Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-18-2022, 03:01 PM   #1
Mark0Maro

Drives: Camaro
My Camaro has been sitting for 5 months

My 18 2SS Camaro with only 6k miles has been sitting for 5 months without even starting. Forgot to put a trickle charger on it. I bought a new battery. I’m gonna change it ASAP. Is there anything else I need to do before I start it? And it’s garage kept.
Mark0Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:26 PM   #2
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
An oil change probably wouldn't hurt...
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:29 PM   #3
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
It will start fine. Gas will be kinda crappy in it. If it was parked with not much gas in it, id suggest atleast putting 5 gals of new gas in and drive it around alittle.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:29 PM   #4
Mark0Maro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJR8402 View Post
An oil change probably wouldn't hurt...
That’s right. Thanks.

So, it’s not uncommon for a lot of you guys to let your car sit for 5 months or longer during the winter? Without starting
Old 03-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
Mark0Maro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
It will start fine. Gas will be kinda crappy in it. If it was parked with not much gas in it, id suggest atleast putting 5 gals of new gas in and drive it around alittle.
Cool. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #6
Cheekster96

Drives: 2018 2SS Bright Red
Funny. My '18SS has 6000 miles on it as well. I just started it up and rolled it out of the garage. Been stored since October 31st. Still about four more weeks till I can reach the end of the drive way with it.
Drive it normally until the flat spots are gone, oil and transmission are warmed up...then give it a good drive to blow anything out of it.
Maybe change the oil before you go for a long drive/romp on it.
2022 Silverado 2500HD Big Red
Cheekster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
Mark0Maro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekster96 View Post
Funny. My '18SS has 6000 miles on it as well. I just started it up and rolled it out of the garage. Been stored since October 31st. Still about four more weeks till I can reach the end of the drive way with it.
Drive it normally until the flat spots are gone, oil and transmission are warmed up...then give it a good drive to blow anything out of it.
Maybe change the oil before you go for a long drive/romp on it.
Sounds good.

Is the battery easy to change since it’s in the trunk?
Old 03-18-2022, 03:48 PM   #8
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0Maro View Post
That’s right. Thanks.

So, it’s not uncommon for a lot of you guys to let your car sit for 5 months or longer during the winter? Without starting
I do it every year. Change the oil before I put it way, top off the gas, throw a cover over it and forget about it till spring. Gas isn't going to go bad in 5 months. Especially high test gas with no ethanol. Doesn't hurt to put an additive like Stable in it anyway though.

Battery is kind of a PITA to get too and take in and out... Just my opinion. I do this every year as well as my storage unit doesn't have electricy. So I take the battery out and put it in my basement on a trickle charger.

I did just buy a new battery about a month ago as my battery was the OEM from 2016 new. I figured 7 years on it was good, time to replace it.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:50 PM   #9
Mark0Maro

Yea, I used to put stabil in the gas but it caused the car to run like shit. So I stopped using it.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:05 PM   #10
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Yea, I used to put stabil in the gas but it caused the car to run like shit. So I stopped using it.
If you look it up it says premium gas can start to go bad in 3-6 months. I've never had an issue. I just always top off the tank so it can't build condensation in the top of the tank when sitting.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 08:35 PM   #11
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
next year just drop it off at my house in florida.ill keep it clean and drive it at least once a week...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:53 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Before you dig in to replace the battery, try starting it. If you have access to a plug, put the maintainer on it now and leave it for a day before trying to start it. Just because it sat doesn't mean the battery is somehow bad now.

I parked my car toward the end of October. It is now roughly five months since I did so, and I have no option for a trickle charger or anything because it's at a storage facility. I went there about a month ago and pulled the cover back and found no issues with there being plenty of power for basic things like illuminating the lamps and locking/unlocking the doors.

I made a few trips back and forth to drop off / swap out a battery back-up device (made for computer equipment) along with my 5W trickle charger. The UPS device would run about three hours to power the charger which was connected to the car battery. So, I got about 12 hours of slow charging.

In another few weeks, I'll start the car and I'm sure everything will be fine.

As far as things to think about - consider the oil change (as mentioned). If you haven't done the diff fluid on it yet, consider that as well. Give it a good visual inspection looking for signs of rodent damage or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
If you look it up it says premium gas can start to go bad in 3-6 months. I've never had an issue. I just always top off the tank so it can't build condensation in the top of the tank when sitting.
The actual fuel can go bad that quickly (or slowly?) but the bigger issue these days is mostly around the ethanol that's added to the fuel. That breaks down sooner and can lead to the car running very poorly. When mine gets stored, there's around a half tank of gas or so. When I take it out of storage, I run it "as is" until I get down close to 1/4 tank and then I fill it up. I will run that tank pretty dry before filling again and then things are good for the season.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:59 AM   #13
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
My 18 2SS Camaro with only 6k miles has been sitting for 5 months without even starting. Forgot to put a trickle charger on it. I bought a new battery. I’m gonna change it ASAP. Is there anything else I need to do before I start it? And it’s garage kept.
It's a real shame that you garage it. I drive mine anytime it's above 45F and the roads have some heat.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 09:08 AM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Water from condensation is limited to the small amount present in the air in the ullage when the car is sitting. These systems are closed to prevent fuel vapor from exiting to the atmosphere. The charcoal canister only vents during the purge cycle. The fuel tank has a check valve which allows air to enter the tank while fuel is being pumped to the engine. This valve is closed when the engine is not running. The valving is slightly more complex to prevent fuel vapor from getting to the atmosphere while fueling.

It's not like your lawnmower.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote