Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #15
SliChillax

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10, F-Type R, RR Sport
I've got an M235i and will be getting a ZL1 by December. Anything else I should look out for apart from you mentioned?
SliChillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #16
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
OP, I totally agree. I purchased the skip shift eliminator when I bought my car last November. It’s still in the packaging inside my toolbox. It’s has been an issue enough to justify installing the dang thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #17
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I just don't find the skip shift that intrusive, but since I had a gen 5 that may muddy the waters for me a bit. Due to so much torque on tap, I find myself skipping shifts all the time anyway, 1-3, or 2-4, starting from 1st, it's not a big deal to accelerate up (mildly) and let the skip-shift do it's thing. There's too much torque to sequentially go through the low gears IMO. I do find this is much more responsive and faster-accelerating than the gen 5 in 4th after I've gone 1-4, the gen 5 used to bog a little more and this seems to pick up much faster.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #18
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
I've got an M235i and will be getting a ZL1 by December. Anything else I should look out for apart from you mentioned?
The size difference and decrease in visibility are the big changes you notice immediately. Because of the small size, the nimble handling, and the excellent visibility, the M235i was one of the easiest cars to drive that I have ever experienced. Also, the BMW in Comfort mode is much more luxury car-like and less harsh than the 1LE in Tour mode. The Camaro is much more raw and visceral overall, i.e. less refined, than the BMW. And of course there's a huge difference in fuel economy. I'm sure you're well aware of all these differences and compromises with the Camaro. It's all worth it.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:35 AM   #19
SliChillax

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10, F-Type R, RR Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
The size difference and decrease in visibility are the big changes you notice immediately. Because of the small size, the nimble handling, and the excellent visibility, the M235i was one of the easiest cars to drive that I have ever experienced. Also, the BMW in Comfort mode is much more luxury car-like and less harsh than the 1LE in Tour mode. The Camaro is much more raw and visceral overall, i.e. less refined, than the BMW. And of course there's a huge difference in fuel economy. I'm sure you're well aware of all these differences and compromises with the Camaro. It's all worth it.
I have actually only driven a normal 2SS and that car seemed much more nimble and easier to handle than my M235i. It handled bumps way easier but maybe the 1LE or ZL1 is much harsher. Visibility isn't a problem for me since I'm used to worse. I like the more raw feeling though, I already have a comfortable suv so I'm not looking for comfort and luxury in a sports car.
SliChillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #20
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Driving around islands in parking lots is especially difficult due to the visibility, you just have no idea how far they are jutting out there with no ability to see.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #21
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
[LIST=1][*]There are few, if any, mainstream cars with worse visibility, so that will take getting used to

As far as visibility, so far I'm seeing that at least 90% of the time, there is no issue. Driving forward in this car is not much different than any other car, and most of the time, that's what you're doing. I have not yet been on a multi-lane highway with lots of traffic and cars on both sides, so I can't comment on that. That could be tricky. The difficulties I have seen so far are all low-speed parking-related things. Yesterday I pulled into an angled parking spot (end spot of course ), next to what else but a large SUV. When backing out of the spot later, of course I couldn't see well around the SUV, and the blind spot in the right rear prevented me from seeing any cars pulling past me through the lot. So of course a little Honda was ripping past while I was inching back, and I never saw him - but the rear Cross Traffic alert did pick him up and beeped a warning at me - so no harm done, because the safety features had done their job. Even without the system, I wouldn't have just backed out assuming no one was there, so I wouldn't call it a close call at all. The point is, I could not see that Honda myself, but I'm sure I would have seen him if I was in my MINI.

1) Visibility is not a constant issue 100% of the time, and most times is not an issue at all;

The visibility issue with these cars is grossly exaggerated. Prior to my 2017 I owned the 2012 5th Gen which had a higher cowl on the hood. Visibility in that car was fine as well. It takes all of about 5 mins of driving it to feel comfortable.

My very first experience with a 5th gen was during vacation in LA. I picked up a 2011 at LAX and promptly pulled on the freeway into LA traffic. I was comfortable in just a few minutes.

As for your experience backing out of the parking space. I doubt you would have been in better shape in your Mini. I have a Camry and a Pick Up as my daily drivers and even I can't see around some of these new monster SUV's. I had a Esclade parked next to my Camry last week and all I could see was doors and quarter panel until I cleared the rear bumper as my car doesn't sit high enough to look through the SUV's windows.

Thankfully the Camaro does have the cross traffic which is helpful

Last edited by init4fun; 04-02-2018 at 10:56 AM.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #22
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
The visibility issue with these cars is grossly exaggerated.
Now that I own a 6th gen Camaro myself, I have my own opinion and respectfully will disagree with you. The visibility issue is real and I don't think it's exaggerated.

Like I said in my original post, it's not a deal-breaker, you certainly do become accustomed to it and learn to live with it, and in most normal driving situations you just sort of forget about it. But to deny there's an issue at all is silly. This is my fourth Camaro, and this one has the worst visibility of the four, by far. It's also worse than the three Mustangs I owned, and frankly it has the worst visibility of any car I have owned in 40 years of driving.

Again, the car is so wonderful otherwise that it's worth living with all the compromises, e.g. visibility, storage, rear seating, fuel economy, ergonomics, etc. It's a performance car buff's dream car!
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #23
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
My $ .02

99% of my driving is here in Montana, so few real traffic issues. Headed south on Wednesday to Moab, then Monument Valley so I will get an education as I travel through SLC, UT. But I agree with the OP...just have a little situational awareness in traffic and it's all OK.

As far as parking...I DO try to plan my parking so I have a good rear view out, or park facing out. I have a bare bones 1SS so no traffic/hazard alerts. I would like that feature after 16 months with my car. Again...simply be aware and careful.

Still loving the car. REALLY looking forward to my trip south in a few days....Car hasn't been out of the yard since December 17th of LAST year. I hope the weather window I have to get out of here holds up.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
It didn't take me two weeks to figure out the visibility complaint was overblown. I saw that during the test drive, lol.

The skip-shift crap is not as bothersome, but I still have the habit of shifting out of first too quickly. That's what driving a car with short gears for 11 years does.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #25
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
well, my 2 cents for whatever its worth. at my age (57) i have driven, owned lots of lots of vehicles and motorcycles. i thought i was a good driver until i bought my first motorcycle in 1984. driving in my area if you dont have :"swivel" head you will get hurt...its not if but when. so learning to drive a motorcycle along with taking safety courses does teach you to constantly monitor your surrounding area, cars, bikes, pedestrians etc. visibility is a issue of how you decide to view things....or not. when you guys took your driving course to get your license, were you introduced to the concept of scanning your mirrors every few minutes? quick look to the left mirror, rear view and then right hand mirror....you would be amazed and what you notice and see. do you pull into a busy intersection with your foot on the accelerator and dont look both ways before proceeding? cant tell you how many times i have had to pull into the next lane super quick to avoid hitting the guy in front of me who was not paying attention.... did i have time to look if the lane was empty, nope i new it was empty.

visibility or lack thereof is what you make it. how many of you have put a tall cone or broom or whatever on extreme the front, corners and rear of your cars? all you have to do is make a mental note and/or point of reference that will greatly help you later..especially in parking lots. just a thought.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:26 PM   #26
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Properly adjusted mirrors will set you free.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #27
ParrotPaul

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE...Grey
Agree the skip-shift isn't the night mare I imagined. It's easy to get around, and...to date...it hasn't presented all that much of an annoyance. Save your $50 bucks. Go with what you get.
ParrotPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #28
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotPaul View Post
Agree the skip-shift isn't the night mare I imagined. It's easy to get around, and...to date...it hasn't presented all that much of an annoyance. Save your $50 bucks. Go with what you get.
My skip shift eliminator harness was $15.00. It's just a resistor.

50.00????
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote