Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-12-2022, 09:55 AM   #1
MIKZ28

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #311
Followup to my original post several years ago

This is a followup from my post about modifying the Z/28 suspension to provide a more streetable ride. Well I finally got around to replacing the F-1 DSSV struts on my Z. I went with stock SS struts front and rear. I also installed a 1LE rear sway bar at the same time. I tried to install a SS front bar but I could not get it out. So there we are. The car is now raised another inch or so due to the SS struts. That plus the 1/2 inch taller tires I am using gets the car up a total of 1.5 inches above the stock Z/28's height. The car is now much more streetable and less likly to have problems with ramps and curbs. First impressions from the test drive the car handles and rides like the 2010 1SS I drove for 6 years. Much eaiser on my back and neck over the terrible Illinois roads I must travel on every day. Of course it still sounds like a Z/28 and the extra horsepower and torque over my 2010 is fantastic. No codes were set and everything felt fine the only difference I felt were how much nicer the car took bumps and expansion cracks. I know I have lost some cornering performance the car had before but I can still take exit ramps fast enough to be fun. The comprimise was worth it too me. I know some of you diehards out there will say I have ruined the car but I can always put the DSSV's back in and I will save them for the future owner if I should sell the car. It will now become my full time daily driver and i will sell my 19 year old GTO.

My original post was : Softer springs for Z/28.
I wasn't sure how to post the link.
MIKZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
hall966

Drives: Z/28
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...springs+Z%2F28
hall966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKZ28 View Post
This is a followup from my post about modifying the Z/28 suspension to provide a more streetable ride. Well I finally got around to replacing the F-1 DSSV struts on my Z. I went with stock SS struts front and rear. I also installed a 1LE rear sway bar at the same time. I tried to install a SS front bar but I could not get it out. So there we are. The car is now raised another inch or so due to the SS struts. That plus the 1/2 inch taller tires I am using gets the car up a total of 1.5 inches above the stock Z/28's height. The car is now much more streetable and less likly to have problems with ramps and curbs. First impressions from the test drive the car handles and rides like the 2010 1SS I drove for 6 years. Much eaiser on my back and neck over the terrible Illinois roads I must travel on every day. Of course it still sounds like a Z/28 and the extra horsepower and torque over my 2010 is fantastic. No codes were set and everything felt fine the only difference I felt were how much nicer the car took bumps and expansion cracks. I know I have lost some cornering performance the car had before but I can still take exit ramps fast enough to be fun. The comprimise was worth it too me. I know some of you diehards out there will say I have ruined the car but I can always put the DSSV's back in and I will save them for the future owner if I should sell the car. It will now become my full time daily driver and i will sell my 19 year old GTO.

My original post was : Softer springs for Z/28.
I wasn't sure how to post the link.
Kind of seems like maybe you bought the wrong car then. Maybe a 2SS 1LE would have been a much better match for you in the beginning. You would have had more interior creature comforts then as well.

I'd definitely save the parts though for any future owner should decide to sell it.

I guess as long as YOUR car meets your desired requirements now thats all that really matters.

You should post a picture or two of your car now then so others can see what it would look like and what the ride height looks like.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #4
MIKZ28

I guess a further explanation of why I have done what I did is needed. After I sold my 2010 1SS after 6 years and 85K miles I had decided I would eventually buy another camaro. I am not a fancy features guy. I like performance and only performance features on my car if possable. I could care less about blue tooth, GPS, power this and that. That is why I bought a 1SS in the first place. Well the 6th gen 1SS had only about 25 more horses than my 2010 and I was looking for more. I knew the 6th gen was a few hundred pounds lighter and that was nice but i was still looking for more power. I thought about the ZL1 but not only was it way out of my price range it had all the fancy crap on it I didn't want. And also a complicated suspension system and supercharger. I have always thought that the more crap that is on a car, the more there is to go wrong. I have always liked simple performance with a great power to weight ratio. Long story short Chevrolet was not building the camaro I wanted. A 1SS with the 427. Thus steps in the fifth gen Z/28. #1 lightweight, #2 No frills performance, #3 427 motor, #4 affordable. At the time I bought my Z prices for low mileage examples were selling for $33K-$38K. A steal at the time. I admit I probably ignored the fact that this was a factory track car. Many cars have been designed for track use but people bought them for the street anyway. I didn't realize how far chevrolet had gone with their track design on the Z/28. I found this out after I had purchased one. I still do not regret my decision to purchase one. I have to admit I also like the rarity of the Z as I like to be noticed when I drive. I like the idea of treading lightly but carrying a big stick. Just a quirk of mine. We all have reasons for the things we do. These are mine.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:26 PM   #5
highrevving

Drives: Z/28
First time I read z28 is affordable compared to zl1...

The ship has sailed for 33k-38k territory. I wish I was looking back then.

Anyways, you got a good deal and enjoy the way you like it. But keep the DSSV stuff!
highrevving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:17 PM   #6
MIKZ28

Here is a picture with the 2015 Camaro SS struts installed instead of the original DSSV F1 struts. Measurments are as follows: The bottom of the front splitter is now exactly 6 inches from the ground. The top middle of the front wheel arch is exactly 28 inches from the ground. The top middle of the rear wheel arch is exactly 28 1/4 inches from the ground. After a week of driving the ride is firm and slightly more rigid than the 2010 1SS I had before. Probably due to the fact that the Z/28 has firmer body and suspension bushings than the 1 SS had. I could not detect any excess body roll and exit ramps at twice normal speed were easily acheaved with no trouble. I am very happy with the ride improvement. Since the install 1 week ago I have had no issues or codes and will probably get a wheel alignment soon however it feels as if none is needed.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2022, 10:25 PM   #7
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
To each his own!
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #8
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKZ28 View Post
Here is a picture with the 2015 Camaro SS struts installed instead of the original DSSV F1 struts. Measurments are as follows: The bottom of the front splitter is now exactly 6 inches from the ground. The top middle of the front wheel arch is exactly 28 inches from the ground. The top middle of the rear wheel arch is exactly 28 1/4 inches from the ground. After a week of driving the ride is firm and slightly more rigid than the 2010 1SS I had before. Probably due to the fact that the Z/28 has firmer body and suspension bushings than the 1 SS had. I could not detect any excess body roll and exit ramps at twice normal speed were easily acheaved with no trouble. I am very happy with the ride improvement. Since the install 1 week ago I have had no issues or codes and will probably get a wheel alignment soon however it feels as if none is needed.
Looks fairly normal. I'm sure next to another Z/28 it may look taller then but I can't really see a big difference looking at yours by itself. If it accomplished what you wanted out of your car then it sounds like it is working great for you. Congrats!