ready", when I walked out of the house, I'd look like a fully armed mercenary ready to rock as I'd change to full military garb.
but, most likely, I'll have to make due on short notice... (which is why I carry a change of clothes and some "other" things in the truck everywhere I go)

tips I can pass on to everyone
Organize and practice bugging out randomly so it comes naturally when the time comes
Use your fear
Use your head, cut off theirs
Blades don't need reloading
Think "Fight club": hair short, nails trimmed, clothes tight
Keep moving
No place is safe, only safer
Travel light and efficiently, the more you carry, the faster you will tire
He who fights and runs away will live to fight another day

Protection/armor:
I'm "this" close to buying a couple of these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SHBBR8?...ve-clothing%2F

and this is for everyone. never hurts to be prepared.
http://www.redcross.org/images/pdfs/...ness/A5055.pdf
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #38
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Also, if firearms are going to be in your arsenal, remember to bring with you a decent amount of gun cleaning supplies.

The last thing you want is a dirty gun

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #39
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Spike, with the truck mods I was assuming that'd be a given. The Exo cage though would allow them something to grab onto, so a full cage inside would be much better IMO. As for the 6.5, I was under the assumption that it couldn't run on anything less than offroad high sulfur? Something to do with the injection system.

the later year 6.5's had that issue. but even so, all you need is a 7 micron filter and vegetable oil and you are good to go. just remember, in winter time, older diesels and bio fuels have gel issues.

the exo cage could allow them to grab hold, but ideally, that should only happen if you are standing still. I dont think a zombie will have the capability to grab (let alone hold onto) a moving vehicle, cage or not. now, post-nuclear era humans? probably.

and a full cage inside can restrict space availability. and the exo cage will do more to protect the vehicle in the event you have to ram something or grind the side of the vehicle.

Just imagine trying to escape a group of zombies and you swing down a narrow pass and bang the side of the vehicle. now your drivers side doors wont open... now you've got an extra hassle/delay egressing the vehicle

My primary concern is ammunition availabilty.

As far as Rebar bolts go, I'd fire them from the crossbow only because of the draw strength required. However as I further think about it; I could get away with broadheads for small groups (rebar being too massive in some cases). That or a barge/gaffing pole (allows me to keep distance and attack from two directions.) Problem comes in hordes or raider parties.
go fire some rebar...

Answer: Brush cutter/Hedge cutter attachment on the front bumper. Up armor the radiator housing with say, some tin siding, attach brush guard with low slung serrated spikes.

... you can find sheet aluminum that is thicker than tin siding that will provide a little more strength than that. or even sheet steel.

With enough torque, smash my way through brush and create paths if roads are blocked, also use them to plow through masses of people/zombie hordes. Find a rancid water source, ford it, clean truck. Whatever's left hanging on get the barge/gaffing pole.

Pole could also be used to pull down fencing and collapsed barracades to get at potential supplies as well.
you'll need more than a brush guard if you are going to smash thru different things. ever see a car after it hits a deer? bodies have a strange way of destroying cars. last thing you want is for your vehicle to break down because the engine bay is packed full of body parts

I like the gaffing pole idea tho

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #40
jandaseve

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 1SS/RS Hurst
I've got 9 handguns, 10 rifles, 2 shotguns including a Saiga with 20 round drums; lots of ammo. A collection of about 70 combat knives and machetes, and a couple swords. A pantry full of non perishable food and usually at least 2 cases of water on hand. We have a 30' travel trailer, so would probably have to load it up and head for a more secluded, less populated area. Might mean I would have to leave the camaro. Or I could make the wife drive the truck/trailer and I run "bandit" for her, lol. hmmmm... maybe I need CBs??? Already have stuff like first aid, lanterns, flashlights, etc. in the trailer.
jandaseve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #41
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandaseve View Post
I've got 9 handguns, 10 rifles, 2 shotguns including a Saiga with 20 round drums; lots of ammo. A collection of about 70 combat knives and machetes, and a couple swords. A pantry full of non perishable food and usually at least 2 cases of water on hand. We have a 30' travel trailer, so would probably have to load it up and head for a more secluded, less populated area. Might mean I would have to leave the camaro. Or I could make the wife drive the truck/trailer and I run "bandit" for her, lol. hmmmm... maybe I need CBs??? Already have stuff like first aid, lanterns, flashlights, etc. in the trailer.

CB's and ham radios are a must. lol

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #42
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
glad i have been playing dead island to get some idea's just in case lol

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote