Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #29
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
It would be nice if I could tow a trailer with my 1st gen on it. But, that would probably be too much. I guess I'll have to spring for gas for two cars if I go to a show.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #30
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Towing shouldn't be a problem at all, don't expect a kit for it imediately after they start rolling onto dealerships.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #31
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNIGHTMARE View Post
How the hell r u going to get it out of the water on the boat ramp?
DING DING DING DING DING! We have a winner!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #32
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
DING DING DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #33
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
He apparently used to do it with a caprice, let alone a camaro!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #34
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
i wouldn't be towing #$%& all with the camaro. a hitch on any car makes me cringe.....
Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #35
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
He apparently used to do it with a caprice, let alone a camaro!
Good thing some people still read everything!
Yea, the Caprice has no problem pulling the Sea Doo. It has a slightly beefed up 5.0L and a limited slip rear end, and i have no problem towing and cruising at my normal speed of 130.

The Camaro has a very beefy 6.2L (apx 2.4 times the horse of the Caprice) and the LSD, and all the coolers, so its a matter of finding someone who has a proper hitch, with the proper bracing. And no, i don't expect hitches to be out right away... pending SEMA, not much other then GM Accesories will be.

And Black5thGen, its good to hear that, if the old 4th gens can do it, the 5th gen should have no problem!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #36
jordan 572

Drives: none
my uncles has about 5 seadoos they are the funniest thing to drive in the world [i cant drive yet]the tongue weight on his 2 place trailer should be about 200 pounds because i am 150 pounds and that thing is about ready to tip back when i stand on them in the back. who cares everyone know a camaro isnt for towing but i even know another cheap suv/truck anothe car payment,insurance,fixing it when it breaks,and oil changes o and gas
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #37
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Go ahead and cut holes in your diffuser panel. That will look sweet and really help with resale value.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #38
Oracle

Drives: Ford Focus
Towing is one area where the hefty weight of the camaro will help you out alot. one of the most dangerous things is people towing with a vehicle to small for the application. It puts the driver at the mercy of whatever they are towing, not in control of it. for what your asking of the vehicle your perfectly within limits. my concern with towing is that the suspension may be a bit soft in the rear. if that is the case an airride suspension will help even that out, but with only a seadoo you should be ok unless your ramp is particularly steep. your only concern is finding a hitch and fabricating the rear end to have it fit. the problem is we here in america dont put options like trailer hitches on our cars like they do in australia or other countries. we all have our truck to compliment our vehicle lineups. that being said im sure you could order a hitch from a Commodore down under and have it shipped here. I think i have to agree with the majority of people who dislike the idea of towing something with my camaro but if its necessary for you then go for it. ill see you at the lake.
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #39
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Towing is one area where the hefty weight of the camaro will help you out alot. one of the most dangerous things is people towing with a vehicle to small for the application. It puts the driver at the mercy of whatever they are towing, not in control of it.
Thank you! I was reading through the whole thread thinking that, wondering why there are so many responses and none even mention it. They all talk about power, but we already know the car will be way more powerful than the Caprice, and way more powerful than trucks rated to tow 10,000 pound campers...and anyway, even if it didn't have enough power, that's still ok. So you have to go slower. If you can't tolerate going slow, you shouldn't be towing anyway!

Towing priorities are in this order:

1. Safety -- Weight of tow vehicle vs weight of trailer, tow vehicle layout, tongue weight and tow vehicle overhang, suspension and tire load ratings, brakes, lateral and braking traction. The single PWC should be no problem with the two ton Camaro.

2. Legality -- GCWR and any special towing equipment required by manufacturer. I imagine the Camaro will come with a tow rating high enough for the job, and probably won't require trailer brakes. It sure won't require a weight-distributing hitch...a standard hitch will be specified if they do allow towing. Else, they will simple say that the car is not rated for towing, which will make it illegal in most places.

3. Insurance -- This is where legality really comes into play. Cops don't look for people dragging trailers to harass, nor do most have the technical know-how to do it. However, if you get in an accident, your insurance company can and will seize any opportunity to deny your claim -- such as not following laws or manufacturer's recommendations perfectly.

4. Durability -- Can you tow without blowing the transmission? That definitely won't be a problem in this case.

5. Forward traction -- RWD + limited slip diff == win. Every try dragging a boat up a dirt ramp with FWD? I did, with a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am and a boat that I forgot to unstrap from the trailer. Luckily, a nice passerby used his truck to drag me out.

Quote:
my concern with towing is that the suspension may be a bit soft in the rear.
I doubt it. It's a Camaro, not my wife.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #40
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454lsxss View Post

Sigh... everyone sees this and thinks OH ITS MADE FOR IT!!!!1!1!!!

Get a grip people.. EVERY AND I MEAN EVERY PREPRODUCTION VEHICLE HAS A CUSTOM HITCH PUT ON IT

EVEN AVEO'S, LAMBO'S, YARIS'S.. ITS PART OF THE DAMN TESTING NOT MENT FOR PRODUCTION.

They use tow behind dynos and stress weight to test the drivetrains.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #41
Tal

Drives: Old
I doubt I'll be doing so myself, but if you have a need there's nothing wrong with using a car to tow a light load. Some people have mental conditions preventing themselves from making full use of cars but don't let that stop you, just pay attention to the ratings from GM so your insurance company doesn't have a chance to pull one over on you.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #42
DntWrryBeHappy21
Patiently Waiting...

Drives: whatevers in the driveway atm
Send a message via AIM to DntWrryBeHappy21
I dont see why everyone's opinion is getting in the way of this thread. Hes not asking "does it make sense" IMO hes asking if itll be possible with an tow kit....So I dont think everyone should be bashing him and posting saying "its a bad idea" "dont do it" "omg kill yourself for thinking of that"

I'm not too sure on the towing with the camaro, why not sell the cobalt and caprice and buy a nice little pickup?

One day....
DntWrryBeHappy21 is offline   Reply With Quote