Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-03-2022, 05:49 AM   #1
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
A-Pillar Clip Question

When removing the a pillar trim cover does the clip get removed from the pillar post or is the clip just removed/unclipped from the pillar trim cover tab? I’ve looked at a lot of posts and pics and can’t really tell. My ‘13 has the newer version clip.
Attached Images

Last edited by camguynj; 10-06-2022 at 09:09 PM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:31 AM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
The clip should come off when you remove the A-pilar cover. There will be wires attaching it to the A-pilar

I posted some decent pics in this thread.. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47343
Old 10-03-2022, 07:49 AM   #3
camguynj

So the clip comes off the cover but stays attached to the pillar?
Old 10-03-2022, 10:40 AM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Yes... those wires are for the air bag so be gentle
Old 10-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #5
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yes... those wires are for the air bag so be gentle
Are the wires physically part of the clip or do they come from the a-pillar or airbag and get attached to the clip?

The pic in your post https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1043281 shows the wires connected but the pic of the part nbr in my first post and post70in this post https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...t=26205&page=5 doesn’t show any wires. Thanks
Old 10-06-2022, 06:23 PM   #6
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Are the wires physically part of the clip or do they come from the a-pillar or airbag and get attached to the clip?

The pic in your post https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1043281 shows the wires connected but the pic of the part nbr in my first post and post70in this post https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...t=26205&page=5 doesn’t show any wires. Thanks
The "wires" are physically part of the "tether" clip.

This clip is designed to allow the A-pillar trim piece to remain "tethered" to the car body when the side curtain air bag is deployed. Inother words, the clip splits into 2 halves, with the tether wires holding the halves together.

This part can be a pain to remove from the from the metal A-pillar post (ask me how I know) and once it is removed, it should not be reused.

If you are buying a new A-pillar trim piece, both the tether clip and the other clip, are included with the trim piece.

If you are looking to replace the tether clip, the GM part number is GM 11611451. This part used on alot of other GM cars and is normally in stock at any GM dealer.
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:37 PM   #7
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChula View Post
The "wires" are physically part of the "tether" clip.

This clip is designed to allow the A-pillar trim piece to remain "tethered" to the car body when the side curtain air bag is deployed. Inother words, the clip splits into 2 halves, with the tether wires holding the halves together.

This part can be a pain to remove from the from the metal A-pillar post (ask me how I know) and once it is removed, it should not be reused.

If you are buying a new A-pillar trim piece, both the tether clip and the other clip, are included with the trim piece.

If you are looking to replace the tether clip, the GM part number is GM 11611451. This part used on alot of other GM cars and is normally in stock at any GM dealer.
THANK YOU for that informative reply, much appreciated! I don’t plan on replacing the clip. I just plan on uncliping the pillar trim cover clip halve from the trim cover tab and recliping it to the tab on my new trim cover, while leaving the clip’s metal half attached to the A-pillar post. Can that been done?
Old 10-07-2022, 08:21 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:

Sorry for not checking back quick enough. Thought I had it covered with the pic I posted, but yes Vance covered it quite well.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:54 PM   #9
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Sorry for not checking back quick enough. Thought I had it covered with the pic I posted, but yes Vance covered it quite well.
So I can unclip the halve from the trim cover tab and reclip it to the tab on the new trim cover, while leaving the clip’s metal half attached to the A-pillar post?
Old 10-07-2022, 05:35 PM   #10
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2014 ZL1
Quote:
So I can unclip the halve from the trim cover tab and reclip it to the tab on the new trim cover, while leaving the clip’s metal half attached to the A-pillar post?
Your suggestion will be very difficult. if not impossible, to accomplish as the pillar half of the clip has to slide onto the inner pillar clip post.
You may not have enough finger clearance.

I believe also that the clip halves are only meant to separate once.
(the halves may not snap back together as tight after separation, which could cause rattling of the pillar piece when driving)
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #11
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChula View Post
Your suggestion will be very difficult. if not impossible, to accomplish as the pillar half of the clip has to slide onto the inner pillar clip post.
You may not have enough finger clearance.

I believe also that the clip halves are only meant to separate once.
(the halves may not snap back together as tight after separation, which could cause rattling of the pillar piece when driving)
The guy in this post said he only removed the clip from the trim cover and mine is a’13 like his. Maybe he used needle nose pliers to get to it. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274010
Old 10-08-2022, 07:36 AM   #12
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I installed the Autometer A Pillar and duel Aeroforce gauges, Don't over think it ( I tend to over think everything I get it ) once you pull it off the pillar you can slide it off of the cover and reinstall it in the new one, Once you pop cover off it will be easy to figure out. The hardest part I had was getting the bottom by the dash back together.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:23 AM   #13
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
I installed the Autometer A Pillar and duel Aeroforce gauges, Don't over think it ( I tend to over think everything I get it ) once you pull it off the pillar you can slide it off of the cover and reinstall it in the new one, Once you pop cover off it will be easy to figure out. The hardest part I had was getting the bottom by the dash back together.
Thanks for the reply, good to know! I wasn’t trying to over think it but to make sure understood and was prepared with what I needed based on what others were saying as I didn’t want to take the pillar off and get into a situation of “oh sh*t now wtf do I do? “
Old 10-08-2022, 08:41 AM   #14
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I get but you'll see what you have to do once you pop it off, if not just pop it back on . But you'll get it. If you are installing autometer it fits and look good.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is online now   Reply With Quote