Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
phoenix78

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS (A6 Ashen Gray)
Question Questions: GPI SS2 VVT Cam Kit

Hi All,

I have a 2014 Camaro 1SS (L99) and am thinking about upgrading to a Gwatney Performance SS2 VVT camshaft. This car is primarily a daily driver, but I do occasionally go on "spirited drives" on the weekends and seem to enjoy top end speed. Perhaps that would change with a 3.91 gear swap, which I'm debating. Historically, I haven't had a consistently lead foot haha.

Current mods:

• Kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers with high flow cats
  • Borla S-Type axle-back exhaust
  • CAI cold air intake
  • Ridetech HQ series coilovers
  • Janetty Racing SCT X4 tune - 93 octane
In selecting options for the cam kit, I want to "do it right the first time". Therefore, I'm ready to save up the money to get the best setup possible for how the car is used. I've read that camming an L99 is pretty pricy, regardless of the options selected.

I installed the previous mods with friends, but plan to pay a professional this time around.

My apologies for the wall of text. Here are my questions:
  1. Is the SS3 VVT worth it over the SS2 version for how I drive?
  2. Which specific parts should I select to be included in the cam kit?
  3. What's a good torque converter to get for this setup?
  4. Should I instead convert the L99 to an LS3 and use a non-VVT cam?
  5. What might be the average cost of parts and installation (I'm in Austin, Texas if that helps).
  6. Is there any particular maintenance that needs to happen regularly after you cam a car?

Thanks so much! This forum has always been so helpful.
phoenix78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
I have a that cam and have enjoyed it. I called and talked with Ryan at GPI and he set me up with all the goodies including a 3600 converter and rod mod intake. Did all the work myself with help from a buddy (did his Camaro right after mine).

I have the SS2VVT, rod mod intake, PTB, Kooks 1 7/8 headers & cats with a Solo cat back & 3.91's as well. Its a fun set up and I wouldn't be scared to daily it if needed. It drives well and I honestly wished I would have just went with the SS3VVT or SS4VVT to begin with. Not having any experience with driving a street car with a converter made me a little weary of going to a big cam & converter. Hindsight is 20/20 right? lol

If you are planning on being a DD and spirited car, I would recommend keeping the VVT. It gives your tuner a broader timing range with the cam. The SS2VVt is a great cam for this IMO.

GPI lists the costs for parts and install on their site - https://gwatneyperformance.com/camaro-services/
That should be a good starting point for you. While GPI is a great shop, Texas Speed is closer for you (I think) so probably wouldn't hurt to compare with them.

Whatever you do, get a really good set of lifters, thats not an area to cheap out on. Rocker bushings are an option, wasn't for me as I found 2 broken rockers during disassembly and went with C.H.E bushings. You will want a really good transmission cooler being in Austin. This is a popular transmission cooler to get - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LEZIILVE&psc=1

As far as maintenance, it's recommended to swap valve springs around every 20K miles or so.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP

Last edited by Ashen 6.2; 02-25-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I just priced everything from GPI for the ss1 vvt cam swap with the che trunnion upgrade and it's around $2600. So you would be looking at that plus your torque converter. I played around with the cart at Texas Speed and I think it was quite a bit cheaper. So I would definitely get a price from both places and Texas Speed is in Georgetown so you can drive there and pick everything up.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
phoenix78

Thanks so much for the feedback! You both made some really good points that I'll have to consider. Really looking forward to this.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:20 PM   #5
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I have the GPI SS2 VVT cam. Puts down amazing power. Has a great growl and chop. You can daily it as long as you get at least a 3200 stall converter. Of course a tranny cooler is then needed too. If you go with the SS1 you can roll with the stock converter and still put out respectable power gains.

Expect about 5k if someone does it for you. Maybe $3500ish if you do it yourself.

Best suggestions;

Get CHE trunion upgrade kit
Change ALL the lifters
Change oil pump
Get a Circle D converter
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:25 PM   #6
phoenix78

Thanks for the heads up! Didn't realize that a different oil pump would be recommended (learning as I go haha).
Mod list: GPI SS3 camshaft (VVT delete), ZL1 Fuel Pump, FIC 60 lb injectors, Tru-Cool 40k tranny cooler, Circle D 3600 triple disc (billet flexplate), GPI Rod Mod, Bo White ported TB, Variant Helium wheels, Continental ECS 02 tires, CAI cold air intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ high flow cats, Ridetech HQ coilovers, BMR sway bars, BMR delrin subframe bushings, Hendrix offset poly diff bushings, Borla S-Type axle-back exhaust, Holley EFI Fuel Rails, Elite Engineering E2 catch can, Umbra LED Taillights, Kenwood DMX9707S head unit, some minor interior/exterior appearance mods.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:24 AM   #7
Roader

Drives: Camaro
You don’t need to change oil pump on l99. On ls3, yes. On the l99 it’s a personal preference but not required

From a personal standpoint I went from a tsp vvt2 to gpi vvt4. I think sweet spot is stage 3 from either company for your needs. Pair it with a 3600 converter or larger and you’ll be good. I’ve found it is best to go bigger than you think you’ll want so stage 3 and 4K stall is my overall recommendation.
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
You don’t need to change oil pump on l99. On ls3, yes. On the l99 it’s a personal preference but not required
This is correct. And I nearly didn't change mine. But since it was opened up, and the part is cheap, I did it for piece of mind.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Good advice from all the above!! And as for this statement in your first post.....................
I haven't had a consistently lead foot haha.

This will change with the cam and stall!! Ask me how I know.. lol. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #10
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Good advice from all the above!! And as for this statement in your first post.....................
I haven't had a consistently lead foot haha.

This will change with the cam and stall!! Ask me how I know.. lol. Good luck.
Spot on!

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:10 PM   #11
Tarendor

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss rs L99
*questions:
#1 yes because it's the same price for more power, now you will need to add a stall and tranny cooler, but then you won't want the ss3 after getting the ss2. (I got all of my parts to do the swap from them)

#2 What's a good torque converter to get for this setup? CircleD 3800 or higher..

#3 NO, Ryan can remote tune that baby like a boss.

What might be the average cost of parts and installation (I'm in Austin, Texas if that helps. NO IDEA I did my own in my garage.

I spent some serious time comparing the price between comparable items at GPI vs TS...Ts was around $200.00 cheaper on the bottom line. I just felt that GPI was the better choice after talking with them.

I have purchased 4 cam setups from them and have been completely satisfied.

I call them every now and then with silly questions I come up with at random times and they always take the time to help me out. Excellent customer service.
2012 2SS/RS, L99, no cats/mufflers, Ported intake manifold, fuel rail upgrade, ID1050x injectors, Vmax throttle body, 25% UDP, GPI DOD delete, GPI SS3, GPI cnc heads, GPI – 5/16″ Hardened Pushrods, BTR trunion upgrade, BTR .660 springs, pcv revamp w/dual catch cans, Circle D 3800, full BMR suspension & bushings. ZL1 fuel pump, HPT programmed fpcm. JMS bap, Snow VC-50 methanol setup. custom 4gal methonal tank, vs7875 turbo, FMIC, precision 46mm WG, 50mm BOV, 3bar map, SJM line lock, Innovate SCG-1, Hurst shifter with tap shift mod, ×2 Holley 14" fans Diy E85, Diy auxiliary pump
Tarendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #12
phoenix78

Thanks so much! This community is fantastic!
Mod list: GPI SS3 camshaft (VVT delete), ZL1 Fuel Pump, FIC 60 lb injectors, Tru-Cool 40k tranny cooler, Circle D 3600 triple disc (billet flexplate), GPI Rod Mod, Bo White ported TB, Variant Helium wheels, Continental ECS 02 tires, CAI cold air intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ high flow cats, Ridetech HQ coilovers, BMR sway bars, BMR delrin subframe bushings, Hendrix offset poly diff bushings, Borla S-Type axle-back exhaust, Holley EFI Fuel Rails, Elite Engineering E2 catch can, Umbra LED Taillights, Kenwood DMX9707S head unit, some minor interior/exterior appearance mods.

Old 03-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #13
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
The only thing about TSP is they don't have a tuner device or a tech that could tune for them like GPI does. I've had some time to think about it and I think I will go with GPI just for that reason. TSP like someone said earlier is only around $200 cheaper and they gave me a phone number to call for tuning and I thought that was kinda lame since he didn't tell me the name of the company or anything about them what so ever.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:14 AM   #14
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
The only thing about TSP is they don't have a tuner device or a tech that could tune for them like GPI does. I've had some time to think about it and I think I will go with GPI just for that reason. TSP like someone said earlier is only around $200 cheaper and they gave me a phone number to call for tuning and I thought that was kinda lame since he didn't tell me the name of the company or anything about them what so ever.
They probably gave you Jessey's phone number. He tunes all of their race cars. He has a website remotetuning.com or something like that. Sounds pretty basic. You still need to call him for the remote tuning. Is about 400 for the HP TUNERS and 300 dollars for him.
Corsa CAI w/Donalson Power Filter, BBK 1 7/8 headers, MF resonator, custom exhaust with Legato mufflers, mildly ported heads, TSP VVT 3.2 cam (whole package), 3.91 1LE gears, Circle D 3200 stall torque converter, B&M power cooler tranny cooler. Tuned by Casey TSP's tuner. 1/4 12.16 117mph with stock tires at 20 psi.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cam parts needed, camshaft, engine, naturally aspirated