The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-31-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Any musicians on here (I am sure there are many!lol)

Hello all, one of my favorite hobbies (obsessions?) other than cars, of course, is guitars!

I build them, modify them, play them. I get together with a few friends (well not right now of course) 2-3 times a month to jam in my home studio space. Much of what we play is original music, I have been doing this for over 40 years.....
I don't gig anymore, just weekend basement warriors these days, purely for fun.

My current collection of guitars is 18 strong, 8 of which are my own creations, and half of the remaining have some modifications of some kind or another.

I currently have two new builds in progress and another starting in a week or so. All good timing considering I am sheltering at home. Between work, guitars and things to do around the house I have no issue with being bored! Plenty to keep busy and keep my mind working on other things.
I may have to build another wall rack, running out of space!

I may have more invested in guitars, amps etc. than I am paying for my new Camaro! Definitely a close second at least!

Any other music freaks out there? Let's hear from you!

Exhaust notes don't count, although they sound fantastic, not an actual instrument. LOL!!!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
I describe myself as a guitar owner much more than a guitar player... but yeah, I have been known to make some noise.

I applaud your mad building skills. I have torn a couple down to body/neck and rebuilt from there, but I have never gone "all in" and cut one out from a slab of wood.

What I currently own:
http://mullarea.com/theguitars.html
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:06 PM   #3
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Well making noise is what it's all about! I also find it best to relieve stress, relax, kind of like therapy, just not sure my neighbors agree!!! But nobody has called the police so I guess I'm good..lol

I will confess, I do not actually totally scratch build. I have pre-cut bodies and necks, know a guy who will cut to order, my specific shapes and use woods of my choice or even what I may send. Not enough room here for that level of shop equipment to do full on scratch, wish I had the space.

I just found that no matter how much money I was willing to spend there was nothing off the rack or even high end custom shop that would give me evrything I want the way I want it, so over the years I just perfected the skills to make exactly what I want. Done a few for close friends and family too, at cost or free (depending on how much I like them!) but never sell or build for profit, it is all only for fun, I have a full time career already.

I do the final shaping of body and neck, sanding, fretboard, fretwork, finishing and all of that. Final cutting of headstock shapes, all of the hole drilling and cavity routing, so almost a scratch build, certainly more than an assembly finish process.

A few are even set necks, a bit more challenging, so not simple bolt on Warmoth or anything like that, although those can be fun too!
I will have to get my act together and get pics hosted so I can post them.

The smell of lacquer and tru-oil in the morning! ha! Fun stuff.

Sweet collection you have there! Like a big, beautiful candy store! LOL
How do you like the Heritage?

I was debating one of those or the new Eastman Romeo, but I have also built 2 ES-335 types, so not sure I still need another hollow or semi-hollow, but what the heck, can't really have too many, can you? How many is too many? Just one more!
Old 03-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
How do you like the Heritage?
I feel very fortunate that I ordered it when I did. They underwent a very dramatic realignment/reorganization that saw most of the old hands sent out the door.

As far as liking it, it's the size of an LP at half the weight with all the tone of a 335 with Seth Lovers. It's basically a hand built custom shop for half what the Gibson Custom Shop would have charged, built by the people who trained the people who work for Gibson.

I have not had my hands on any of the new (post- Sept '17) Heritage models, so I can't say if there has been in change in the overall quality.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Just your run of the mill drummer dude who never got better...but the more I drink the sounder I better.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Check my handle! Yep, cars and guitars, indeed. We need the ability to upload our music, backing tracks and compositions over those tracks. WTF, we’re stuck at home anyway. Hello, mods...we could write car songs!?!

Had a ‘Chick Country’ band for a while. I was the Tele player in this awful sounding vid.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4MVr_C...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-01-2020, 05:47 AM   #7
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Cool! I knew there would be a few!

Heritage, like Gibson (which was always way overpriced) are not what they used to be, one of many reasons why I just started making my own. Fender too, they all just keep making the same overpriced stuff.

We need to start an all Camaro band! LOL!

Fast cars and old guitars......awesome!

Drummers are cool in my book, not every guitar player "ignores" the drummer. We all sound better the more we drink, don't we?
Old 04-01-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
Syclone

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Blues harp player!
Old 04-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #9
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Same as mentioned above, I used to play the guitar a lot but not really anymore.

I am curr building my own acoustic guitar.

See some progress pictures in the thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545841

I hope it will help me play a little more when I am done building it! I plan on making an electric after this one.

Show us some pictures of the one you have built!
Attached Images

1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #10
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone View Post
Blues harp player!
That's not everyday typical, at least in my circles, very cool!
Old 04-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #11
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
Same as mentioned above, I used to play the guitar a lot but not really anymore.

I am curr building my own acoustic guitar.

See some progress pictures in the thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545841

I hope it will help me play a little more when I am done building it! I plan on making an electric after this one.

Show us some pictures of the one you have built!
Really nice! I found building definitely helped my playing and more. The connection and understanding of the instrument is just taking it to another level. It is also very inspiring when you play, which again makes you play better!

Electrics are easier than acoustics, so you have already gone to the mountain! Awesome!

As for posting pics of mine, I do not have any pics hosted anywhere, all just on my hard drive and phone. I am assuming they need to be on a site somewhere to post here, correct?

Cool stuff all, keep it coming!
Old 04-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Found the "how to post pics" and seems no hosting needed! I did resize these so hopefully not too large.
First up, a Bass I built for my long time friend and bass playing com padre! Second one is next to an LP type I made for myself, more on that later....this is before strings went on of course....
Attached Images

Last edited by Nothing like an SS; 04-01-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Now onto an ES-335 type I built for my GF's daughter (orange)....and one I am currently working on for myself (blue)....The orange is in my upstairs "studio" (bedroom!) taken just before delivery to her
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #14
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Now for my LP type, I call it "Lester" also in my upstairs "studio" and the other LP type I am working on currently, this new one is a 25.5 scale and both are maple necks not mahogany, but body is mostly traditional style, maple cap on mahogany....
Attached Images