Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: LT1 or 1SS 1LE
LT1 34 22.97%
1SS 1LE 114 77.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2022, 09:27 PM   #169
tarmelter

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
Buy the 1LE and be a BOSS. It's a hell of a package and will do a better job on the road then a LT1 if you like to drive it hard sometimes. Much nicer looking too.

Either way you will be happy and MY OPINION. Stop listening to others, including me, and get want YOU WANT.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:28 PM   #170
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
As a 1LE owner, and based on the fact that it's strictly a street car, you should go with the LT1.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:47 PM   #171
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
The chin spoiler on a 1le is about $500 and will hit a curb.The wheel spoilers on non1le are about $30 a peice. I had to replace one when I hit a possum.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:59 PM   #172
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Yeah, don't buy a 1LE if you like to drive cars by ramming the wheel into a parking curb to stop, but you'll at least rip the air-dam off most modern cars, even SUVs these days. It's a little lower than a regular SS. I've made a few questionable car choices over the years, stuff that didn't satisfy me or had glaring issues. The 1LE is not one of those. It just is a monster and so much fun. I just got back from AutoX today. Won my class last year, moved into open this year. Got 4th in open today, but I'm totally happy with that. There's a C6 Z06 that is always one of the top 3 (in expert) and it's amazing how a few of these cars that you otherwise would think are only for high speed tracks are so damn good at autoX, despite being big heavy cars that don't turn like a Miata. Racing is a humbling equalizer, but every time I race I realize that this car in no way holds me back. It's fun as hell to drive and race like this.

If straight line racing is what you desire...go LT1.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:00 PM   #173
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmelter View Post
Buy the 1LE and be a BOSS. It's a hell of a package and will do a better job on the road then a LT1 if you like to drive it hard sometimes. Much nicer looking too.

Either way you will be happy and MY OPINION. Stop listening to others, including me, and get want YOU WANT.
Or buy a BOSS...those don't suck, even the previous generation with the solid rear axle.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:15 PM   #174
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Yes 1le is faster in turns but non 1le turns well . Just saying non 1le maybe a better daily.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #175
Alexk

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE Shadow Gray
Was in the same position. LT1 was out of question, 1ss is only slightly more expensive so I was choosing between 1ss and 1ss 1le. Personally I hate ss rims so I figured upgrading them and add the front lip is already around 3k. Also, cloth seats is a deal breaker for me so I decided to go with 1le because you get so much more for the money. But your budget is important too, overstretching on a car is a bad idea on my opinion.
Alexk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:22 PM   #176
mattcamaromatt

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS
The 1LE is a sick car.... but even my NON-1le SS can do stupid speeds on the road in every circumstance. I only road drive mine as well. Mostly no track, might hit the track a few times a year.

If you're not tracking a 1LE, the entire package is so overkill unless you essentially want a $7k appearance pack (which I'm not bashing, I almost did the same myself). The regular SS is so capable, I suspect the LT1 is very similar.

Save the cash especially if money is tight.
mattcamaromatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:17 PM   #177
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post
I get the thread might be a little long, hence why you probably didn't read much of it so I'll give you a summary:

That LT1 is the only one I've come upon, and it's specced the way I would spec it. No dealership is forcing my hand. The situation is: Car supply is extremely low. 2022's are no longer being made. 2023's have a $2000 increase, which means I only want to buy a 2022.

The only choice I've found so far is a 1SS 1LE and an LT1. Nothing in between. As I'm new to the platform, I wanted to get everyone's input to help me make an informed decision. Are Camaro buyers really stereotyped as flush with cash nowadays? ~$10k isn't a bank breaker, but it's also not nothing. One can deduce that by asking the original question, I have some semblance of being "frugal". Frugal in that it's a relatively loose term when car enthusiasts are concerned.

I don't know if you've been living under a rock this past year, but dealers hold all the power now due to the mere drip of available vehicles. Where do you think all the markup's are coming from? I just came from a dealership that had a 400 PERSON WAITING LIST FOR A HYBRID. It is an absolute TASK to find a car at MSRP. Being I am in "commie-fornia" as some call it, we have the absolute strongest lemon laws in the country, so with that, I am forced to mainly buy from dealers in CA.
In summary, your timing sucks.

To me you've got two options if you really are a budget-minded person:

1)Be patient and wait till next spring. The currently inflated car market isn't going to last forever.

2)Get your game on and play it smart.

Call a dealership. Don't even show up in person. Tell them what you want; trim, options, color, etc. Give them time, let them know there's no rush and see what they can do for you.

If they get back to you with a good deal, have them e-mail the quote to you and print that PDF.

If they don't get back to you with a good deal, call another dealership.

If you decide to back out of a deal, have the courtesy to let them know(that way they'll stop calling/emailing you because trust me, they're desperate for a sale in the best of times).
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:50 AM   #178
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Wait to find a good SS or SS1LE if you want to track it.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #179
LA_LT1

Drives: Chevy Camaro LT1, BMW M3
I impulse leased a LT1 back in Jan 2021 when there were deals. TBH I had have never thought about a Camaro before, but the HP/$ ratio and great press about the Alpha platform put me over the edge.

Even the LT1 handles great. The stock tires bring down the limits substantially compared to what the car is capable of, but its still loads of fun on a back road, and the lower limits make it easier to get smokey/sideways, which is a plus or minus depending on your comfort level and experience.
The stock brakes are also excellent with the front brembos, never had an issue.

My other car is a BMW M3 with KW suspension and fat tires, the Camaro handles better than the M3 did stock, and even now the 'maro is more fun in a lot of ways due to the lower limits.

Where I live in SoCal I am able to get the LT1 to higher oil temps than I am used to. The car has never gone into limp mode, but I've gotten the temps up to 250-260 on canyon hill climbs when it's warmed up at 190. The M3 has better cooling and temps stay much more consistent on the same roads. I would expect the SS/1LE to be similar. If you track the car its probably a good call to go for the SS.

I love the 1LE, and if I got another Camaro I would probably seek one out but every time I drive the LT1 I get a smile on my face, especially since its such a great value.

If you don't track just get a LT1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post
Alright guys, I'm kind of under the gun here with some new info and I really need your guy's input and expertise on the matter.

I've come upon an LT1 here. Not really ideal, I'd much rather have a lowly specced 1SS Manual than that but pickings are extremely slim as we all know.

1SS 1LE is definitely a bad ass car. Love the forged wheels and the non-run flat max performance summer tires. Mainly went with 1LE is because that was what was available.

However it's about $9000 more than the LT1 I have a line on. I have to be honest with myself, it's going to be a purely street car, so the 1LE is definitely overkill. Plain 1SS is the sweet spot, so the LT1 is definitely a compromise.

One of the downsides is the LT1 only has engine oil cooler. Upside is as it's obviously bare bones, less things to break. Will I run into any kind of overheating of any drivetrain components on spirited mountain runs?

What say you all?
LA_LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:40 AM   #180
TexasRed5.9

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
To the OP:

What is your experience with having an emotional tie to a vehicle and regrets for options not chosen? I ask because if there is ANY chance of you sitting at home in 6 months looking at your new Camaro and saying to yourself "If only I had gotten the SS..." then do yourself a favor and get the SS. The hard part is done, your wife already gave the blessing!

I'm a middle aged gear head who has had Chevelles, Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs, and until recently a Charger. With those cars I was always tinkering, always upgrading. My Chevelles were small block Malibu's, so of course the SS guys looked down on them. I didn't care. The Firebirds were Formulas, so the Trans Am guys looked down on them. Again I didn't care. When I got my Charger back in 2013 I made a choice to get a V6 because with my job I have to drive quite a bit to make crew change. That car has every option but a V8. Leather, navigation, sun roof, I installed an Eibach sportline suspension, bigger police brakes, aftermarket wheels and bigger tires, CAI, ported manifold, blended throttle body, custom tune, you name it. All in the name of performance with good MPG. I loved that car but there were too many times I found myself saying "If only I had gotten the Hemi..."

For many years I wished that Chevy would come out with a bare bones big engine car and they finally did it. Last year I discovered the LT1 and pulled the trigger on a white base automatic. I was exactly what I wanted. Big engine, bigger front brakes, auto, and the ability to throw on a set of slicks and run the 1/4. I've thrown on a CAI and Flowmaster axleback and absolutely love this car. My only gripe was the seats. The cloth sucks big time. It's like riding around on 80 grit. So I ripped them out, ordered a Katzkin kit, and now have the comfy seats my candyass has gotten used to the last few years. Could I have afforded the SS, yes. Would I have made the most of all the goodies and gadgets, no. Will I have any regrets, absolutely not. I've always had a thing for sleepers and that's what I have. It looks just like a V6 car and I love the surprised looks when people hear it fire up.

So, it seems like the looks and extras are important to you even though you don't "need" them. None of us need them and practical shouldn't be in our vocabulary with these cars. My vote is get the SS and don't look back.