Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-19-2022, 12:07 PM   #85
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
When I drove a lt1 manual the taller gears of the V8 struck me as the big difference compared to v6 manual. I was thinking the V8 would feel awesome with lower gears.
It would feel awesome. It would also render 1st and 2nd gear completely useless at wide open throttle without drag radials or slicks. Additionally, fuel efficiency would drop horrendously.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:19 PM   #86
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Being able to easily break traction would be fun and make a good drifter.

Last edited by Gen6cyl; 06-19-2022 at 12:38 PM.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:28 PM   #87
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
Being able to easily break would be fun and make a good drifter.
Although 6th gen Camaros can and do drift, that vast majority of interest in the platform is road course racing, drag racing, and street hooning.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:44 PM   #88
Gen6cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Although 6th gen Camaros can and do drift, that vast majority of interest in the platform is road course racing, drag racing, and street hooning.
Yeah, car & driver basically called the ss 1le a budget supercar. All gen6's are great driving cars and the best Camaro imo.
Old 06-19-2022, 02:05 PM   #89
Mogen

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2LT V6/A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I was the proud owner of an amazing driving '16 Camaro SS2 with a 6MT which I had to let go at the beginning of the dam pandemia. Now I'm looking back at going back into a 6th gen Camaro, but now there are two factors to consider: the crazy high used car price market and the also crazy gas cost that we are facing. I wounder if a 6th gen Camaro V6 6MT would bring back a similar driving experience of my prior SS. Has anyone experienced driving both cars?
I don’t think you’d have a similar experience. I don’t know that it would be a worse experience necessarily. I have a 2LT V6 A10 and I drove a SS A10 before I bought a V6. You will notice the difference in torque and the sound is different, but it can be almost as good if you get the dual mode exhaust.

I think about the V6 and V8 differently- the V8 is a muscle car and the V6 is a sports car. The V6 has better weight distribution (51/49 I think?).
I read that the V6 camaro was benchmarked against the E46 M3 BMW, which is arguably one of the best sports coupes of its time.
I’m not saying the V8 won’t beat the pants off the V6 in basically any situation, but on public roads I think you can have just as much fun and use less fuel with the V6. The only thing I don’t like about mine is explaining why it isn’t a V8. People think it’s still 1989 where the V6 is worthless and the V8 is the only car worth buying but it just isn’t true.
Mogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:50 AM   #90
B84GTX

Drives: 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by armycop71 View Post
The 6 sounds more like a good European car, like a Jag, but it’s not the iconic American muscle car sound no matter what exhaust is on there.

Don’t know about a Camaro yet but I had a 2014 Stang V6 for 4.5 years drove 55k miles. Then I moved to a 2019 Stang GT and have owned it for almost 4 years and put 38k on the coyote. Both were automatic.

The 6 sounded great and handled excellent with a single axle rear. It was quick too and very agile on its feet. The torque was excellent. 315HP is still a lot. The sound of the 6 was probably a roaring sound of a great European 500+ HP.

However like armycop71 mentioned NOTHING and I mean NOTHING comes close to the iconic American V8’s. The rumbling and the sudden shaking of the car when you engage the ignition is an experience you never get used to even after I have done this at least 1,000 times over the past 4 years.
The v8 GT has a stiffer suspension. Without magna ride you do get an uncomfortable ride for your day to day. The steering can be stiff, heavy and not as nifty as a v6 .(although a Camaro will be much better in both ride quality and handling).

At the end of the day it depends on what you want -
Do you want the unmatched rough power of American muscle or do you want a more refined car that you can shift through many gears and have an easier ride.
I don’t think you can go wrong with either. It depends on what you are looking for - and a v8 may not be that answer.
B84GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:03 AM   #91
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
I’ve been tracking my 2018 ZL1 M6 for a couple of seasons now and I’ve told multiple people I’d have just as much fun with a V6 1LE. The ZL1 is a little much on the tighter tracks like Atlanta Motorsports Park where the V6 would be perfect. Same thing goes for autocross, I can’t use half my power output and the nose is a little heavy in the super slow tight stuff. I also have the same V6 in my Colorado and it’s a great sounding engine in the upper rev range. Also comes back to the old “it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast” thing. If I rip through 3 gears in my current car on the street I’m hauling some serious prison level ass. In the V6 I could play a lot more.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:45 AM   #92
Gen6cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
I’ve been tracking my 2018 ZL1 M6 for a couple of seasons now and I’ve told multiple people I’d have just as much fun with a V6 1LE. The ZL1 is a little much on the tighter tracks like Atlanta Motorsports Park where the V6 would be perfect. Same thing goes for autocross, I can’t use half my power output and the nose is a little heavy in the super slow tight stuff. I also have the same V6 in my Colorado and it’s a great sounding engine in the upper rev range. Also comes back to the old “it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast” thing. If I rip through 3 gears in my current car on the street I’m hauling some serious prison level ass. In the V6 I could play a lot more.
I have a 21 v6 manual it will do about 90 mph in 3rd gear.Hearing all the talk I went and drove a lt1 manual.It did 80 mph in 2nd gear. If I drove the 8 as hard as my 6 I wouldn't be driving for long.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:53 PM   #93
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Quote:
I was the proud owner of an amazing driving '16 Camaro SS2 with a 6MT which I had to let go at the beginning of the dam pandemia. Now I'm looking back at going back into a 6th gen Camaro, but now there are two factors to consider: the crazy high used car price market and the also crazy gas cost that we are facing. I wounder if a 6th gen Camaro V6 6MT would bring back a similar driving experience of my prior SS. Has anyone experienced driving both cars?
I wouldn't go from a V8 to V6 in any shape or form in a Camaro. It's not like they put a twin turbo 6 in there and added 100HP and torque. It's less performance and worse sounding. I'd rather wait on the deal I wanted instead of settling for a V6.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:20 PM   #94
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Today I went with an open mind to test a '16 V6 Camaro, and this were my impressions:
The NPP exhaust sounds great, but I was very disappointed with the very loose shifter, the one on my SS was more precise during shifting also 5th & 6th are far away to the right and too long. Power was way down compared to my previous V8, no enough torque, but good high RPM power. Felt kind of soulless compared to my previous 6th gen Camaro SS 6MT
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:34 PM   #95
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Today I went with an open mind to test a '16 V6 Camaro, and this were my impressions:
The NPP exhaust sounds great, but I was very disappointed with the very loose shifter, the one on my SS was more precise during shifting also 5th & 6th are far away to the right and too long. Power was way down compared to my previous V8, no enough torque, but good high RPM power. Felt kind of soulless compared to my previous 6th gen Camaro SS 6MT
About what I would expect to hear. The transmission is different in the v6, it’s not as smooth as the tr6060. Sounds like you should just wait man. I know it sucks but it will be worth it. Or consider buying a 16/17 SS with some higher miles on it if you truly can’t wait.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:54 PM   #96
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
About what I would expect to hear. The transmission is different in the v6, it’s not as smooth as the tr6060. Sounds like you should just wait man. I know it sucks but it will be worth it. Or consider buying a 16/17 SS with some higher miles on it if you truly can’t wait.
Agreed 100%
Old 06-20-2022, 06:59 PM   #97
Gen6cyl

Thumbs up

Quote:
I just read your previous cars. I can now see that you need the V8. The v6 is my first over 300 h.p. car it's all I need.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:52 PM   #98
LT1ornothing

Quote:
It took me one extra year to save up for the V8, but it was a blessing. There are no mediocre rides in the V8, unless you are trying to hyper mile. Even hyper miling, it still pulls harder than the 6 in the lower revs..