The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
AmandaRaeJean

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2013 Cadillac CTS V
Flex Fuel Tester....

Did a quick video on testing my e 85 thats been sitting for a while. Checking to see how accurate the hand held test is compared to my Flex fuel sensor. I don't have the flex fuel sensor installed on the SS just yet, so I did it with my V. Let me know what ya'll think. Feel free to subscribe if ya wanna watch me install my supercharger on the SS in a few weeks.

https://youtu.be/e2T0aFj7-l0
AmandaRaeJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Those glass vial testers that use water and the E85 mixed to read the Ethanol content are only as accurate as the person is who is reading the vial. A liquid in a vial actually forms a curve, it is called a meniscus. The sides of the meniscus are higher than the middle or bottom of the curve. The correct and accurate way to read a liquid in a vial is to read the bottom of the meniscus curve.

The other thing that throws those vials off of how much water is added, too little or too much and the E85 ratio will be off. I dont trust any gas station that says they tested their E85 with those vials. I caught our local station on 3 different E85 vehicles with a E85 sensor all showing E55-E60.

The store tested the E85 with the glass vial tester and said it was over E70.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:47 PM   #3
AmandaRaeJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Those glass vial testers that use water and the E85 mixed to read the Ethanol content are only as accurate as the person is who is reading the vial. A liquid in a vial actually forms a curve, it is called a meniscus. The sides of the meniscus are higher than the middle or bottom of the curve. The correct and accurate way to read a liquid in a vial is to read the bottom of the meniscus curve.

The other thing that throws those vials off of how much water is added, too little or too much and the E85 ratio will be off. I dont trust any gas station that says they tested their E85 with those vials. I caught our local station on 3 different E85 vehicles with a E85 sensor all showing E55-E60.

The store tested the E85 with the glass vial tester and said it was over E70.
I'll update my methods and make sure I'm doing it more accurately. Thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
It's gonna be insane once the fuel pump is squared away.

BTW, NPTF is explained here.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
AmandaRaeJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_6.2 View Post
It's gonna be insane once the fuel pump is squared away.

BTW, NPTF is explained here.
Awesome thank you!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk