The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 09-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
showstopper

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
I am in the same predicament as the past two post. We spend out lives thinking about what is right, what is wrong. When do you just draw the line and just enjoy your life? The way I look at is, if the food is on the table, the bills are being paid for, college funds, retirement etc. We should be good.
showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #30
EvolutioN

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500 - Subaru LegacyGT
I am putting my order in for a 6spd auto CGM 3LT with Z51 + Mag Shocks+Perf Exh and Kalahari and Carbon interior within 6 months. And I will trade in my 2010 GT500 ..
Just want to save a little bit more. And it is not like I cannot afford it right now. but I just want to have just a small(er) loan. With approx 20K down and the GT500 that I don't owe anything on as a trade.

Cars never make financial sense.

But anything can happen anytime in life.
Don't go thru life "un-explored" ..

Since 2006 I have had an E46 M3, 06 GTO, 07 Roush 427R, 10 IOM 2SS/RS Camaro and now the Grabber Blue Shelby... and very soon a 14 Stingray .. Cars are my passion.

If you can, like myself easily afford it. Do It. Go for it ..
EvolutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #31
flatcrank

Drives: Porsche 911
All the usual financial planning advice applies when it comes to a vehicle purchase. Here's my usual checklist of things I've taken into account before ordering the Stingray.

First, you're a small business owner. Look to your California tax preparer for advice on possible usage/depreciation write-offs.

Get a lease. Interest rates are still within points of all time lows. The lease also improves capital usage, defers sales tax and gives you fixed, known cost to exit should you need to liquidate. Looking at lease residuals gives you a very real check on depreciation for any given car. This $72K shiny toy will step off a ledge (or a cliff?) in terms of resale value once the dealers start have inventory and start discounting 2014's to make way for 2015's that will have new features and better reliability, quality, etc.

In my opinion, at least in the way I balance the books, I consider buying a new model car as a decision to pay a high premium for that first year of driving. What you're paying today is not amortized over say five years, it's really a question of "Do I want to drive the new Stingray for 2014 or will I be happier being less of an early adopter, and getting a better deal between 6 and 12 months from now?"

Negotiate a discount. It might be June before there's good discounting.

Defer the purchase till spring or summer. Sacramento gets a "real" winter, even though it's brief, so buying today, or any time before about Feb is paying for a car to sit in the garage and be insured, etc. Spring is also the time to sell your present vehicle in an active market. Unless you're selling an SUV, even Northern California's brief, mild winter can slow down car sales. Personally, I love having a sports car to run through the Sierras and around Lake Tahoe on those crisp, sunny January days. But deferring the purchases brings advantages in purchase leverage, cash flow and things like having an extra quarter to plan and prepare.

Sell your present vehicle privately. Get it in 100% condition, market it properly, get a decent price.

Offset other indulgences. Find other aspects of your recreational life to take a trim. Easy things to cut are unhealthy habits (smoking, excessive and expensive food) and consumerism (aside from cars, of course, but things like luxury goods, electronics, non-essential subscriptions and services, paying others to do things you could do without detracting from your business operations and actual income generating vocational tasks.) Some sensible budgeting can help you do what I call "start now."

My favorite budget tactic: "start now." If you figure the lease, insurance, gas, registration, maintenance adds up to $800 pcm, start putting that full amount away now. Be disciplined. After a few months, you've got a healthy and conscientious "rainy day" buffer so the car never becomes a financial headache. Keeping six months' payments in an interest bearing account will be readily accessible, but not at your fingertips to be used for other purposes, can mean the Vette is a joy and never a source of distress.

With two kids, the Stingray is basically a motorcycle. There's not too many times you and your wife will get to ride together, so it's mostly you, alone, I assume. You only live once, and 38 is a lot, lot more fun than 48, so I say now is the time to enjoy some individual indulgences, in a sort of "carpe diem" sense, so long as you address all the above ideas, you can have the car and the first thing I'd suggest is a day at Sears or Thunderhill to enjoy the car beyond 70mph. : )
flatcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #32
EvolutioN

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500 - Subaru LegacyGT
Oh I forgot to mention... After reading "flatcrank's" view and the excellent and detailed explanation..

..That I am single and 35 .. Which makes things easy for me.

And ..
Carpe Diem all ..
EvolutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #33
2ndvette

Drives: Black c6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis White Law View Post
In appealing to common financial wisdom notwithstanding my insane desire to purchase the C7, I wonder if purchasing my (status 3000) Z51 red stingray is a sound decision. I am 38 years old, married with two young girls (6&1). I own my own business, make above six figures, and my wife is a stay at home mom. In the last three years i have had incredible financial success but the market is changing for me such that i don't know what the future holds. My net worth is below $500k and my annual income could decrease in the next 2 years as I am self employed.

I want it. . .bad. I am a v8 American sports car guy and though late model Corvettes have failed to stir my loins, the new C7 was love at first sight. from the moment i saw the unveil I have been incessantly trolling for videos, articles and anything C7.

I have never purchased a new car before and am feeling a little bit of anxiety of the prospect of spending $70k when i still have a mortgage and other work related liabilities. I DON'T want to be 55 before I get my dream machine (no offense to the respected elders on this site, but it is you whom I am addressing).

My potential purchase of a C7 is a pure selfish act to appease my desire for HP, torque and overall bad-ass-ness. BUT, with it comes speeding tickets, higher insurance, maintenance costs, aftermarket upgrades , etc.

How can one know if they are ready to spend $70k on a luxury two seater sports car when they have a lot of ground to make toward retirement and financial security?

Do I have permission to pull the trigger?

How are you justifying your potential purchase of the new C7?

My finance is almost a mirror to yours.....with the exception I only have one daughter....I worked hard my entire life to provide for my family, made every sacrifice imaginable .....budget for retirement and my child education....I watched people that don't save a dime spend rececklessly while I had to endure and build my asset and retirement up......but when I saw the C7, all that foundation went out the door....plus my wife told me that I deserve the car I want.....so if you work hard buy it, cause you don't know what tomorrow bring...plus owning a corvette is priceless....
2ndvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #34
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Small business owner? Putting your Advertising on the vehicle??

...I see a potential 'Promotion and Advertising' Write-off

Although, with young kids, don't forget that Daddy-Taxi duties will inevitably come and
a 2 seat sports cars will be a liability.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #35
Chuckster

Drives: 2012 2LT Convertible
I suppose my question is more logistical than financial. You can't transport both of your kids in this car, not to mention your wife. Is this going to create an issue? My kids and I enjoyed four seat convertibles while they were growing up.

Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #36
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Porsche 911s have baxk seats, but to my knowledge no Corvette has had a backseat ay the moment it rolled of the assembly line.

What happened that we are discussing back seats in a Corvette?

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #37
Jabs

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS Stage 2
Why order it for 70K if you can't afford it? I'm planning on ordering mine at 58K just lessen the options if you want the car but can't afford 70K

Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #38
Highway 61

Drives: 2014 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis White Law View Post
Ouch! Thing is, I know this and your right. BUT . . .
You also said your 38 years old with two kids, make above six figures, and your net worth is below $500k.

At 38, your net worth isn't as important as your yearly income to make this purchase. If you think your yearly income will be below $150K going forward, you better pass on this for now. If your making $150 to $250K, you'll have to see if your budget can afford it if you need a loan to buy this. If your making over $250K a year, you should be okay if the wife is not a big spender?

The one's that say just sell it if you have too, plan on losing at least $10K if it comes to that.

Good luck, but remember your family comes first.
Highway 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #39
Louis White Law

Drives: Torch Red C7 Z51 stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabs View Post
Why order it for 70K if you can't afford it? I'm planning on ordering mine at 58K just lessen the options if you want the car but can't afford 70K
$70k = out the door - car, options, taxes and license fees.

And thank you every one that has responded. Truly. I know I have a 80% chance or more of going through with the order. But still nervous about it despite the amount of saving and sound investing I've done in the last three years.

I cut my cable bill by $60 killing HBO and other movie channels, stopped the monthly $100 auto-withdrawal at Massage Envy and trying to skimp here and there to make it all make sense.

I also own a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ for the wake board boat and business, and a 2006 Audi A3 for the wife and kids. So while having a two seat Vette is an absolute luxury, I have other family mobiles for different activities.

Still a small part of me is saying don't do it!!!!!
Louis White Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #40
jashobbsie
Davenport Stage 5+

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & C7 Corvette 3LT Z51
don't feel bad, I just bought a ZL1 camaro and put nearly $20,000 in upgrades into the car over the summer, I just ordered a C7 (torch red) Z51 3LT all the bells and whistles... like everyone is saying here, you only live once...like you, I too make a good living and I always say, "I ain't taking all my money to my grave" I'm going to enjoy it while I can...I have my Modded ZL1 promised to my son...so, the C7 is my car to keep...plus, its the first year of the comeback...how cool is that.
Just do It!

cheers!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #41
Bobbykart

Drives: 1973 DeTomaso Pantera
The only regret...

I ever had was selling my corvette, JUST BUY IT! I am patiently waiting for my
C7 to arrive, ordered in May
Bobbykart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #42
B. Pateman

Drives: E550 Coupe
Why not lease the car? If you own your own business the lease is a tax writeoff. Problem solved.
B. Pateman is offline   Reply With Quote