Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
Cam bearing going out

I believe i have my cam bearings going out. Good oil pressure when cold oil then heats up it drops to borderline 5-6 psi at idle. I changed the oil pump to a high volume high pressure one and cold is even higher but warm oil drops to 7-8 but went low enough to throw the dic that pressure was low

Ive accepted it needs new bearings and what if i just drive it. Can it cause severe damage elsewhere in the motorw or just destroy the cam and bearings. I would like to drive it through the summer and pull it outin the winter I dont have the time in summer to work on it and i kinda dont want it to sit all summer.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I wouldn’t drive it. Your on borrowed time at best as it is with pressure that low.
I would be putting money aside for either a rebuild or a new motor. Once bearing material gets into the oil it’s pretty well done. If you haven’t got metal in the oil you MAY be able to save what you’ve got.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Keep driving it with that oil pressure and you wont have anything to repair.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Like they ^^^ said, do not drive or start that engine!

While the LS is a stout motor and can tolerate abuse more than a lot of other engines out there, it will fail just as quickly as any other if not properly lubricated.

If you get a failure from oil starvation, you are likely looking at an entire block and internals.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
LsxDoctor
15 Year LS1Tech Member

Drives: 2010 ss 391ci LS3
Doubt it's the cam bearings, especially if they're OEM.
You need to tear it down and check everything out. From the sound of it, it would be best to take it to a professional and have them clean and replace what's needed for you.

GJDM
LsxDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
How many miles is on the motor?

I agree with above unless its got major mileage its unlikely to be a cam bearing, or the oil pump for that matter (oil pumps really do not fail, they are very simple). Either way with pressure that low at idle something is very very wrong I would not drive it.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
How many miles is on the motor?

I agree with above unless its got major mileage its unlikely to be a cam bearing, or the oil pump for that matter (oil pumps really do not fail, they are very simple). Either way with pressure that low at idle something is very very wrong I would not drive it.
You’ve obviously been around here quite a while based on the number of your posts but wasn’t your era Camaro a bit notorious for oil pump failures?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
You did change the oil filter?
The oil pickup tube is all good? Don't these have an o ring on them too?
The pressure has been checked with a second method so you know it's not a oil pressure sensore bad?
If it were me I'd go thru those first. I'm not the expert on these motors but it's a few things to consider.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
flyinglow57

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
You did change the oil filter?
The oil pickup tube is all good? Don't these have an o ring on them too?
The pressure has been checked with a second method so you know it's not a oil pressure sensore bad?
If it were me I'd go thru those first. I'm not the expert on these motors but it's a few things to consider.

Changed filter

I thought it might be a rubber o ring. And double checked and triple checked when i did the new oil pump. The old o ring was perfect not pinched. I havent checked with a mechanical gauge yet. I doubt its a pick up tube clogged because its fine when its cold. Just gets very low when the temperature goes up

The oil pump relief stuck about 3 years ago. I started the car. Low oil light came on i shit it off. I replced with a high volume pump. Then last year this problem started and i put in a high volume high pressure one
The engine has 53000 miles but has had a tsp 232/236 cam for about 42k of them
Old 04-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
High pressure pump is not good , the natural result of a higher volume pump is higher pressure. Like others said its something but most likely not just the cam bearings. I break my cams in with Br30 driven racing oil,even with a 8620 core...... with the miles on your car you being cammed should have replaced the springs right now as with the miles you have on them they are most likely shot.... A blackstone report on the oil could show what is the health of the engine generally... It could be the sensor or its screen at the back of the intake manifold it could be about anything..... Good Luck, I would not drive it or even anything much with that low of oil pressure even to check it.... it sounds as if you have had this problem for a year?
Old 04-27-2019, 11:02 PM   #11
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
You’ve obviously been around here quite a while based on the number of your posts but wasn’t your era Camaro a bit notorious for oil pump failures?
Not oil pump failures, but there was a TSB for the oil pump relief valve (which yes is part of the oil pump, but suffice to say the oil pump itself is very simple and hard to fail). However the ones that were defective were failing fairly early on. If his car is a 2010 like mine its encroaching on 10 years old at this point, if it was going to fail it would have. Also in his first post he said he replaced the oil pump already with a high volume one and he still has the problem.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #12
flyinglow57

My oem ones relief valve stuck at about 40k and 7 years old. Thats the original reason to change oil pump. Went to eat came out started it up and instantly shut it off
Old 05-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #13
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinglow57 View Post
My oem ones relief valve stuck at about 40k and 7 years old. Thats the original reason to change oil pump. Went to eat came out started it up and instantly shut it off
Well color me incorrect.... But 40k is fairly low mileage in 7 years, I had almost 40k on my car by the 3rd year of owning it.

Either way you have a new oil pump, that doesn't have that issue since it was corrected, so thats not the problem.