The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-05-2023, 09:06 PM   #1
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Bucket list

I know deep in the heart of every “car guy” is the desire to drive on the Autobahn in Germany through the sections with no speed limit and just floor it till the speedometer stops going up.

But I’m planning a trip to Europe sometime in the next two years and I am seriously considering shipping my Camaro over just to experience this once in a lifetime opportunity.

I know what you’re thinking: most sane people would just rent a hot German car in Germany while they’re there to do the Autobahn. Maybe that only proves that I’m insane. You may be right. I may be crazy.

But it would mean so much more to me to do it in my Camaro. I already have the co-pilot who will be filming the speedometer and out the window for posterity.

I figure it should be around $5k for round trip shipping and German registration.

When the time comes, and if it happens, I’ll be sure to post the video.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 09:09 AM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Driving the Autobahn would be fun but not so sure I'd want to ship my Camaro to the other side of the Earth for a few hours of excitement. Plenty of road course tracks here to enjoy with high speed straights and fun twisty turns. If I were to go through all of the hassle and stress of traveling with my vehicle my first stop would be the Nurburgring in an attempt to duplicate the 2014 Z/28 run.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:04 AM   #3
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Driving the Autobahn would be fun but not so sure I'd want to ship my Camaro to the other side of the Earth for a few hours of excitement. Plenty of road course tracks here to enjoy with high speed straights and fun twisty turns. If I were to go through all of the hassle and stress of traveling with my vehicle my first stop would be the Nurburgring in an attempt to duplicate the 2014 Z/28 run.
As much as I do understand that, just my personal preference I’d love to hit top speed, hammer all the way into the carpet, and just keep it there for a few miles or longer. No twisties, no up and down shifting. You’re right I can do that at a track in America. But unless NASCAR lets me on to Talledega for a few hours by myself it’s pretty much impossible to do what I really want anywhere but the Autobahn. Including the Nurburgring.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 07-07-2023, 01:34 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

OK, maybe in addition to (not instead of) the Autobahn trip you might consider the Silver State Classic Challenge in Nevada. 90 miles of highway with several mph classes to choose from. Many heavy-hitters exceeding 200 mph.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:55 PM   #5
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
OK, maybe in addition to (not instead of) the Autobahn trip you might consider the Silver State Classic Challenge in Nevada. 90 miles of highway with several mph classes to choose from. Many heavy-hitters exceeding 200 mph.

Just reading the rules for that, it is very cool! I don't think I'd be wanting to jam a full roll cage into my ZL1 just to say I did that at a full throttle run.

https://www.sscc.us/global/pdf/2023_rulebook.pdf
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:31 PM   #6
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I have some very good out in the middle of nowhere roads that at 3:00am are my Audubon and pikes peak
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 10:12 PM   #7
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
I know deep in the heart of every “car guy” is the desire to drive on the Autobahn in Germany through the sections with no speed limit and just floor it till the speedometer stops going up.

But I’m planning a trip to Europe sometime in the next two years and I am seriously considering shipping my Camaro over just to experience this once in a lifetime opportunity.

I know what you’re thinking: most sane people would just rent a hot German car in Germany while they’re there to do the Autobahn. Maybe that only proves that I’m insane. You may be right. I may be crazy.

But it would mean so much more to me to do it in my Camaro. I already have the co-pilot who will be filming the speedometer and out the window for posterity.

I figure it should be around $5k for round trip shipping and German registration.

When the time comes, and if it happens, I’ll be sure to post the video.
Done that for about 10 years every day, but with a Audi and a BMW.
Would Love to do it again but with my SS
Old 10-29-2023, 01:06 AM   #8
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
I have some very good out in the middle of nowhere roads that at 3:00am are my Audubon and pikes peak
Audubon? I don’t know if I’d be flying a bird on the German freeway
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 10-29-2023, 01:20 AM   #9
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwL_Wildcat View Post
Just reading the rules for that, it is very cool! I don't think I'd be wanting to jam a full roll cage into my ZL1 just to say I did that at a full throttle run.

https://www.sscc.us/global/pdf/2023_rulebook.pdf
Agreed. I wasn't aware of the stringent requirements. Guess I'm out too. I'm not going to do any such mods to my Z/28.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:52 AM   #10
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Are there changes to lighting, etc, you'd have to make to be street legal in Germany? Its your bucket list and your life savings, but if it were me I'd find an alternative outlet for it over here, domestically.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 01:24 PM   #11
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
So this is something that goes on annually near me, and they have similar rules for cars that hit certain speeds

https://shift-s3ctor.com/indy-airstrip-attack/

However, it's only a 1/2 mile strip so most high HP cars in a factory form won't necessarily hit their max speed on that, which reduces the needs for a roll cage/other safety gadgets to some degree.

Might be a better solution to at least get used to those kinds of speeds at a 1/2 mile and see how that feels