Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #43
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Doesn't matter, if you look down the lifter bore, you will see an oil galley that goes through the block. The hole in the lifters sit in this oil galley, orientation doesnt matter, it will get oil.
Thank you very much. That was what i assumed. But i have been wrong before

Now. What are common things people forgeton new assembly? Like the oil barbell by the oil filter. Or the plug on the front of the engine? Any other little things people may forget?
Old 09-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #44
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
I don't know what people forget to do, I would suggest double and triple checking everything as you go so you dont miss anything. Pay attention to detail. Dont just slap it together, measure all your side clearances, end play, piston to deck, piston to valve etc.. Make sure all the bolt holes are clean and free of debris, and invest in a Melling prelube tank. Oil the engine until you see oil coming out of the pushrod cups and rockers. If you've got oil coming up top, you should be good to fire it up. If not, you forgot something.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #45
flyinglow57

Finally getting there. Maybe running this week. I got fed up when it took me an hour or so to get the power wire into the starter and then get the starter into place

I got really good putting the oil pump on also. Put it on. Realize i didnt have the timing chain in there. Then back off. Then chain and oil pump. Then realized i didnt have the ls2 chain damper on. Back off. Then all 3 were put on in the correct order. Other than that it has go together great and about 30-32 lbs of tq to rotate the full engine with no plugs in.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #46
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
AWESOME! Good luck with the new build. That first turn of the key will tell all and is usually the most intense part lol
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #47
flyinglow57

https://youtu.be/vyw6K5mQRWs
Old 10-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #48
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
LOL the camera shaking and falling over was perfect. Sounded really good. Hope everything is good now.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #49
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
I decided to use the comp cams pushrod measuring tool instead of the turn count style to get my preload. I also found that trying to turn an 18" or longer torque wrench in a tight engine bay while counting turns waiting for the click wouldn't work for me. I'm still glad I measured too. Exhaust and intake base circles were .022" difference. Used 2 different length push rods to get my desired preload. I also didn't like the EO-IC method much either. I just found the tip of the lobe with an old pushrod then rotated the cam 180 degrees then took my push rod measurements using the cam tool and adding my preload to determine what push rods to buy... wrong? right? I don't know, but the engine runs great.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #50
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Sounds from your wrighting like you did good ! , I break in things with BR30 because I am that tight...LOl Good Luck! I Know turning a torque wrench trying to get to a ft lb measurement for stock may be OK ;but other than that its about getting the preload just right and your measuring stuff and yes I have heard of two lengths of pushrod on here as the base circle does matter as to make different lengths required..... because not everything is Gospel any car is a collection of parts working in unison to drain your wallet!!!! Have a good Saturday! FASNUF lol.....

Measuring the distance from the zero lash to get the preload is the important part no matter how you get at it, old school its about turning pushrod til it get resistance and going from there...…...The pushrod measuring tool is just to get to the length of the pushrod to then go from there.... And Flying Low it sounds good, I worried long enough over my builds >>LOL but your camera drop is good funny stuff...LOL when I stroked I went to do a video and my wife with Piggy Slippers was giving me shit and had to laugh and could not hardly film and sounded funny trying not to laugh...…. AH funny stuff, anyway I would recommend my starter the XS torque one in my SIG as nothings really worse with the wife than getting starter heat stroke , throwing a code...LOL ( its this stroker that's so hot), and having to let it cool down a bit, to have to deal with the lack of a Oh shit bar and that its...LOL painful.... and then having to unhook the battery and rehook it back up to clear the code if its going to go limp and you have to go now...…….SOB..lol glad I got the Starter...… wonder where that old video is...LOL sounded like a Nerd... had to friggin Bite my Tounge

Anyway Have a good day gotta love these Camaros...…… And the Finger at the end with my " Sleeper" lol. Have new tires and wheel now, Getting new stripes etc Tuesday .. gotta show them off after I get them on there the Demon wraps flamin skulls...LOL

Last edited by christianchevell; 10-05-2019 at 10:23 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #51
flyinglow57

I looked in through the oil fill and didnt see any oil. Everything sounded good but didnt see any oil. So i pulled the valve cover off and saw this.

https://youtu.be/nyHp-dZaGQI

All is well